onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Not sure I understand your conclusion that you pay the, on average, 7th rated passer and 26th ranked yardage producer, big money, #1 overall money, because he gets to play with the #1 defense, seems very myopic, but whatever. Again time will tell.

Not sure of the 26th ranked yardage producer, but a 7.9 career YPA...considering you're getting that from a 5'11" QB. You lock that up long term.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Not sure of the 26th ranked yardage producer, but a 7.9 career YPA...considering you're getting that from a 5'11" QB. You lock that up long term.
That is just passing yards, so surely a bit higher when you factor in his rushes, but still not a offensive juggernaut, and not sure what the 5'11" has to do with it, but to me at that size, he is one RGIII hit away from obscurity, so more of a disadvantage than anything else.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
That is just passing yards, so surely a bit higher when you factor in his rushes, but still not a offensive juggernaut, and not sure what the 5'11" has to do with it, but to me at that size, he is one RGIII hit away from obscurity, so more of a disadvantage than anything else.

Well yeah...his YPA only rivals Aaron Rodgers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
We are talking about who is the best QB now. Russell is a great QB, but Aaron is better right now. Aaron just got his new contract. Is Wilson better than Rodgers now? Plus Wilson had #1 defense three years in row. What does Rodger have? Yes Rodgers had more weapons but Wilson has the better overall team. If Wilson gets paid big money, then the defense will suffer because Seattle can't pay everyone.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Huh, good info. Thanks.

That is more telling than...whatever stat you posted about passing yards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I agree that the throw wasn't perfect, but the WR didn't fight for the ball and the defender made an amazing play in his own right.

Theres a lot going on that play and the same way success isn't all attributed to one player neither is failure.
How is that different than any play? I didn't like the play call either. So what? He had 2 jobs there. Make the play and protect the victory. The 2nd was the most critical on 1st and goal and he simply failed. If Jay did that, Run The Ball would shoot Jays dog. If QBs can get killer contracts for lucky catches in SBs, they can wear the other shoe as well.

I like Wilson a lot and he should get PAID but not top player at his position pay. It's the only argument here but like all internet discussions, he's either best there is or way over hyped. He's neither. He should get paid top 5 money. Why would Seattle give him what he's asking when they could just tag him for significantly less ($18m projected) and see if his play continues. Jay's making just over $17m per over his 1st 3 years. Yes, he's overpaid but that's no justification for Wilson looking for $10m more. If he's worth $10m more than Jay, it's $10m more than Jay's true value. Not his pay of $17m though it's not nearly as over the top as his detractors would want to believe. Fact is that Wilson is not worth $10m more than Jay anyway. About 1/2 that. Jay's worth about $15-16m (yes, QBs are overpaid) and Wilson about $20-21m. What Wilson is asking for doesn't help him get more. It's so outrageous that it kills negotiation.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

If you can do it in the low 20s.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
all this talk about how its easy for wilson to be efficient and protect the ball because he has the seattle D. yet, #6...

lol

and the pick in the SB, despite being a hell of a play by the defender, was pretty much on the receiver. he ran a weak ass route and allowed himself to get blown up.

dawags

Liked Posts:
The few times I've watched Wilson I've been amazed at how often a young QB opts to throw the ball out of bounds instead of forcing a throw into coverage. I wonder how much he helps his D's ppg. by never giving his opponent's short fields to work with.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I may have missed the sarcasm if it was there but how does wanting to be the highest paid player in the league have anything to do with him being a good dude?

Money is the root of all evil bro. You can't be a good dude and want to make 150 million dollars. It's stated in the Bible somewhere I am sure of it. After you get past like 50 million, every million after that puts you one step closer to the deepest level of hell with child molesters, rapists, and mass murderers.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
all this talk about how its easy for wilson to be efficient and protect the ball because he has the seattle D. yet, #6...

lol

and the pick in the SB, despite being a hell of a play by the defender, was pretty much on the receiver. he ran a weak ass route and allowed himself to get blown up.

But you'd say Jay should have gone elsewhere, telegraphed it or threw it poorly. It was 1st down with a lot of traffic as you'd expect at the goal line and a QB that's supposed to get paid because he can protect the ball by using his legs and knowing when to dump. Things change when the field gets tight. That team is better rolling and crashing the line there. Play call definitely sucked but a vet throws it lower and in, dumps it or just changes the call. They all fuck up, even top 1/2 dozen QBs which he likely is but to be the very top dog, you make the difference to win SBs and not lose them. Pay him elite pay and maybe next time make him top dog. He's asking a silly amount and is even using baseball as leverage. I don't think Seattle bites and either he 'settles' for low 20s or gets tagged.

Throw wasn't horrible but it was high and off the WRs body and it goes to experience. If you want to pay him like a top 7 year vet QB, he should have the sort of acumen to change the call or put the ball where it can only get caught or hit the ground. He tried to lead the WR into the endzone and it got a bit high. It made the pick easier instead of a safer throw at the 1 yard line. It was a great play by the defender but it was made possible by the play call and execution. The WR route wasn't nearly as bad as you make it out to be and he opened up a bit because of ball placement. It was a bang bang play but Wilson wasn't pressured. Time to be objective here. We tend to excuse the guys we like and blame those we don't. Wilson and his coach accept the blame. We should accept that as well.
[video=youtube;U7rPIg7ZNQ8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7rPIg7ZNQ8[/video]

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The few times I've watched Wilson I've been amazed at how often a young QB opts to throw the ball out of bounds instead of forcing a throw into coverage. I wonder how much he helps his D's ppg. by never giving his opponent's short fields to work with.

