For those who think we are headed in the right direction

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
I get it. I just think hiring Fox is the easy, obvious, and what I would call conservative pussy move because you are afraid to make a mistake. Not going Fangio as head coach is safer in the short term, but if Fangio turns out to be the real deal he is gone.

I don't give Fox all the credit for his leadership with a highly talented Panthers team, or the Manning Broncos. I think he is a good head coach leader type for this era of players. Schematically and in the future I would project that Fangio is better for your defense though.

I'm saying its the gutsy move to project who the best head coach for the Bears is in 2019 instead of taking the easy route in 2015. We will be looking for a new head coach when the QB after Cutler fails, while Fangio will be dominating in St.Louis or something.

Not every good coordinator wants to be a HC. Fangio was content in San Francisco being the coordinator. He could easily excel here for many years.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I get it. I just think hiring Fox is the easy, obvious, and what I would call conservative pussy move because you are afraid to make a mistake. Not going Fangio as head coach is safer in the short term, but if Fangio turns out to be the real deal he is gone.

I don't give Fox all the credit for his leadership with a highly talented Panthers team, or the Manning Broncos. I think he is a good head coach leader type for this era of players. Schematically and in the future I would project that Fangio is better for your defense though.

I'm saying its the gutsy move to project who the best head coach for the Bears is in 2019 instead of taking the easy route in 2015. We will be looking for a new head coach when the QB after Cutler fails, while Fangio will be dominating in St.Louis or something.

Or Bears could promote Fangio

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
It's the same as every season. The lower your expectations you have going in the more you'll appreciate any success they have.

I'm not saying to be negative, but just lower your expectations a bit. For example:

- Assume all rookies won't contribute because statistically not all players work out and they still have to develop.
- Know with all the changes there will be learning curves, so playoffs shouldn't be expected.
- Look for development throughout the season. Expect them to make some mistakes, but towards the end of the season you are not seeing that mistake, or seeing it at a far lesser rate.

Poppasmurf

Liked Posts:

I don't follow you train of thought in this argument. How is Fangio all that much riskier of a pick? Do we know anything about his ability to coach an entire team as opposed to just a defense? Also, he's 56, 4 years younger than Fox, with NO head coaching experience. There just isn't much upside with Fangio ESPECIALLY if you can retain him on the roster.

I can kind of see where you are coming from if we had to make a decision btwn Fox as head coach or Fangio as head coach, but that's not the case.

AHSIllini32

Liked Posts:

"Talented Panthers team"? Really? The same "talented" team that won one game the year before he got there? Your blind hate for Fox is funny.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They may have very well hired Fox (and his staff) because of their experience. Conservative? Maybe by But had they done something risky, on the edge, like hiring a HC from the Canadian Football League (sound familiar) people would have lost their shit. People are worrying or about who is going to be the coach in 2019? How many coaching positions are "safe" for a coach in three more season? Pretty much anyone besides Bellicheat are candidates for being fired three years from now.

There's a lot of hand wringing before training camp starts. The Bears have experience at HC/DC/OC and we are not supposed to worry about 2019. How long has it been since the Bears hired a HC with HC experience? Seems like they have been taking non-conservative choices since the 60s. And that has worked out so well! The present staff hasn't entered training camp, much less coached a game and the Bears are already doomed. Somehow, I think there are a lot of people here, and elsewhere, that do not share this concern.

Culpfiction

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fuck 50 point blowouts. I'm looking to see that I don't see 50 point blowouts against us.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I just want to see coaches to put guys in positions to get the most out of them. No more little guys playing 2 gap, abandoning the run or telling the safeties to run up.

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:
I just want the games to not be such shit that it makes me want to turn off the TV before the half. Prior to last season, no matter how bad games were, I don't think I've ever turned off the game mid-way out of frustration and boredom. Last year, I think it happened for at least half the season where by the 4th, the game was so uninteresting and the players so flat and unmotivated to even scratch back, that the games became a huge bore.

Baredown3rdplace

Liked Posts:
A good start would be at least not getting swept yet again by 2+ other teams in the division. Usually one of the steps for a rebuilding team is to do well, winning at least 6-7 of their home games. Be a team that wins at home. You may still totally suck on the road, even get blown out here or there, but it's massively important to always be winning at home.

And to the one guy... we are nowhere near GB, lions, or vikings level. Not even close. Sorry. That doesn't mean with some massive luck, injuries, etc. we can't finish 3rd in the division, it's just not very likely.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
An actual running game that is consistent. A defense that gets better each week. Special teams actually contributes. Players who don't give up midway of the season. Players don't bitch and moan to media. Coaches who don't out their players. That's want I want to see improvement n

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
You have an aging RB, a rookie C and two tackles that can best be described as serviceable to poor in the run game; people need to temper expectations of us mauling people on the ground this yr.

