Does the Jimmy Butler deal kind of bother anyone else?

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Why are Bulls fans the only people who question Butler's contract?

I never see any analysts on ESPN or NBATV question this deal. Just Bulls fans.
No one is satisfied

BearDen

High Ranking Member
Liked Posts:
I think that the Bulls are just stuck and will be stuck for a while. They still lack a playmaker and are unable to attract any free agents because no one wants to play for Reinsdork.

What teams do you really root for? You're not a Bulls, Hawks, or Bears fan from what I gather. All you do is piss and moan.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
I think that the Bulls are just stuck and will be stuck for a while. They still lack a playmaker and are unable to attract any free agents because no one wants to play for Reinsdork.

well they are certainly stuck for this year but after this season noah is a free agent and i dont see him coming back unless its on reduced salary and a bench role. Gibson will almost certainly get traded this year unless portis struggles acclimating or gets injured. They dont lack playmakers, they lack an inside game and i think its a myth that free agents dont want to play for reinsdorf, you show them the money and they are signing unless there are multiple teams courting that player then its a tossup.

The bulls need to clear out the bigs on the roster, gibson for a pg preferably.

ChettheJet

Liked Posts:
It doesn't bother me one bit. I see Jimmy as a player who can improve, not the huge leap he made to last year but a more consistent shooter from inside and behind the arc. I also think he's more the type to be a team leader than Derrick Rose. Rose just doesn't seem to command the attention of the team to follow his lead. Yeah he can be the point guard distributor and hit the last second shot but Jimmy is more the, come on you guys get with it and let's take this game, type of player. He also stands up to the bully on the other team, the Bulls may not beat Lebron, they may not stop him but they don't look afraid of him and they make him work for what he gets. And he's not the only one.

I also think that when the cap goes up Jimmy's contract will look like a bargain. So will Dunleavy's even if by the end of the year or next year McDermott steps up and is the starter. Dunleavy will look like a minimum deal while he's in a 6th man role.

FireFox

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why are Bulls fans the only people who question Butler's contract?

I never see any analysts on ESPN or NBATV question this deal. Just Bulls fans.

Well, we should question it. Right now we are still a second round team. Yes, you need foundation pieces but I don't know if right now Butler is a huge cornerstone piece. If he can become consistent then this deal will be great. I guess there are still a few what-ifs on Butler right now.

FireFox

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It doesn't bother me one bit. I see Jimmy as a player who can improve, not the huge leap he made to last year but a more consistent shooter from inside and behind the arc. I also think he's more the type to be a team leader than Derrick Rose. Rose just doesn't seem to command the attention of the team to follow his lead. Yeah he can be the point guard distributor and hit the last second shot but Jimmy is more the, come on you guys get with it and let's take this game, type of player. He also stands up to the bully on the other team, the Bulls may not beat Lebron, they may not stop him but they don't look afraid of him and they make him work for what he gets. And he's not the only one.

I also think that when the cap goes up Jimmy's contract will look like a bargain. So will Dunleavy's even if by the end of the year or next year McDermott steps up and is the starter. Dunleavy will look like a minimum deal while he's in a 6th man role.

I believe he still can improve too. I just hope he becomes a consistent player. I do agree with the defensive skill of butler though. He is not afraid of the challenge. If he can be come consistent on the offensive end then you're absolutely right, this contract would look like a bargain.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well....Butler is a positive contributor to winning basketball. His defense and 20 is phenomenal. Is Scottie Pippen a max player? Jeez. I mean if you could pry away Aldridge or Leonard great, spend the money there. But there aren't talent like Butler available and you could be giving Amino 35 instead.

Would you prefer he walk without compensation to the lakers and sign for max with them? How can you be anything but happy about this because not signing him and losing him to free agency for nothing would have been disaster.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I believe he still can improve too. I just hope he becomes a consistent player. I do agree with the defensive skill of butler though. He is not afraid of the challenge. If he can be come consistent on the offensive end then you're absolutely right, this contract would look like a bargain.
How is 20ppg not consistent?

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well....Butler is a positive contributor to winning basketball. His defense and 20 is phenomenal. Is Scottie Pippen a max player? Jeez. I mean if you could pry away Aldridge or Leonard great, spend the money there. But there aren't talent like Butler available and you could be giving Amino 35 instead.