And part of why he deserves top dollar. Just not the very top.

shinbet2002

Liked Posts:
It is totally up to SEA, all Wilson could do is pout and refuse to report if they choose to go that route, there is nothing to pull off. I imagine they will get something done to create good will, I personally would love to see Wilson play with another team, or even Seattle with a middle of the league defense. I just don't think he is the type of guy that can carry a team. I really think he is CK kinda good, making plays on short fields, with leads, and freedom to take risks due to the a stellar defense having his back.

I like Wilson's ball security and his playmaking, but he has ranked 28,28,22 in yards/game over his career. He has never needed to or been asked to carry a team. Cold hard fact is he will likely get overpaid, nothing he has done bears out a top 3-5 contract. When Sea d breaks up, which won't be long with the big contracts coming, he will need to answer the call to start putting up top 5 #'s which I don't see happening.
How can a so called game manager have the freedom to take risks AND be a playmaker?

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't think game manager means 'only' game manager. It's an attribute and not a negative but he's never been asked to carry a team. I don't think he couldn't for a bit but iu's point is that if he was asked to, his playing style makes him more vulnerable to injury. At 5'11" you need to find lanes and without a VG run game won't have as much time to do so. It's not like we think he can't but we don't know how well. It's that he's asking for money that says he can do it better than anyone else if asked to. I think you need to prove that before you get paid for it. I don't think anyone is saying he shouldn't get paid like a top 10 QB, just not like the best QB. If he had made his last throw, protagonists would be talking about how he won 2 SBs in 3 years. It's only fair to point out his hand in losing one.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
I don't think game manager means 'only' game manager. It's an attribute and not a negative but he's never been asked to carry a team. I don't think he couldn't for a bit but iu's point is that if he was asked to, his playing style makes him more vulnerable to injury. At 5'11" you need to find lanes and without a VG run game won't have as much time to do so. It's not like we think he can't but we don't know how well. It's that he's asking for money that says he can do it better than anyone else if asked to. I think you need to prove that before you get paid for it. I don't think anyone is saying he shouldn't get paid like a top 10 QB, just not like the best QB. If he had made his last throw, protagonists would be talking about how he won 2 SBs in 3 years. It's only fair to point out his hand in losing one.

???

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
How is that different than any play? I didn't like the play call either. So what? He had 2 jobs there. Make the play and protect the victory. The 2nd was the most critical on 1st and goal and he simply failed. If Jay did that, Run The Ball would shoot Jays dog. If QBs can get killer contracts for lucky catches in SBs, they can wear the other shoe as well.

I like Wilson a lot and he should get PAID but not top player at his position pay. It's the only argument here but like all internet discussions, he's either best there is or way over hyped. He's neither. He should get paid top 5 money. Why would Seattle give him what he's asking when they could just tag him for significantly less ($18m projected) and see if his play continues. Jay's making just over $17m per over his 1st 3 years. Yes, he's overpaid but that's no justification for Wilson looking for $10m more. If he's worth $10m more than Jay, it's $10m more than Jay's true value. Not his pay of $17m though it's not nearly as over the top as his detractors would want to believe. Fact is that Wilson is not worth $10m more than Jay anyway. About 1/2 that. Jay's worth about $15-16m (yes, QBs are overpaid) and Wilson about $20-21m. What Wilson is asking for doesn't help him get more. It's so outrageous that it kills negotiation.

Every player in the NFL fails at one point or another, but it's typically the other team making a play along with their failure. Look at Peyton's pick against the Saints in the Superbowl 5 years back. Peyton threw a ball that based on the read the defense was giving would have been open and the defense wanted to show it was open, then jump the route. As much as you are blaming Wilson for the throw you also have to recognize a great defense play. If the defender is a step slow that could easily of been the winning TD.

I'd also add that they were 'protecting the win'. They were down by 4 points, so they had to be aggressive in trying to score. They were and the defense made a great play and created the turnover.

Something important to add about contracts is that it more has to do with which contract is the most recent then how good the player is rated. What I mean by saying that is if Russell Wilson is a top 5 QB and the other 4 contracts were done 2+ years ago then he'll probably be the highest paid player. As teams' salary cap increases and they value the QB position more and more that salary keeps getting boosted upwards.

As an example look at the top average annual salaries of QBs in the NFL. Your top 5 QBs in order go Aaron Rodgers, Big Ben, Cam Newton, Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco. Aside form Rodgers it would be tough for the other 4 to make many people's top 5 list. So why are they paid so much? Their contracts were all done within the past 2 years.

For me the #1 and #2 paid QB contracts will happen next offseason with Russell Wilson and Andrew Luck. Luck will get paid more, but essentially they will slightly edge out Rodgers deal in terms of annual compensation.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I read that Wilson has informed the hawks that he wants to be the highest paid player in the league. Didn't see that coming from him. Its a shame, I thought he was a good dude.

Yeah, what a morally tainted fuck. What kind of sick game is it to work for the one who would pay you the most?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You have Marshon Lynch, there should be nothing to think about. They did steal the glory from Lynch. I know the whole world thought it was going to Lynch.

Cuz the whole world was right!! Don't overthink it....3 times to Lynch dear god or a fake pitch and keep to run with Wilson. Don't pass it. Dear god. Stupid. And Brady gets a cheapy.