Report: Butler Plans to Pursue Shorter-Term Offer Sheets; Lakers a Possibility?

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Probably. I just figure those guys might be the only ones left by 2017 assuming Hoiberg gets the most out of them. Snell might be around too I guess. Who knows what happens with Rose.
We'll see how Rose responds with an actual offseason.

If he can return to All-Star form, he'll be back with the Bulls after his contract it up I would think. I don't know if it'll be reduced contract or not. The Bulls could have some fight there if Rose still thinks he's worth a max and they don't.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
We'll see how Rose responds with an actual offseason.

If he can return to All-Star form, he'll be back with the Bulls after his contract it up I would think. I don't know if it'll be reduced contract or not. The Bulls could have some fight there if Rose still thinks he's worth a max and they don't.
I don't see the FO giving Rose another max, especially considering it'll be even more expensive with the increased cap. I guess if he puts together 2 really good years then maybe the situation is different, but it's hard to see that right now.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
It would be really a 2 year deal with the 3rd year being an option. Meaning if he produces for two years, he will certainly opt out and be an unrestricted free agent.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I don't see the FO giving Rose another max, especially considering it'll be even more expensive with the increased cap. I guess if he puts together 2 really good years then maybe the situation is different, but it's hard to see that right now.
He has to return to Superstar form to deserve another max IMO. And I don't see that happening. I think he's capable of becoming an All-Star again, but that's his ceiling.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So Butler can't plan it that way.
If I understand it right, he can only sign for 3 years anywhere else so we can basically chalk him up for max salary the next 3 years.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
If I understand it right, he can only sign for 3 years anywhere else so we can basically chalk him up for max salary the next 3 years.
Which isn't as bad then.. The Bulls are then into 2018 before he's due. Tim Duncan did this in 2000 with the Spurs. It worked out for them..... :shifty:

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Which isn't as bad then.. The Bulls are then into 2018 before he's due. Tim Duncan did this in 2000 with the Spurs. It worked out for them..... :shifty:
Interpretation: we will now be the Spurs

:troll: :elephant:

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Mark Deeks: If the Bulls offer Butler a Max QO - five years, full max salary, no bonuses, no options - he can only sign for 3 years (no opts) elsewhere. So basically, if Butler wants to sign a two year deal with a third year option, they have the ability to deny prevent him from doing that.

Kevin Pelton: If Jimmy Butler plans to pursue shorter offer sheets, as @WojYahooNBA reports, Bulls must make maximum qualifying offer to him. A maximum qualifying offer would force other teams to guarantee at least 3 years of their offer sheets, rather than 2 plus a player option.
CBAFaq:
If the player is coming off the fourth year of his rookie scale contract, then in addition to a qualifying offer, his team can also submit a maximum qualifying offer. A maximum qualifying offer is for five seasons at the maximum salary with 7.5% annual raises. It can contain no options, ETOs or bonuses of any kind, and must be fully guaranteed. When a team submits a maximum qualifying offer (in essence "stepping up" with a maximum contract offer before the player hits the free agent market), it places a more stringent requirement on other teams' offer sheets (see below).
If the player's prior team also submitted a maximum qualifying offer, then the offer sheet must be for at least three seasons (not including option years). If the player's original team exercises its right of first refusal within three days, the player is then under contract to his original team, at the principal terms of the offer sheet (but not the non-principal terms). If the player's original team does not exercise its right of first refusal within three days (or provides written notice that it is declining its right of first refusal), the offer sheet becomes an official contract with the new team.​

If I read that right, we shouldn't have anything to worry about in regards to keeping Jimmy for the next 3 years.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The other good thing about this is that Bulter's eye is still going to be to the future and the biggest contract of his career 3 years from now. It means a guy with impecable work ethic is going to stay motivated and may become one of the highest paid players in the league.

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
This is going to be the case with basically EVERY big name free agent this off season. I fully expect Aldridge, Gasol, Butler, Monroe, Jordan, Greene, Tristan Thompson, et. all to pursue the same type of deals. With the ridiculous increase coming in salaries, you would be dumb to sign a 4 or 5 year max deal this off season and lose out on millions of $$. It's a guarantee that every agent is telling their star clients this.

I stated at the beginning of the year that FO was going to regret not giving Butler 4/$48m like he wanted, and this was before he became an All-Star. He saw players like Alec Burks and Kemba Walker getting this deals, and felt he deserved the same compensation, which I agreed with. Now we're going to be paying him upwards of $17m per year to retain him.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This is going to be the case with basically EVERY big name free agent this off season. I fully expect Aldridge, Gasol, Butler, Monroe, Jordan, Greene, Tristan Thompson, et. all to pursue the same type of deals. With the ridiculous increase coming in salaries, you would be dumb to sign a 4 or 5 year max deal this off season and lose out on millions of $$. It's a guarantee that every agent is telling their star clients this.

I stated at the beginning of the year that FO was going to regret not giving Butler 4/$48m like he wanted, and this was before he became an All-Star. He saw players like Alec Burks and Kemba Walker getting this deals, and felt he deserved the same compensation, which I agreed with. Now we're going to be paying him upwards of $17m per year to retain him.
But in the scheme of a 108M salary cap, that's nothing! :smug:

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

Thompson would be utterly Special person to turn down a max contract this year.

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:

Hell I thought he was fucking full blown stupid for turning down 4 yrs 52 mil. NBA teams are Special person with player contracts.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Hell I thought he was fucking full blown stupid for turning down 4 yrs 52 mil. NBA teams are Special person with player contracts.
In 2k I resigned Butler to a contract worth around the MLE. :smug:

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
In 2k I resigned Butler to a contract worth around the MLE. :smug:
In 2k, when I was interested in my own super team, I'd just make everyone play for $1 million/ year.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
In 2k, when I was interested in my own super team, I'd just make everyone play for $1 million/ year.
I had Ray Allen and others playing for free. I didn't even try to do it, they just magically waived their contracts.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I had Ray Allen and others playing for free. I didn't even try to do it, they just magically waived their contracts.
Yeah that's some silly glitch in 2k...I've had that too. I've had rookies play 4 years for free. I was like "thanks! I can sign Anthony Davis now!"

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:

You do realize his agent is the same as Lebron's, right? He is going to sign a short term deal. I think it's pretty much a guarantee at this point. And even if it backfires, he'll just follow Lebron wherever he goes like James Jones.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
You do realize his agent is the same as Lebron's, right? He is going to sign a short term deal. I think it's pretty much a guarantee at this point. And even if it backfires, he'll just follow Lebron wherever he goes like James Jones.
No, I didn't. I just figure Thompson would take a max, given he's not worth a max.