Report: Butler Plans to Pursue Shorter-Term Offer Sheets; Lakers a Possibility?

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
No, I didn't. I just figure Thompson would take a max, given he's not worth a max.

I agree he's not worth the max but I think his agent will tell him, shorter deal now, bigger payday later.

I'm figuring a lot of players are going to be willing to take the risk and bet on themselves because the larger payday is going to be ridiculous, plus the current CBA is up for renegotiation after 2017, and it could be an even bigger payday after that.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I have much higher hopes for Mirotic than Doug.

I think Doug can only be good if his supporting cast is better than him.. Like he'll be the solid starter, but like the worst of the starting 5..Thinking like what Korver is with Atlanta.

I doubt he'll be in the league in five years. He is way slow. Bad trade by the Garfield Goose. Not much that he has done right.

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:
If you could deal Butler for the #2 pick and a future protected 1st Rounder from the Lakers...would you do it?

I believe consensus for both sides would say no- but I'd do it if I were Chicago. I think Butler has had enough of this front office and he was a Thibs guy....no question. If 3yr/50mil with an option to bolt after two years is the best the Bulls can do...

I'd deal him now.

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
If you could deal Butler for the #2 pick and a future protected 1st Rounder from the Lakers...would you do it?

I believe consensus for both sides would say no- but I'd do it if I were Chicago. I think Butler has had enough of this front office and he was a Thibs guy....no question. If 3yr/50mil with an option to bolt after two years is the best the Bulls can do...

I'd deal him now.

I would definitely do it. You would have so many options to choose from in Okafor, Russell, and Mudiay. With drafting being Forman's strength, you know he'll pick the best player available.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls

I'd deal him now.

If for whatever reason Butler wants to leave, and has his mind set on going, then yes. You pull that trigger. It both gets you a rookie blue-chip + contract, and gives you 2015-16 cap space for a FA.

TishLover

Liked Posts:
I think Butler is gone. I believe those rumors at the end of season maybe true and he probably don't want to play with Rose.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I think Butler is gone. I believe those rumors at the end of season maybe true and he probably don't want to play with Rose.
lol, he's not gone. He's an RFA. He's also posted on twitter multiple times that him and Rose are not a problem.

TishLover

Liked Posts:
lol, he's not gone. He's an RFA. He's also posted on twitter multiple times that him and Rose are not a problem.

You might be right but guy with contract(one of most important in his life) on the line may say anything his agent tells him to.
I hope you are right........

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I agree he's not worth the max but I think his agent will tell him, shorter deal now, bigger payday later.

I'm figuring a lot of players are going to be willing to take the risk and bet on themselves because the larger payday is going to be ridiculous, plus the current CBA is up for renegotiation after 2017, and it could be an even bigger payday after that.

His agent should be telling him take the max contract now lol. TT's arrow is not pointing up, he's at the peak, so he needs to sell now. Not to mention who knows what Lebron is gonna do in a couple years, who clearly has added to Thompson's value.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I would definitely do it. You would have so many options to choose from in Okafor, Russell, and Mudiay. With drafting being Forman's strength, you know he'll pick the best player available.
Unless he pulls a Tyrus Thomas again...:troll:

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
i'd want Russell if we traded up to #2

unless Wolves took Okafor then i'd want Towns but it seems like Towns is going #1

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
theres no need to trade jimmy anytime soon. he is under club control. if the goal is trying to win next season, I don't see how trading away our best player helps us accomplish that :shrug:

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:
yeah Jimmy isn't going anywhere unless he publicly states he wants out which isn't happening...and even then we could still keep him if we wanted

cjswan232482

Liked Posts:
He has to return to Superstar form to deserve another max IMO. And I don't see that happening. I think he's capable of becoming an All-Star again, but that's his ceiling.

If Derrick Rose regains All-Star level, he is eligible for max money. Just maybe not from the Bulls.

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
You might be right but guy with contract(one of most important in his life) on the line may say anything his agent tells him to.
I hope you are right........

Jimmy is one of the most honest and humble players in the entire NBA. If he says something, he means it.

It amazes me that people honestly believe him and Rose either can't or don't want to play together. How many times this year did Rose say he was working himself back into the game because he had better players around him (Butler being the main person he was referring to)? How many times did Rose willingly defer to Butler in big shot situations late in games? This notion that they had a beef is utter garbage. Part of the reason Jimmy played so well this year was due to Rose being his back court mate for the first time in his career. There is no reason to break up what is looking to be one of the best back courts in basketball for years to come. I'm pretty sure Butler sees that and has never wavered from his stance that he wants to be a Bull next year and years after that.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Seems like jimmy really wants to join the lakers. Can't really do anything about it. I wish him the best if he does leverage free agency to get out of chicago. Won't be burning any jerseys.

Lakers have the number two pick and a first team all rookie player. A trade is conceivable. Trust Gar to be interested in that kid who played in China.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
Lakers have the number two pick and a first team all rookie player. A trade is conceivable. Trust Gar to be interested in that kid who played in China.

I don't the the lakers would give us the 2nd pick. I think we would get garbage just like what the thunder got for harden.

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:
i won't dismiss the report of Jimmy and Rose supposedly having a growing tension just because its not something i want to hear....at the same time i wont take it as gospel either.....i'll sit back and see how things go

Jimmy has been building his brand up hanging with the celebs and being on late night talk shows though...so maybe he does want to have his own team somewhere

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't the the lakers would give us the 2nd pick. I think we would get garbage just like what the thunder got for harden.

I tend to agree with you, but this is the Lakers we're talking about in a different time.

The Lakers are over 30mil under the cap. If the Lakers obtained Butler in a sign & trade- that could entice Brook Lopez to opt out and the Lakers would probably the be favorites to get him. Fitting Lopez and Butler under the cap next to Kobe is possible for '15-16.

When the cap goes up to 89mil in '16-17 and then 108mil in '17-18....the Lakers will need players to attract other future FAs and the Lakers know this.

Now what I believe the Lakers will do is just be terrible for the next two years and hope they can develop young talent in that time to attract future FAs- but if I were LA...I'd act now.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
i won't dismiss the report of Jimmy and Rose supposedly having a growing tension just because its not something i want to hear....at the same time i wont take it as gospel either.....i'll sit back and see how things go

Jimmy has been building his brand up hanging with the celebs and being on late night talk shows though...so maybe he does want to have his own team somewhere
I have a hard time believing Rose and Butler are butting heads based off of their play together. For the most part they've coexisted pretty well. They were probably our two best and most consistent players throughout the postseason (which is when that report came out) and if they were fighting over control of the team, that never seemed to manifest itself.

That said, Butler building his brand is not surprising if he's trying to drive his market value up. We can pretty safely assume he'll be here for the next 3 years, but if he wants to go somewhere else after that contract, what can we do? If he plays up to what he's making himself to be, he'll be a max player again in 3 years and that number will be huge even without the Bird rights contract he can get from us. Imo the team is already his right now with the fanbase still quite sour on Rose.