Report: Butler Plans to Pursue Shorter-Term Offer Sheets; Lakers a Possibility?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I could care less about after 3 years. Lets get him for 2-3 more years and let the Rose saga play out. Let Butler feel the limelight of the team, the city. That backcourt is our only chance and its a real chance. Snell taking one more step would be sick.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If someone wants to give you Towns or Okafor nobody is untouchable.

Forget some kid from China or anyone else, don't buy into the draft hype. No team is taking anything but Towns/Okafor 1 and 2 because you don't pass on skilled 7' athletes.

Towns work ethic is the only thing that separates him from Okafor, because Okafor is an offensive talent dream. He abuses post defenders at such a young age, his game hasn't even opened up yet. He had Winslow to support him down low? Ok.... Winslow is a good player but quite a tweener down low. Okafor and Winslow were giving up plenty of pounds and length and still dominated. I believe Okafor makes a hellava #4 in the NBA. A low post scorer.

If Butler wants to leave in two years and the offer is Okafor....its a no brainer. But anything outside of that, Butler needs to be retained.

BearDen

High Ranking Member
Liked Posts:
Not sure I'd even trade Jimmy for the first or second pick. He's a proven player who gives his all on both ends of the court. People seem to forget how badly we needed a decent shooting guard on this team. Now if he wants out for whatever reason, that's a different story.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
Not sure I'd even trade Jimmy for the first or second pick. He's a proven player who gives his all on both ends of the court. People seem to forget how badly we needed a decent shooting guard on this team. Now if he wants out for whatever reason, that's a different story.

If I can trade him for towns I would do it in a heartbeat.

BearDen

High Ranking Member
Liked Posts:
If I can trade him for towns I would do it in a heartbeat.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I'm not trading someone who played some of the best basketball in the NBA this past season for someone who could end up being a bust in the NBA.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We'll have to agree to disagree. I'm not trading someone who played some of the best basketball in the NBA this past season for someone who could end up being a bust in the NBA.

both Towns and Okafor are championship upside big men, you have to make the trade for a guy with a questionable outside shot using youthful athleticism to be a +- boon for another few years until his offensive play will have to compensate his aging defense.

If you were an NBA level scout you wouldn't question trading Rose/Butler both for Towns. Just like you wouldn't with Anthony Davis.

BearDen

High Ranking Member
Liked Posts:
both Towns and Okafor are championship upside big men, you have to make the trade for a guy with a questionable outside shot using youthful athleticism to be a +- boon for another few years until his offensive play will have to compensate his aging defense.

If you were an NBA level scout you wouldn't question trading Rose/Butler both for Towns. Just like you wouldn't with Anthony Davis.

Do you honestly think Towns or Okafor have Anthony Davis potential? I'm not seeing it.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
Jimmy is one of the most honest and humble players in the entire NBA. If he says something, he means it.

It amazes me that people honestly believe him and Rose either can't or don't want to play together. How many times this year did Rose say he was working himself back into the game because he had better players around him (Butler being the main person he was referring to)? How many times did Rose willingly defer to Butler in big shot situations late in games? This notion that they had a beef is utter garbage. Part of the reason Jimmy played so well this year was due to Rose being his back court mate for the first time in his career. There is no reason to break up what is looking to be one of the best back courts in basketball for years to come. I'm pretty sure Butler sees that and has never wavered from his stance that he wants to be a Bull next year and years after that.

Lol...everything ain't sunshine and pancakes because you say it is man. There is an issue there, not saying it won't get resolved...but I guarantee you Butler thinks Rose had zilch influence on his growth. We are not talking Jordan helping Pippen here. Rose was wearing a suit a lot of the time.

BearDen

High Ranking Member
Liked Posts:
Lol...everything ain't sunshine and pancakes because you say it is man. There is an issue there, not saying it won't get resolved...but I guarantee you Butler thinks Rose had zilch influence on his growth. We are not talking Jordan helping Pippen here. Rose was wearing a suit a lot of the time.

Who cares what influence Rose had on Butler? Did someone actually imply he helped his growth? The only issue is Jimmy is not a moron, and knows a max now would be a lot less than a max later.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
Who cares what influence Rose had on Butler? Did someone actually imply he helped his growth? The only issue is Jimmy is not a moron, and knows a max now would be a lot less than a max later.

Reading is fundamental

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:

Just because some writer throws a rumor out there about a beef doesn't make it gospel either, any more than you saying you "guarantee Butler thinks Rose has zilch influence on his growth", doesn't make that gospel either. The point I was making is if someone openly does not like playing with someone, they aren't going to defer the ball to that player A LOT, especially in big shot situations, nor mention them countless times in interviews as being a great player.

And did I say he was responsible for Butler's growth? Nope. I said "Part of the reason Jimmy played so well this year was due to Rose being his back court mate for the first time in his career." For someone who is always saying "Reading is fundamental", you sure don't do it much. Having Rose in the back court with Jimmy helped take pressure off him from team defenses and there is absolutely no refuting that fact. Doesn't mean that Rose is the main reason Jimmy improved dramatically, but it certainly didn't hurt either.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't know if Rose and Butler don't like each other but all I can say is that they do not play off each other well. It almost like an "its my turn to score" scene on the court. Truth is that Rose is not a playmaking point guard. The offense stagnates when he has the ball. I think that he should play shooting guard and that they get a viable playmaker. That is what they need. Butler moves to small forward, Mirotic to power forward and Gasol and Noah split time at center with some power forward thrown in.