I really don't get what the hell fans saw last yr that would have informed them in some way, shape or form that running the ball a lot more would have been a successful strategy. I thought they could have ran it a LITTLE more on 1st and 2nd and manageable, but nothing that dramatic.

Also, I want to see a defense that is well positioned and coached by the end of the yr and to see the younger players contribute, especially at WR and LB and OL this yr.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
You have an aging RB, a rookie C and two tackles that can best be described as serviceable to poor in the run game; people need to temper expectations of us mauling people on the ground this yr.

I really don't get what the hell fans saw last yr that would have informed them in some way, shape or form that running the ball a lot more would have been a successful strategy. I thought they could have ran it a LITTLE more on 1st and 2nd and manageable, but nothing that dramatic.

Also, I want to see a defense that is well positioned and coached by the end of the yr and to see the younger players contribute, especially at WR and LB and OL this yr.

If the offensive line can stay healthy this year, it is light years better than what it was last year. Slauson was out and you had literally the worst center in the NFL. Monty or Grasu will be better than Garza.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
If the offensive line can stay healthy this year, it is light years better than what it was last year. Slauson was out and you had literally the worst center in the NFL. Monty or Grasu will be better than Garza.

Do you know how often all 5 OL stay healthy? I'll give you a hint, it isn't that much.

It's best to plan looking at your depth along the OL. You may like your starters and identify a few key players, but overall you have to know the backups will start a few games and you'll be relying on an unproven commodity to protect the most important position on the field.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Do you know how often all 5 OL stay healthy? I'll give you a hint, it isn't that much.

It's best to plan looking at your depth along the OL. You may like your starters and identify a few key players, but overall you have to know the backups will start a few games and you'll be relying on an unproven commodity to protect the most important position on the field.

Hey, it happened for Green Bay last year.

But I don't mean no injuries. Just not several major ones like last year.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Hey, it happened for Green Bay last year.

But I don't mean no injuries. Just not several major ones like last year.

But really how bad were your injuries in relation to other teams? For example, my Eagles didn't start the same five-man group for a single week in 2014. Instead of a single starting five, the Eagles used seven different starting combinations along the offensive line, featuring 10 different players.

Granted that might be the extreme example, but in the grand scheme of things how bad were the injury issues for the Bears? Was it an abnormal amount of injuries or about par for an NFL team?

I'd be curious to see what the average number of different OL starting combos there were for 2014. That would be a good measuring stick in terms of how many injuries to expect and how truly ravaged your specific team was.

da_bears6

Liked Posts:
But really how bad were your injuries in relation to other teams? For example, my Eagles didn't start the same five-man group for a single week in 2014. Instead of a single starting five, the Eagles used seven different starting combinations along the offensive line, featuring 10 different players.

Granted that might be the extreme example, but in the grand scheme of things how bad were the injury issues for the Bears? Was it an abnormal amount of injuries or about par for an NFL team?

I'd be curious to see what the average number of different OL starting combos there were for 2014. That would be a good measuring stick in terms of how many injuries to expect and how truly ravaged your specific team was.

The Bears used 8 different combinations featuring 9 different players(they only carried 9). They made it about one half of week one with their starting five of 2013 who started every game together before the injuries started.

The line was pretty bad in 2014 for the Bears.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
But at the same time think we will not have a good record yet because we are not "there yet". Let's assume you are right and we struggle to a 5-11 or 6-10 record.

What will you be looking for during the games that will lead you to believe that we truly are on the right path rather than a new team with different players and coaches that simply just sucks again?

Will it be reduced penalties and bonehead decisions? I still think those are things that young talented players can have and learn from and still be good players later on.

Will it be a close points for vs points against margin? This I could see. If we are losing to good teams by less than a touchdown, that could be a good indicator.

What else about a bad record can lead you to believe that we are headed in the right direction for 2016?

Over 30 points in at least 4 games... that will take a couple stops by the d and a real offensive effort.

Most importantly, watching the d.
The deep D line rotation better produce pressure, and I dont want the d to get gashed in any particular facet on a regular basis. I don't give a fuck if they rank 11th against the pass if they are giving up enough run plays to let teams control the clock.
on the flip side, I dont want to rank well against the run because teams are throwing the ball all damn day.

The 3-4 is a tricky balance, and they focused on the line this year- I dont expect miracles, but middle of the road in all defensive categories will make me happy.

As for the offense- I do not give a shit. Cutler is a marked man and will be sent packing at the end of the year. Forte, for all he has done, is getting old and will likely be gone by the time the bears are in the playoff hunt again.
Keep the young guys healthy and that is about it.