Would you prefer he walk without compensation to the lakers and sign for max with them? How can you be anything but happy about this because not signing him and losing him to free agency for nothing would have been disaster.

That is very true. WIthout Butler they maybe do not even make the play-off let alone advance. I do think that they are going to have to blow up this team including Rose eventually getting traded. But Butler is, I think, their best asset and when the salary cap gets bumped up, his contract will make him affordable when he enters his prime. Hopefully, by then the one shot wonder and Garfield Goose will be gone.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
well they are certainly stuck for this year but after this season noah is a free agent and i dont see him coming back unless its on reduced salary and a bench role. Gibson will almost certainly get traded this year unless portis struggles acclimating or gets injured. They dont lack playmakers, they lack an inside game and i think its a myth that free agents dont want to play for reinsdorf, you show them the money and they are signing unless there are multiple teams courting that player then its a tossup.

The bulls need to clear out the bigs on the roster, gibson for a pg preferably.

Yeah, thats probably the logical move but unfortunately teams are going to be hesitant to trade for Gibson because of his surgery. I love Gibson and would miss him. I think that if Rose had some of Gibson, Butler, and Noah's committment of playing both sides of the court, the Bulls might have looked at a couple of championships. OF course he has also been unlucky in terms of injuries.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
If butler continues to perform at the same level he did last year he is worth max. You are worth what owners are willing to pay you. If there was no max contract guys like durant and james would make way more. I hate when fans like to discuss arbitrarily which players are worth maxes. Is Monroe worth a max? What about love or bosh? Maybe, maybe not. Skill is irrelevant when discussing max contracts. Jimmy was paid what he was worth. If the bulls didnt give him the max someone else would. Its that simple. If no team was willing to offer jimmy a max and the bulls did then it would be bad contract. But that wasn't the case. You dont have to the skill level of a james, durant or anthony davis to get a max. You just need to have teams willing to offer it to you.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah....how many players have a max?

It means your top 50 or 75 anyway.

Butler is young and there are about 30 teams that would pay him the max if they could.

BearDen

High Ranking Member
Liked Posts:
That is very true. WIthout Butler they maybe do not even make the play-off let alone advance. I do think that they are going to have to blow up this team including Rose eventually getting traded. But Butler is, I think, their best asset and when the salary cap gets bumped up, his contract will make him affordable when he enters his prime. Hopefully, by then the one shot wonder and Garfield Goose will be gone.

Blowing up the second best team in the EC will certainly help us beat Lebron and the Cavs, solid logic as always by you.

cjswan232482

Liked Posts:
Look on the bright side. If this was 5 years ago, Carlos Boozer and Luol Deng would have commanded 20 million plus a year in this environment.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Blowing up the second best team in the EC will certainly help us beat Lebron and the Cavs, solid logic as always by you.

What difference does it matter if they are second fiddle to the Cav? They got rolled by the Cavs and barely beat the Bucks because they do not have a skilled playmaker. They still do not and we had one of the worst starting players in the NBA in Dunleavy and no point guard worth a shit. And don't mention Rose because he is not a point guard. The draft didn't improve any of this and they had no room to sign anyone and our two best big men are coming off injuries as in Noah and Gibson. Basically they are fucked and should recognize it because they do need to revamp the entire team.

The outright ignorance of Gar/Pax has resulted in what we have now. Namely a team without skilled players who can handle the ball and set anyone up. Noah is the best one they have and he has been playing hurt and questionable next year. That is a pretty sad state of affairs.

Johnnyt237

Liked Posts:
If we drafted Jones as 22. Instead of going BPA then you would bitch about how we love small PGs. If this team was blown up. You would bitch about taking so long to throw in the towel.

BearDen

High Ranking Member
Liked Posts:
What difference does it matter if they are second fiddle to the Cav? They got rolled by the Cavs and barely beat the Bucks because they do not have a skilled playmaker. They still do not and we had one of the worst starting players in the NBA in Dunleavy and no point guard worth a shit. And don't mention Rose because he is not a point guard. The draft didn't improve any of this and they had no room to sign anyone and our two best big men are coming off injuries as in Noah and Gibson. Basically they are fucked and should recognize it because they do need to revamp the entire team.

The outright ignorance of Gar/Pax has resulted in what we have now. Namely a team without skilled players who can handle the ball and set anyone up. Noah is the best one they have and he has been playing hurt and questionable next year. That is a pretty sad state of affairs.

