Bears have actually been top 10 in drafting in past decade

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
This article's logic:

In 2009, the Bears draft Johnny Knox, Jarron Gilbert, and Joaqin Iglesias. Draft was a success because Johnny Knox was a probowler!

The draft was not a failure because two third round picks didn't make the team. I really wish people would get over the Jarron Gilbert bullshit, third round picks constantly fail in the NFL. Conte, Hardin, Wright, Bennett, Harrison, Wolfe, there's an entire list of third round guys who play a bit then play themselves right out of the NFL or don't play at all. It's the simple facts of the NFL draft.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Too bad Pro Bowls mean nothing these days. When you make a Pro Bowl because the first, second, and third options all have "injuries" and cannot play in the game it means very little.

Or you are a legacy.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
The draft was not a failure because two third round picks didn't make the team. I really wish people would get over the Jarron Gilbert bullshit, third round picks constantly fail in the NFL.
Juaquin Iglesias played in 1 NFL game with 0 career catches, Gilbert played in 5 NFL games with 2 career tackles, both lasted just one season with the Bears, two years earlier, Dan Bauzin was a 2nd rounder that never saw the field in the NFL, same with Michael Okwo drafted in the 3rd round.
I'm not sure how you don't understand that if you are missing on the first 3 rounds consistently you r team is going to suck. And as for some of JA's later round picks, sure he had some 4ths and 5ths get PT, but shit, that is a lot easier when you aren't clogging your roster with usable first three round talent.

L GUAPO

Liked Posts:
Ok buddy, calm down.

It might help if we were talking about the same article. I merely read the one linked in the OP

We have been bad in the 1st round but seem to find quite a bit of all pros in the 2nd and 3rd round over the years. We also ha e to take into account we haven't been drafting top 3 every year and busting often like the Lions and Rams lol

We finally got a top 10 pick so I think we can add one more solid pro to our list in the near future. Graham and Knox shouldn't be on that list but then again other teams probably have STers also

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Top 3 round picks in the last decade alone ....

Mark Bradley
Cedric Benson
Dusty Dvoracek
Dan Buzuin
Garrett Wolfe
Michael Okwo
Chris Williams
Marcus Harrison
Jarron Gilbert
Jaquin Iglesias
Game Carimi
Chris Conte
Shea McLellin
Brandon Hardin
Jon Bostic

"Ouch" is an understatement. You'd have to actually try really hard to fail that badly in the first three rounds of the draft.

Les Grobstein

Liked Posts:
Even if that is the metric they're using to determine successful draft picks (a ridiculous one), how are there still only 9 other teams that bested the Bears?

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
The draft was not a failure because two third round picks didn't make the team. I really wish people would get over the Jarron Gilbert bullshit, third round picks constantly fail in the NFL. Conte, Hardin, Wright, Bennett, Harrison, Wolfe, there's an entire list of third round guys who play a bit then play themselves right out of the NFL or don't play at all. It's the simple facts of the NFL draft.

One thing to not be that good. It's another to completely fail. A 3rd round pick is still in the top 100 picks. Top 100 picks, getting cut before their 2nd year is not good no matter how you slice it. It's not like the 5th or 6th where you're expecting special teamers (Graham) or gambling on raw players with upside (Knox).
Major Wright and Chris Conte aren't complete failures. They were mediocre players who looked better with better talent/scheme around them....and looked a lot worse when talent/scheme was worse. But in all honesty, getting 94 combined starts out of a pair of 3rd round safeties is pretty decent on the surface. Wright also contributed a lot as a rookie, with 0 starts. Bennett also did OK, even earning something beyond his rookie contract.

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights

You are a fucking stupid bitch. I'd like to stab you to death and play with your blood.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
You are a fucking stupid bitch. I'd like to stab you to death and play with your blood.

im worried about you ziggy I think you need to talk to your doc your scripts aren't keeping up

L GUAPO

Liked Posts:

Feed me a stray cat. Lol Classic movie. We just can't draft 1st rounders as good as most teams. Thankfully we hit on 2nd and 3rds over the years. Studs like Tillman Kreutz Briggs Mike Brown Parrish Hester Colvin Alshon and Forte....those were some awesome gems!

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Juaquin Iglesias played in 1 NFL game with 0 career catches, Gilbert played in 5 NFL games with 2 career tackles, both lasted just one season with the Bears, two years earlier, Dan Bauzin was a 2nd rounder that never saw the field in the NFL, same with Michael Okwo drafted in the 3rd round.
I'm not sure how you don't understand that if you are missing on the first 3 rounds consistently you r team is going to suck. And as for some of JA's later round picks, sure he had some 4ths and 5ths get PT, but shit, that is a lot easier when you aren't clogging your roster with usable first three round talent.

I also hate when 4th and 5th round selections are thought to be a sign of geniousness as JA would say. Fuck, if you knew these guys were this good, why would you wait and assume that nobody else can see it. Yes, you picked them but they would have been taken within a few more picks anyway. These are players that just went where they were supposed to go an you get lucky on the result. Generally, you got lucky because you had a need.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
I also hate when 4th and 5th round selections are thought to be a sign of geniousness as JA would say. Fuck, if you knew these guys were this good, why would you wait and assume that nobody else can see it. Yes, you picked them but they would have been taken within a few more picks anyway. These are players that just went where they were supposed to go an you get lucky on the result. Generally, you got lucky because you had a need.

This argument is always so idiotic though. That's what scouts are all trying to do and do rate guys differently. And if you look around the league, because teams have a decently strong read for where most guys are going.. why would you take a guy you like but know is considered a 4th rounder across the league with your 2nd round pick!? You've just screwed yourself of other talent you didn't need to take as high as you did. That's exactly why people moan over the concept of "reaches"

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Now that's idiotic. Assuming that you know how other teams rate a guy that you think will be a star is not how any competent GM thinks. Most that any GM will do is stretch it one round and hope for a bit of luck because they have another need and that position is not as stocked. You don't let 31 other teams have a few extra shots at a guy you need and rate earlier than that because you think you're that much smarter than everyone else.

Most that happens is that there's a loaded position and you wait because you think one of your likes is there but you have no choice which one and you happen to get lucky. If that's what you're trying saying, I don't disagree but it didn't read that way to me and was much more specific. If you think one of those if far better than another, you take him early and don't wait for what's left. You are way overthinking this. JA was often guilty of overthinking drafts and outsmarting himself. Trading down and losing players he thought would fall etc.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
There is no sense in some thinking a guy will be a star or having any high certainty and strong ends.

Your connotation is if you don't have this supreme love of the guy and think he's worth taking high end at a pick, it's just you lucking out to grab the guy. It is actually far more complex than that and it's why you sit and order a board based on evaluations of many minds from the areas scouts, to head scout, and others. Later picks are more indicative in how well your scout staff was doing because most 1st rounders the GM will have seen himself plenty.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You're arguing against yourself and saying that guys go where they should. That's my point. It's not geniusness when a guy that goes in 5 becomes an all pro. It's just a good pick out of what's left. If a scout thinks a guy's that good, the GM is made aware and sees that tape etc. There's nothing hidden or mystical about it and if the GM agrees, the guy goes earlier. Lots of teams have great scouting departments. You're competing for great players. If you have a need and like a guy, you take him. The process may be complex but making the pick really is that simple. You don't pass because you hope he'll fall unless you have stronger needs on a similarly rated players or you're simply full at the spot.

I mean, how genius were we to not draft Christian Jones so that we could secure Charles Leno?

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Yeah, if Belichick came out and said we knew Brady had HOF stuff, but felt no one else knew it and we could steal him in the 6th, you wouldn't think him smarter. More an idiot for taking that risk. At best, good GM's have the ability to identify traits that give late rounders a better chance at success. So much has to do with drive, desire, opportunity, and any other # of unquantifiable qualities.

I hope Mark Hatley didn't draft Paul Edinger in the 6th, thinking he could snag Brady in the 7th.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Because it's not elaborate, I guess it seems odd to me you're arguing against some straw-man of genuineness that I don't get where it comes from. Sure I'm aruging against "my point" because that isn't My Point, but you're propping up it as if it's simply luck. Which is pretty all or nothing silly in both views.

ShiftyDevil

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Washington Huskies
The article is stupid, the pro bowl is stupid. The Bears have not been anywhere near a top 10 drafting team in the past 10 years.