Are We Sure Butler Is The Best Option?

DaRev

Liked Posts:
I am not against Jimmy in any way. I think with a coach that doesn't play him to exhaustion that he will have a big year, but I question if he is our best option.

Jalen Rose predicted that the Bulls would land Wesley Matthews if they didn't get Buttler back. They have almost identical offensive per 36 numbers and are very similar players on defense. Matthews is even a better 3 pt shooter and is more of a spot up player, which the Bulls could use.

http://www.basketball-reference.com...m=1&p1=matthwe02&p2=butleji01&p3=&p4=&p5=&p6=

If we gave Matthews $30M ($3M more than he is making now and he is coming off an injury) and didn't sign Dunleavy, would we have been better off using the money we saved to get an essential piece like Boogie or some combo of Hibbert/Beverley/Stuckey/Jordan Hill/enter vet here? Thoughts?

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
For the record, Matthews wanted 15M per year from the Mavs. If we're spending that much on a player, might as well be Jimmy. Even if we didn't sign Jimmy or Dunleavy at all and just renounced everyone's rights, we'd have only the MLE available to sign someone. At the market rate, that'd be enough to get us...Mike Dunleavy. Oh hey.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Matthews is also coming off the worst injury in basketball. He may never live up to any contract he gets at this point.

ChettheJet

Liked Posts:
Tell me what kind of Character you think Matthews or any of the other players you want instead have. You probably don't know, all you know are stats. I think the Bulls probably have a pretty idea what kind of people those other players are and they know Jimmy and keeping a locker room free from drama is a part of basketball that few around here ever take into consideration. Just a couple of me first players can destroy a team and getting rid of them is costly.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
there was no other options

Jalen was talking out of his ass...he don't know jack about the salary cap obviously

theinfamousdvs

Liked Posts:
No one was pursuing Jimmy because they knew the Bulls would match the offer. The worst case scenario would have been Jimmy playing for the QO and skating. This is a win.

DaRev

Liked Posts:
Tell me what kind of Character you think Matthews or any of the other players you want instead have. You probably don't know, all you know are stats. I think the Bulls probably have a pretty idea what kind of people those other players are and they know Jimmy and keeping a locker room free from drama is a part of basketball that few around here ever take into consideration. Just a couple of me first players can destroy a team and getting rid of them is costly.
I've never heard anything bad about him but you may be right. Regardless I don't think if any of these guys came that it would destroy the team

DaRev

Liked Posts:
Matthews is also coming off the worst injury in basketball. He may never live up to any contract he gets at this point.
The injury is bad but he is a spot up shooter and those types of players' careers usually aren't recked by big injuries

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
Yes, he was the best option. The bulls suck at getting free agents. It would suck even more if they cant keep there own.