For those who think we are headed in the right direction

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
But at the same time think we will not have a good record yet because we are not "there yet". Let's assume you are right and we struggle to a 5-11 or 6-10 record.

What will you be looking for during the games that will lead you to believe that we truly are on the right path rather than a new team with different players and coaches that simply just sucks again?

Will it be reduced penalties and bonehead decisions? I still think those are things that young talented players can have and learn from and still be good players later on.

Will it be a close points for vs points against margin? This I could see. If we are losing to good teams by less than a touchdown, that could be a good indicator.

What else about a bad record can lead you to believe that we are headed in the right direction for 2016?

Gangsta

Liked Posts:
The young players start to develop and show their potential.

Poppasmurf

Liked Posts:
You know good football when you see it. I'd be looking to see

What (if any) progression young players are making
Whether we are losing schematically or because of lack of talent/injuries etc...
Progression-- are we better at the end of the year then we are at the beginning?
Heart/desire/can do-- whatever you want to call it, are our players busting their asses or are they cashing the chips in
QB-- I'll be looking to see if we fail because of the guy we have at quarterback. If he accounts for 3-4 losses and we're 7-9 6-10, that could be enough to be a playoff team with a servicable qb.

There's really a lot that goes into it. Most of it I think you can see, I'm not sure there is any quantifiable number that would make me think we are trending up.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
But at the same time think we will not have a good record yet because we are not "there yet". Let's assume you are right and we struggle to a 5-11 or 6-10 record.

What will you be looking for during the games that will lead you to believe that we truly are on the right path rather than a new team with different players and coaches that simply just sucks again?

Will it be reduced penalties and bonehead decisions? I still think those are things that young talented players can have and learn from and still be good players later on.

Will it be a close points for vs points against margin? This I could see. If we are losing to good teams by less than a touchdown, that could be a good indicator.

What else about a bad record can lead you to believe that we are headed in the right direction for 2016?

I will be looking for this coaching staff to not wait until week 16 to bench Cutler. That will tell me we have the right group in place to lead.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
And for the record, 6 wins is very optimistic if you ask me.

Jechang

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
assuming there is a good crop of talented QBs coming out in the 2016 draft, simply being bad enough this year to be in a position to get one of them would be moving in the right direction.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We have conservative pussy owners who can't get this thing right. they hired a mediocre pussy players coach who isn't bad, he just wasn't the right hire and I'll tell you why.

We are in year 1 of a 3 year rebuild. The major reason people are so excited is because of Fangio. By the time this rebuild comes to fruition Fangio will be gone. Why do we have the technician now?

We need Fangio long term. We should have head coached Fangio and kept him until he dies. The minute this team has any success Gase/Fangio will be poached and sure Fox is an NFL man with lots of friends, he will keep slotting capable individuals, but I just have a feeling Fangio and his staff are the ones worth keeping for like 15 years. We could have had the real deal long term and been the management team that solidified the Bears.

Jechang

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We have conservative pussy owners who can't get this thing right. they hired a mediocre pussy players coach who isn't bad, he just wasn't the right hire and I'll tell you why.

We are in year 1 of a 3 year rebuild. The major reason people are so excited is because of Fangio. By the time this rebuild comes to fruition Fangio will be gone. Why do we have the technician now?

We need Fangio long term. We should have head coached Fangio and kept him until he dies. The minute this team has any success Gase/Fangio will be poached and sure Fox is an NFL man with lots of friends, he will keep slotting capable individuals, but I just have a feeling Fangio and his staff are the ones worth keeping for like 15 years. We could have had the real deal long term and been the management team that solidified the Bears.

While I agree that it would be great to somehow lock down Fangio long term as a coordinator, your assumption is that he would be a good HC...yet there are numerous examples of how great coordinators don't always make great head coaches. I think the massive failings of Trestman, as one such example, were exactly why we had to go with a proven HC.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wait, so they shouldn't have hired Gase/Fangio because they are so good that they'll get poached? So the "conservative pussy owners" hired guys that are excellent coaches who are both head coaching material but they shouldn't have hired them? Shouldn't fans want a coaching staff that is going to start them in the best direction possible? Just don't follow.

To the OP. I think you look for player development. I think you look at if the team is better at the end of the year than the beginning. They cold start 1-4 but what if they finish 4-1 (just numbers guys, not saying either will happen)? That would be development for the entire team. I think keeping games a bit close would be a good sign, too. Not letting teams put up 50 pts. in back to back games is a start!

policeman

Son of beech
Liked Posts:
Not giving up 50 points to any team we play

Not giving up 40 points to any team we play (for a whole game- not just before half time).

Not being completely out of any game before half time

Very few losses by double digits

The season not being over before Thanksgiving

The bar is pretty damn low.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Going north and South instead of east and west :yep:

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

You are talking about the owners that just fired 2 coaching staffs in 3 years and ate money both times?

Treehorn

Liked Posts:
Many fans thought we had the talent to compete last year and actually many "experts" picked us to win the division last year. Considering we had the worst coaching staff last year and now have one of the better coaching staffs, I am optimistic that we will not be as bad as everyone thinks. For crying out loud, we had 5 wins with Trestman and Tucker last year which is about equivalent to a deep playoff run considering how inept those two were.

Color me homer, especially in a division where I am still not convinced Detroit and Minnesota are better than us.

8-8

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I'll just deal with whatever W/L record plays out, and check in here to see if Omeletpants' dick is still intact. Is that reasonable?

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
I will be looking for this coaching staff to not wait until week 16 to bench Cutler. That will tell me we have the right group in place to lead.

I was gonna continue this argument in hell I don't know thread 25000 but ill just add this

101352-tom-hanks-knock-knock-go-fuck-wmLy.gif

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wait, so they shouldn't have hired Gase/Fangio because they are so good that they'll get poached? So the "conservative pussy owners" hired guys that are excellent coaches who are both head coaching material but they shouldn't have hired them? Shouldn't fans want a coaching staff that is going to start them in the best direction possible? Just don't follow.

To the OP. I think you look for player development. I think you look at if the team is better at the end of the year than the beginning. They cold start 1-4 but what if they finish 4-1 (just numbers guys, not saying either will happen)? That would be development for the entire team. I think keeping games a bit close would be a good sign, too. Not letting teams put up 50 pts. in back to back games is a start!

I get it. I just think hiring Fox is the easy, obvious, and what I would call conservative pussy move because you are afraid to make a mistake. Not going Fangio as head coach is safer in the short term, but if Fangio turns out to be the real deal he is gone.

I don't give Fox all the credit for his leadership with a highly talented Panthers team, or the Manning Broncos. I think he is a good head coach leader type for this era of players. Schematically and in the future I would project that Fangio is better for your defense though.

I'm saying its the gutsy move to project who the best head coach for the Bears is in 2019 instead of taking the easy route in 2015. We will be looking for a new head coach when the QB after Cutler fails, while Fangio will be dominating in St.Louis or something.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

How does anyone know Fangio would be a good HC? Marinelli was 0-16 as a HC yet is a solid DC. Your posting fails.

Last edited: