NBA Draft: Chicago Bulls select Bobby Portis

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
Seriously AG7, your sig and avatar should be current Fat Axl with the user title "Appetite for Consumption" :D

I'm curious though, why all the GnR love? Did you just discover them?

well ive always liked some of their songs but yeah there has been a upswing in my interest in them lately...pretty much listening to AFD and UYI's everyday

been a hip hop fan my whole life but the last few years ive been pretty bored with it...im hardly checking for new stuff while im getting tired of the older stuff....so im looking for some other music to cling to

nbafan23

Liked Posts:
IDK what to think of Portis as I didn't watch much college bball this year. He seems like a solid player and the Bulls under GarPax have done a decent job at developing their late first round picks for the last 10 years or so. So lets just hope Portis can continue the trend.

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:
Regardless of how Portis does as a Bull---the Bulls had to take him at #22 as passing on him at that point would have been absurd.

No idea why he fell so far.

KingDarude7

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nice post game, high motor, and a good midrange shooter. A bit like Taj Gibson, maybe a little better offense and not as good on defense. Should be able to contribute right away.

[video=youtube_share;whMSt_vhLTs]https://youtu.be/whMSt_vhLTs[/video]

I'm excited for this pick more so now. Dude has a lot of talent, and has amazing instincts.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
i think you're way overrating Tyus...top 5 pick?

he will make a excellent back up but thats his ceiling IMO
Idk I think excellent back up is his floor. He can be a starter in this league if he improves his shot to be a bit more consistent. He's a very cerebral player and is huge in crunch time. He may be system dependent to reach his full potential, but imo he can be very good.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Winslow is too small for his style.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I will say that we got a pretty good value for a pick #22.

He has NBA size. Has good NBA mobility for a big. He was a 5* for legitimate reasons. He looks like a player that could really continue to develop with proper coaching and has the upside of an All-star given he can even shoot a bit and hit free throws too. Its a good pick that should pay off with small contributtions right away and be a starter by the post Butler era.

Usually at 22 you are compromising something. I would even argue that Miami getting Winslow (who could compliment Bosh I guess in a small ball lineup), you know Winslow is undersized and Duke would not have beaten Kentucky. They needed Wisconsin to do that because they couldn't have matched up.

Tyus Jones plays bigger than he is due to quickness, size, and intelligence/strength. Like Chris Paul who can defend even Lebron in a way. I never worried about Jones size, but even him at 22 you know you are giving something up. Length.

Portis seems like an ideal player, I like the American "scene" kids involved in pro celebrity basketball very young, camps, and prep schools. Street ball. And all that. This kid will be Rose's boy by summer and fit in well. The american street kids are so much tougher inside than the Euro stiffs. I like that he grew late, because you are talking about issues with a body like that. But to grow that late and be a 5*....

whew...I'm not surprised he disappointed his college a little due to growth and length, but I'm looking a very nice body given his age and late growth. If he fills out look out. Eventually he is the type of guy that will be pushing you around. Monroe would be a great comparison but if he fills out he could be special.

I love Winslow's body, don't get me wrong, those are the proportions you look for but he looked about 6'8" to me with some length issues against the bigger players.

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons

nbafan23

Liked Posts:
Heard Jalen Rose compare Portis's game to that of Sheed who also only played 2 years in college but Portis's numbers were a little bit better than Sheed but Sheed played under the great Dean Smith.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
Heard Jalen Rose compare Portis's game to that of Sheed who also only played 2 years in college but Portis's numbers were a little bit better than Sheed but Sheed played under the great Dean Smith.

Jalen's comparisons were awful

Menchifus

Liked Posts:
WAIT A SEC!!!! We didn't get a clutch game changer with the number 22 pick in the draft??? FIRE GARPAX NOW!!!!

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The more I watch that draftexpress scouting video, the more I think that Portis will be a very useful piece for Hoiberg to use in the future. Playing at the top of a full court press as a 6'10/6'11 250lb big man is impressive. Hopefully that shooting stroke is legit and can stretch out to the 3. If he can do that, he'll be a great small ball C in Hoiberg's offense imo. Of course, I'm thinking a few years down the line.

nbafan23

Liked Posts:
The more I watch that draftexpress scouting video, the more I think that Portis will be a very useful piece for Hoiberg to use in the future. Playing at the top of a full court press as a 6'10/6'11 250lb big man is impressive. Hopefully that shooting stroke is legit and can stretch out to the 3. If he can do that, he'll be a great small ball C in Hoiberg's offense imo. Of course, I'm thinking a few years down the line.

If Portis develops well then we can possibly see a future starting 5 of Portis, Mirotic, Snell, Butler, and Rose. I can dig it.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
yeah....deosn't he look like a tempting asset of length and mobility to have on the court for defense even before he understands offense? But if he is intelligent, and is picking up offense right away...could he be athletic enough to earn 10 minutes a game form the 5th spot? He is clearly 4 worthy right now in my opinion, I am much happier than the Bairstow decision that reeks of Murphy. Come on McDermott, your our only hope to stretch the floor significantly. Maybe we can go small ball,

but why delay when retaining Noah all season probably means he walks for nothing. Trade Noah out now and go to the more dynamic offensive players plus don't hold Portis back. He looks like a basketball player. I don't understand what he was doing there at 22. I like him better than Winslow by a good measure. But I do like Kamiskey, who is already showing range in summer league. I would love to see a McDermott vs Kamiskey shoot out game.

The Lakers were complete morons in my opinion for passing on Okafor. The scoring ability in a big that kid showed is unapassable except for a talent like Towns. Not a shooting guard. A shooting guard is often mental and you don't know who will have the will of Jordan.

sphinxnole

Liked Posts:
The Lakers Draft Guards, & Acquire Bigs..
Don't Necessarily Agree With Them This Time,
But That is Their Modus Operandi...