:dontsay:

stevethacreator

Liked Posts:
Butler's career is still developing, and this season we saw it was developing for the better. Give'em the money, we need to build a team, he's a crucial piece; A smart deal if you ask me.

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:

We didn't get "rolled" by the Cavs. There was one game which was a blown out basically from start to finish (game 6 where clearly the team quit on Thibs). With less than 2 minutes remaining in game 4, it was looking like we would take a commanding 3-1 lead in the series. A couple secured rebounds, a non-call on Lebron's ridiculous flopping, and that may well have happened. And that was without our 2nd best player (Pau Gasol since the 1st half of game 2). Barely beat the Bucks? We were one play away from sweeping them but Rose fell asleep on defense & then the team shot like crap the following game. There was never any doubt we were beating that team. The Bulls also posted the largest margin of victory in team history in game 6 with a 120-66 victory. The Bucks happened to be the 3rd best defense in the league so struggling a bit against them was somewhat expected, especially with Rose only playing his 4th game back from surgery, and Butler only back for a week and a half at that point.

Your thoughts on Dunleavey have been proven wrong over and over again. With him out of the lineup, the Bulls lost 10 of 17 games, while struggling on both sides of the floor. Why? Because Dunleavey is a glue player. He does the little things that don't show up on stats sheets that get you victories. Oh and he just so happens to be the best shooter on the team from any range, whose floor spacing is absolutely critical when you have a back court that consists of 2 players who create on drives to the hoop. You know who recognized this when we played them? Lebron James, who targeted MDJ as his #1 FA target.

You may not want it mentioned but ROSE IS A POINT GUARD AND THE BEST PLAYMAKER ON THE TEAM. I seriously doubt some times if you even watch the sport you consistently whine about. And btw, our best big is PAU GASOL. You know, the guy who led the entire league in double-doubles last year and made the all-star team? All this team needs is basically health. If we remain healthy, we are the best or second best team in the East and a top 5 team in the league STILL, despite no flashy names joining the team in the offseason.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
We didn't get "rolled" by the Cavs. There was one game which was a blown out basically from start to finish (game 6 where clearly the team quit on Thibs). With less than 2 minutes remaining in game 4, it was looking like we would take a commanding 3-1 lead in the series. A couple secured rebounds, a non-call on Lebron's ridiculous flopping, and that may well have happened. And that was without our 2nd best player (Pau Gasol since the 1st half of game 2). Barely beat the Bucks? We were one play away from sweeping them but Rose fell asleep on defense & then the team shot like crap the following game. There was never any doubt we were beating that team. The Bulls also posted the largest margin of victory in team history in game 6 with a 120-66 victory. The Bucks happened to be the 3rd best defense in the league so struggling a bit against them was somewhat expected, especially with Rose only playing his 4th game back from surgery, and Butler only back for a week and a half at that point.

Your thoughts on Dunleavey have been proven wrong over and over again. With him out of the lineup, the Bulls lost 10 of 17 games, while struggling on both sides of the floor. Why? Because Dunleavey is a glue player. He does the little things that don't show up on stats sheets that get you victories. Oh and he just so happens to be the best shooter on the team from any range, whose floor spacing is absolutely critical when you have a back court that consists of 2 players who create on drives to the hoop. You know who recognized this when we played them? Lebron James, who targeted MDJ as his #1 FA target.

You may not want it mentioned but ROSE IS A POINT GUARD AND THE BEST PLAYMAKER ON THE TEAM. I seriously doubt some times if you even watch the sport you consistently whine about. And btw, our best big is PAU GASOL. You know, the guy who led the entire league in double-doubles last year and made the all-star team? All this team needs is basically health. If we remain healthy, we are the best or second best team in the East and a top 5 team in the league STILL, despite no flashy names joining the team in the offseason.

Rose is not a playmaker. He does NOT set any of his teammates up. Truthfully, he should be a scoring guard paired with a playmaker with Butler going back to where he belongs as in small forward. This team will not contend this year with our weaknesses at the guard positions. It was halthy last season after Rose got back and made not one bit of difference in the play-offs. They are stuck and should rebuild.

As for dunleavy being a "glue player", that is a joke, right? He was the worst starting small forward in the NBA both offensively a defensively. He should never have been re-signed. They should have used the money to starting rebuilding the guard position with young two way players instead of guys like Hinrich and Dunleavy.