2015 cubs in season trades

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Its over. Cubs told reporters no more trades. They only did those two moves.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
We filled some holes and kept the loaded farm system fully in tact. Obviously it wasn't the big splash we were all looking for but Theo and Jed are methodical. They are 100% committed to staying the course, which is sustained success over a long period of time. These moves will help us compete a bit more this season but realistically our window starts next year and will remain open for upwards of a decade.

Watch us reel in a Big Fish in FA this winter. We're going to be scary next year.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Not thrilled by the Hunter trade. He's fine but would have preferred someone other than Lake headed to the O's. Harren trade isn't spectacular but I think is fine. They couldn't protect Ivan anyways and i'm not even sure who Soto is so he must not be much.

Interestingly, both Hunter and Harren fall into the low bb/9 type the cubs are starting to prefer it seems having traded for Hendricks, signed Tseng and so on. So, it's possibly they see more out of a guy like Hunter.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
We filled some holes and kept the loaded farm system fully in tact. Obviously it wasn't the big splash we were all looking for but Theo and Jed are methodical. They are 100% committed to staying the course, which is sustained success over a long period of time. These moves will help us compete a bit more this season but realistically our window starts next year and will remain open for upwards of a decade.

Watch us reel in a Big Fish in FA this winter. We're going to be scary next year.

Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah.

All this happy horseshit about the farm system just means the Cubs aren't committed to winning RIGHT NOW.

If you ask me, it's a freaking disgrace that a team in a wild card race, and who hasn't even been to a WS in SEVEN decades, fails to make impactful moves prior to the trade deadline. They still need an ace-caliber pitcher and a power bat to contend. This is the reason no one takes Chicago sports seriously. Same old sorry @$$ Cubs.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:

All this happy horseshit about the farm system just means the Cubs aren't committed to winning RIGHT NOW.

If you ask me, it's a freaking disgrace that a team in a wild card race, and who hasn't even been to a WS in SEVEN decades, fails to make impactful moves prior to the trade deadline. They still need an ace-caliber pitcher and a power bat to contend. This is the reason no one takes Chicago sports seriously. Same old sorry @$$ Cubs.

I'd worry more about the White Sox doing absolutely nothing, as opposed to what the Cubs are doing.

Padres wanted to be blown away, Yankees, Astros, Red Sox, and Cubs decided not to deal with them. What does that tell you?

" It tells me the Cubs are cheap and don't want to win" .... Take a seat

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
I'd worry more about the White Sox doing absolutely nothing, as opposed to what the Cubs are doing.

Padres wanted to be blown away, Yankees, Astros, Red Sox, and Cubs decided not to deal with them. What does that tell you?

" It tells me the Cubs are cheap and don't want to win" .... Take a seat

First of all, my post had nothing to do with the Sox. Second, I have criticized the Sox about their inability to improve the roster on the Sox board.

Lastly, take a look at the trade activity around the league. Every team in contention, and a few like the Rangers who are not, have made impactful moves. The Cubs had enough talent and depth to acquire Price, Upton, Kimbrel and other talented marquee players. They chose not to move on them because they're "committed to the farm system." This is a small market mentality, and it won't work because there are too many variables working against you.

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:
First of all, my post had nothing to do with the Sox. Second, I have criticized the Sox about their inability to improve the roster on the Sox board.

Lastly, take a look at the trade activity around the league. Every team in contention, and a few like the Rangers who are not, have made impactful moves. The Cubs had enough talent and depth to acquire Price, Upton, Kimbrel and other talented marquee players. They chose not to move on them because they're "committed to the farm system." This is a small market mentality, and it won't work because there are too many variables working against you.

You act like this is the only year to win. Even if we made a big trade, winning with 4 rookies doesn't happen very often and I don't expect the Cubs to change that trend. This year is/was not World Series or bust. I'm fine with the deals we made

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

No one acquired Upton or Kimbrel so suggesting the cubs should have is a bit unrealistic. Pads apparently think they can still compete. As for price, cubs had no one like Norris. Maybe Detroit would have taken Baez instead. Maybe not. We don't know. But if they wanted good pitching close to the majors the cubs had nothing for them.

Regardless, pitching in large part hasn't been the cubs problem. Clearly they needed a more solid #5 but the cubs are #7 in starter ERA and that's with their #5 being a bit of a train wreck. What would really improve the team is a bigger bat. But who that was traded should it have been? Tulow? Wouldn't make a lot of sense given they already have a log jam at SS/2B. Cespedes? Maybe but he's more of a corner guy and Cogs/Deno have been really good in LF and obviously Soler is in RF. Gomez again maybe but Fowler has been very good post all-star break and looks poised for a good 2nd half.

