NBA Draft: Chicago Bulls select Bobby Portis

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Our bigs are broke down and old so I would say it was a need pick. And stop thinking fa is going to save this team. We haven't been able to land the big fish despite going all in every time a big name is available

ChettheJet

Liked Posts:
How much time do some of you people invest in multi scripts to bitch about contingent on whoever they pick?

Portis was slotted 14-19 on many 'expert' mock drafts and seeing him on top of Jay Bilas' top 10 available as the Bulls pick got closer you could almost see it coming. One of the wing shooters might have been a possibility at that point but there were also teams that were reaching. You just don't pass up a player who is rated higher because of position you build as many quality players as you can find. That's what trades are for.

It's easier to find a veteran backup point guard than a have any of the 4 bigs the Bulls will be playing break down and have to get somebody mid season. I don't envision Portis playing much the first half of the year.

I don't get how people think Butler, Noah and Gibson will all be gone this year, you live in some fantasy draft and rebuild world that only exists in your demented minds. Jimmy's best bet is staying even on a short term deal only to get a better one down the road. If you think Noah is damaged goods then nobody is going to want to trade for him idiots. If you think Gibson is so replaceable you just don't watch the games very much. The only way they start trading is depending on who they can sign in the backcourt and if he is better than expected, if Mirotic and McDermott really come on strong and nobody gets hurt. Then at the trade deadline I could see them moving Snell and Gibson.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Crushes me Delon Wright goes before us and we don't trade up. I don't hate this pick, I think he can do some things Barstow cannot.

I still might have gone for Tyus Jones as I think the trade value in 2 years could be pretty high there.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Anyone who thinks Butler is gone is an extreme pessimist and doesn't understand the NBA salary cap.

I do think a big is on the move though... But its difficult to trade any of them before the season starts (given Noah's brokenness and Taj's recovery from surgery). Gasol is the only one who could realistically be moved, but again, you're not going to get much for a 35 year old PF.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Crushes me Delon Wright goes before us and we don't trade up. I don't hate this pick, I think he can do some things Barstow cannot.

I still might have gone for Tyus Jones as I think the trade value in 2 years could be pretty high there.

I don't think its worth trading up for a guy who wasn't even projected until the late 20's in most mocks. Teams were reaching at that point.

I didn't want Jones simply because I don't want another undersized PG. With Wright and Grant you were getting height there.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
I've seen A LOT of Bobby Portis, as I worked at a Fayetteville TV station for three years before moving away very recently.

As I saw the draft progressing, my only thought was, "God, don't get Portis." But you could see it coming from a mile away. I was a little ticked when the Bulls proved me right. Now I hope he/they prove me wrong.

Portis was never thought of as a great or dynamic player for the Razorbacks until the hype machine took over the last two months of the season. I admit, he played very well by college standards. I have very little confidence that will translate over into the pros.

First off, the guy is inconsistent as hell. Disappeared for long stretches and when the Hogs needed him most. He famously shirked from the spotlight and put the ball in other people's hands with the game on the line.

Don't get me wrong. It's not all bad. As far as scorers go, he's done very well for himself. Can't shoot for shit (long cold spells and then just fades into the background of a game), but the guy does know how to get to the rim.

The joke at Arkansas was that he would just jack up a shit ton of shots until he got his. I just hope he doesn't become a joke in Chicago.

Hey, I hope I'm wrong! If so, I'll gladly eat crow.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I've seen A LOT of Bobby Portis, as I worked at a Fayetteville TV station for three years before moving away very recently.

As I saw the draft progressing, my only thought was, "God, don't get Portis." But you could see it coming from a mile away. I was a little ticked when the Bulls proved me right. Now I hope he/they prove me wrong.

Portis was never thought of as a great or dynamic player for the Razorbacks until the hype machine took over the last two months of the season. I admit, he played very well by college standards. I have very little confidence that will translate over into the pros.

First off, the guy is inconsistent as hell. Disappeared for long stretches and when the Hogs needed him most. He famously shirked from the spotlight and put the ball in other people's hands with the game on the line.

Don't get me wrong. It's not all bad. As far as scorers go, he's done very well for himself. Can't shoot for shit (long cold spells and then just fades into the background of a game), but the guy does know how to get to the rim.

The joke at Arkansas was that he would just jack up a shit ton of shots until he got his. I just hope he doesn't become a joke in Chicago.

Hey, I hope I'm wrong! If so, I'll gladly eat crow.
Sounds like he needs good coaching. We'll see if that's Hoiberg or not.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
I just read the scout report on him. (Winces) It definitely seems to be written by someone who's afraid of saying anything bad about players.

Even Portis supporters will grudgingly admit his defense is suspect, yet it's listed as a strength? Oy.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I just read the scout report on him. (Winces) It definitely seems to be written by someone who's afraid of saying anything bad about players.

Even Portis supporters will grudgingly admit his defense is suspect, yet it's listed as a strength? Oy.
So uh, what are his strengths then?

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

You referring the draftexpress videos posted earlier or another scouting report?

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
So uh, what are his strengths then?

nothing we drafted the PF Marquis Teague

evil-laugh-o.gif

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
even if bobby busts atleast we aren't hornets fans

looked on a hornets blog and they are irate they took frank kaminsky over winslow

i'd hate it to if my team constantly blew high draft picks on guys like Cody Zeller and Kaminsky

if they were looking for shooting Booker would have been a better pick

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
atleast we aren't hornets fans

looked on a hornets blog and they are irate they took frank kaminsky over winslow

i'd hate it to if my team constantly blew draft picks on guys like Cody Zeller and Kaminsky
That's what happens when an overt egotistical man who doesn't have an eye for talent is running your franchise.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
if bobby bust atleast we aren't hornets fans

i'd hate it to if my team constantly blew high draft picks on guys like Cody Zeller and Kaminsky

if they were looking for shooting Booker would have been a better pick
True that. At least we don't have Zeller and Frank the tank as our starting frontcourt of the future.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Yeah, still troubling so many teams passed up Winslow actually then Miami of all teams ends up with him.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yeah, still troubling so many teams passed up Winslow actually then Miami of all teams ends up with him.
I'm convinced all those other teams are stupid.