It is so damn obvious to me that Gar/Pax has no damn clue about what a winning team needs because they have lacked a playmaking guard for a long time. When a center(Noah), is your best play maker it is a weak thing to behold. I am upset. No question about it. And I am most upset that Gar/Pax and Reinsdork made Thibs a scapegoat after they did not give him a complete roster including a playmaker and a legit 3 point scorer (no, Dunleavy isn't). In my book, Both Paxson and Gar are nothing more than glorified bullies in suits and it is it not coincidental that good free agents want to play for them let alone play for a college coach from IOWA FUCKING STATE.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I could care less about after 3 years. Lets get him for 2-3 more years and let the Rose saga play out. Let Butler feel the limelight of the team, the city. That backcourt is our only chance and its a real chance. Snell taking one more step would be sick.

I think that depending on Snell to take a next step is very wishful thinking. I don't see the great talent in him. I see a pretty limited 7th or 8th player coming off of the bench. The Bulls need quite a bit. They have a very limited in talent bench including Snell, Brooks, and McDermott as well as a starting small forward in Dunleavy, none of whom defend very well(Snell the best of a weak group).

This is not anywhere near a championship team and will not be until they get rid of the two ass holes as in Gar/Pax.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
Just because some writer throws a rumor out there about a beef doesn't make it gospel either, any more than you saying you "guarantee Butler thinks Rose has zilch influence on his growth", doesn't make that gospel either. The point I was making is if someone openly does not like playing with someone, they aren't going to defer the ball to that player A LOT, especially in big shot situations, nor mention them countless times in interviews as being a great player. And did I say he was responsible for Butler's growth? Nope. I said "Part of the reason Jimmy played so well this year was due to Rose being his back court mate for the first time in his career." For someone who is always saying "Reading is fundamental", you sure don't do it much. Having Rose in the back court with Jimmy helped take pressure off him from team defenses and there is absolutely no refuting that fact. Doesn't mean that Rose is the main reason Jimmy improved dramatically, but it certainly didn't hurt either.
Reading IS fundamental...so is watching the damn game! You don't have to listen to writers if you watch the damn game! Watch game 6 over again and tell me Rose wasn't sulking while Butler tried to do his best Jordan imitation! Butler bet on himself last summer, not because of Rose's return, but because of the work Butler put in, working on his game. It didn't matter whether Butler had Rose or Rory Sparrow in the backcourt with him. He would have done well regardless. Any Rose just might have deferred to Butler because Rose spent most of the season not willing to drive to the basket and shooting worthless long range shots with low efficiency. Butler was the team's best player last year, along with Pau Gasol. Point guard should get the ball to the best player. A columnist AND a beat writer talked of pending issues between the two backcourt mates. Cowley doesn't have much reason to lie, he is not a Rose-hater at all. No reason not to believe.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think that depending on Snell to take a next step is very wishful thinking. I don't see the great talent in him. I see a pretty limited 7th or 8th player coming off of the bench. The Bulls need quite a bit. They have a very limited in talent bench including Snell, Brooks, and McDermott as well as a starting small forward in Dunleavy, none of whom defend very well(Snell the best of a weak group).

This is not anywhere near a championship team and will not be until they get rid of the two ass holes as in Gar/Pax.

The defense is why Snell taking the next step to claim starting SF is likely. With Dunleavy in Free Agency its going to be Snell for the three and D with just the slightest consistency in that 3-ball.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The defense is why Snell taking the next step to claim starting SF is likely. With Dunleavy in Free Agency its going to be Snell for the three and D with just the slightest consistency in that 3-ball.

Snell is NOT a great shooter. He can shoot the 3 ball but is not a player who you set up for a three. He can't handle the ball worth a shit. Dunleavy was one of the worst starting small forwards in the NBA last year and the only good thing I can say about Snell is that he's better than Dunleavy which is faint praise.

ChettheJet

Liked Posts:
Looking at the Lakers I think Butler might be their 4th or 7th option for a big signing so he would be gambling big time waiting for them to get around to him. He'd be way better off signing with the Bulls.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Looking at the Lakers I think Butler might be their 4th or 7th option for a big signing so he would be gambling big time waiting for them to get around to him. He'd be way better off signing with the Bulls.
I'd like to know if the Bulls are going to give him the max qualifying offer or not. It takes away the 3rd year option from Butler and no team can sign him to a poison pill contract. So it really plays into the Bulls hands IMO, they get him for at least 3 years before he can sign a bigger contract.

I feel the Lakers will go all in on Aldridge at this point.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:

other interesting bits

interesting considering Jimmy was supposedly one of the guys that didn't vouch for thibs return...but i guess you could be burnt out on his voice in the locker room but not hate the guy personally

Rose is supposedly happy about the Hoiberg hire...i think it was pretty clear Rose was burnt out on thibs and he said as much saying hes gone "numb" to thibs yelling not to mention kinda doing whatever the hell he wanted on the floor

Rose, who works well with all coaches and respected Tom Thibodeau, has told confidantes he's excited by the Fred Hoiberg hire.