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:
No one acquired Upton or Kimbrel so suggesting the cubs should have is a bit unrealistic. Pads apparently think they can still compete. As for price, cubs had no one like Norris. Maybe Detroit would have taken Baez instead. Maybe not. We don't know. But if they wanted good pitching close to the majors the cubs had nothing for them.

Regardless, pitching in large part hasn't been the cubs problem. Clearly they needed a more solid #5 but the cubs are #7 in starter ERA and that's with their #5 being a bit of a train wreck. What would really improve the team is a bigger bat. But who that was traded should it have been? Tulow? Wouldn't make a lot of sense given they already have a log jam at SS/2B. Cespedes? Maybe but he's more of a corner guy and Cogs/Deno have been really good in LF and obviously Soler is in RF. Gomez again maybe but Fowler has been very good post all-star break and looks poised for a good 2nd half.

Derp Derp, Cubs Sucks, I'm a Sox fan, derp derp. Cubs should've sold the farm for a wild card spot, Derp.

I agree with you wholeheartedly.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
You act like this is the only year to win. Even if we made a big trade, winning with 4 rookies doesn't happen very often and I don't expect the Cubs to change that trend. This year is/was not World Series or bust. I'm fine with the deals we made

The Cubs will be in the same situation next year, and for the forseeable future unless they spend money or make some impactful trades for MLB ready talent.

This lack of urgency or committment to winning now is what gets the Cubs on the No Trade list of virtually every star player in the league. It's a defeatist mentality.

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:
The Cubs will be in the same situation next year, and for the forseeable future unless they spend money or make some impactful trades for MLB ready talent.

This lack of urgency or committment to winning now is what gets the Cubs on the No Trade list of virtually every star player in the league. It's a defeatist mentality.

No, we won't be. All of the rookies will have a lot more experience and we're going to have a chance to sign a top notch free agent. If we were in position to win the NL Central, I guarantee you that we would've made a bigger trade at the deadline. Why mortgage the future for a possible wild card spot?

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:

Regardless, pitching in large part hasn't been the cubs problem. Clearly they needed a more solid #5 but the cubs are #7 in starter ERA and that's with their #5 being a bit of a train wreck. What would really improve the team is a bigger bat. But who that was traded should it have been? Tulow? Wouldn't make a lot of sense given they already have a log jam at SS/2B.

Gotta stop you right there. Any GM who doesn't trade Castro and/or Russel for Tulo is a certifiable nutjob. He's the best SS in baseball and it's not even close. Hell, I would have given Colorado Castro, Russel and three or four prospects for Tulo. Admittedly, SS is not a need for you guys, but passing up on Tulo if given the opportunity is epic fail.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
Derp Derp, Cubs Sucks, I'm a Sox fan, derp derp. Cubs should've sold the farm for a wild card spot, Derp.

I agree with you wholeheartedly.

Merp Derp, Sox suck, Cubs can do no wrong, Sox fans are low class south side scum.

Typical inarticulate, immature response to someone with a Sox logo in their avatar.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I'm not exactly dancing in the street over the Haren deal but it cost little or nothing to bring him in...if it works out, it was a steal....if it don't, nothing lost. I agree with you on their progress. I thought that they could be contenders and take a step forward and they have done that...no way did I think they were ready to play in late October.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:

Oh dear lord. It's back.

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:
Merp Derp, Sox suck, Cubs can do no wrong, Sox fans are low class south side scum.

Typical inarticulate, immature response to someone with a Sox logo in their avatar.

Firstly, I'm from the south side. I live 5 blocks away from Comiskey. Never did I say the Cubs can do no wrong. The Sox DO suck. That said, you sound silly saying we should be in "win-now" mode and implying we should have traded anyone necessary to make that happen

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:
I'm not exactly dancing in the street over the Haren deal but it cost little or nothing to bring him in...if it works out, it was a steal....if it don't, nothing lost. I agree with you on their progress. I thought that they could be contenders and take a step forward and they have done that...no way did I think they were ready to play in late October.

Bolded

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:

Was I expecting more yes? The Cubs should have added a starter that allowed them to bump Hendricks to the #5 slot. A trade with the Padres seemed almost too perfect to not happen, but it didn't. I'd probably be a little mad if the Padres went on to trade Ross/Kimbrel/Upton to the Astros or those guys elsewhere but they decided to hold on.

The Cubs aren't in a position to trade for elite rentals. This team has no shot at the division title, and would need a heck of a run to even get the #1 WC spot. I don't think it's a small market mentality. I didn't see the Yankees, or Angels selling what young pieces they have to add many players.

That's not true anymore. Many players have come out talking about what the Cubs have going on now. Price, Harper, Archer, etc. Those aren't minor role playing players, those are franchise talents taking notice. At least they were in trade talks as opposed to sitting out on the sidelines the whole time. I trust the front office to the point that if there was a great deal out there, they would have taken it.