The curious case of Shea McClellin

Ron Burgundy

453568340-e1408026898971.jpg

Sometimes draft picks don't pan out. That happens. Some have a resergance of their career and end up being the player they were projected to be. Just where does Shea McClellin fit in with this?We are about to find out.With the hiring of Vic Fangio the Chicago Bears are going to be installing a 3-4 defense. *This defense is more 'Shea-Friendly' compared to Phil Emery's designated spot of putting him at defensive end, seeing that fail and giving him a shot at linebacker(where he was mediocre at best).Fangio will be keeping Shea at linebacker; plugging him at first as ILB and hope the best for his transition. If we know one thing about Fangio and his history which shows he has a great defensive resume.Hopefully he can find a way to make Shea blossom into the player he was selected to be at 19th overall in the 2012 Draft. At the time, many draft experts saw Shea as a 5th round talent; not a first. And it did not help Phil Emerys case of the pick once he gave the ringing endorsement of "Blue Chip special teamer" in regards to his thoughts on* Mclellin. Not exactly words Bear fans wanted to hear when discussing a 1st round pick.So installing a 3-4 defense will allow Shea to use his (so far limited) talents in finding open gaps to shoot through and his speed. Things that Fangio covets in linebackers and a 6'3 260 pound frame that would ideally have coordinators drooling. But, as we have seen so far, Shea has been unable to get off blocks, found himself out of gaps too much last year, although much of that can be blamed on Mel Tuckers and his lost, inept no identity driven defense that left much to be desired.[caption id="attachment_38883" align="alignleft" width="250"] A new defense could help Shea McClellin fit in. If not, his Bears career is likely over.[/caption]Instead Shea will find himself again in his usual spot of one final round of redemption. He has the backings of new head coach John Fox who said he has a "bright future" and Fangio, who chimed in saying: "He has a chance to be a good inside linebacker.”With the blessings and optimistic approach the coaches are giving Shea, there is a small chance we could see a much reformed and aggressive McClellin who can finally be put to good use and not used as a "blue chip special teamer."What Shea will need to do is embrace, and accept his role of inside linebacker with the fast hard hitting approach mentality we are used to seeing out of our linebackers. It's Shea's time to step up in the batters box and work on all the small things he failed hard over the past few seasons. Getting off blocks, staying committed and disciplined to* his craft while being agressive when the play is in the works.After watching some of the games from last season and concentrating on Shea, you can just tell he was timid and very unsure of himself. Big downfalls in the NFL world is lacking confidence and it was quite apparent Shea didn't have much. The changing of guards at head coach will surely help tremendously, as will having a new scheme that will show a reinforcement of discipline and a more natural position for Shea as he enters year two of playing linebacker.Hopefully with a much more respectable and talented coaching staff; Shea can realize some of his more natural talents and blossom into the player we all envisioned only a few seasons ago.

More...

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
There is nothing curious about him he was over drafted after a stand out Bowl game against Arizona State and a strong off- season showing where he performed well in two padded practices and that hype carried over into the draft. He was a correctly placed third round prospect in a weak pass rush class where no one really stood out. He came in and immediately proved he can't play at this level.

He consistently gets washed out by tight ends and full backs where as he should be winning matchups against offensive tackles. He doesn't have any real NFL athleticism nor does he show any functional strength or basic technique. There are absolutely zero aspects to his game that you can work with. There's nothing football related to his game no consistency no instinct no potential. He's one of the least promising players on the roster at the moment if not the absolute least promising. He's John Thierry part two and I can't wait until the Bears cut him.

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
(X) is 6"3 245-265lbs....

(X) Runs a damn fine 40 at that size.

( ) Has a lot of football talent as compared to other NFL players.

10597673-large.jpg

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
There is nothing curious about him he was over drafted after a stand out Bowl game against Arizona State and a strong off- season showing where he performed well in two padded practices and that hype carried over into the draft. He was a correctly placed third round prospect in a weak pass rush class where no one really stood out. He came in and immediately proved he can't play at this level.

He consistently gets washed out by tight ends and full backs where as he should be winning matchups against offensive tackles. He doesn't have any real NFL athleticism nor does he show any functional strength or basic technique. There are absolutely zero aspects to his game that you can work with. There's nothing football related to his game no consistency no instinct no potential. He's one of the least promising players on the roster at the moment if not the absolute least promising. He's John Thierry part two and I can't wait until the Bears cut him.
your wrong man shea has shown plenty of signs he can play on the nfl level the problems been shit def schems him being shuffled around playing out of position just watch after this first season with fangio you will be saying how could they have wasted 3 years of this guy

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
Hbkrusso;2197734[B said:
]your wrong man shea has shown plenty of signs he can play on the nfl leve[/B]l the problems been shit def schems him being shuffled around playing out of position just watch after this first season with fangio you will be saying how could they have wasted 3 years of this guy

1395555009998.jpg

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
your wrong man shea has shown plenty of signs he can play on the nfl level the problems been shit def schems him being shuffled around pthenlaying out of position just watch after this first season with fangio you will be saying how could they have wasted 3 years of this guy

Really? Show me a play where Shea McClellin beats an offensive tackle off the edge with a clean first step for a sack and if you find one, find me another. Then show me where he gets off a block and makes a tackle for two yards or less.

dabearsjjk

Liked Posts:
I also heard about him going around Webb clean in practice

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
Really? Show me a play where Shea McClellin beats an offensive tackle off the edge with a clean first step for a sack and if you find one, find me another. Then show me where he gets off a block and makes a tackle for two yards or less.

its all in the official shea mac thread ive shown tons of stuff hell go look at the sack where he injured Rodgers exploded out of his block and ran Rodgers down. the talents there this team squandered it with bad coaching and playing him out of position up to this point. I think fangio has recognized sheas talents and is using him properly now.

what we have to ask ourselves is why is it so far into a kid like sheas career that the bears as an org are just now putting him in the position too succeed

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
its all in the official shea mac thread ive shown tons of stuff hell go look at the sack where he injured Rodgers exploded out of his block and ran Rodgers down. the talents there this team squandered it with bad coaching and playing him out of position up to this point. I think fangio has recognized sheas talents and is using him properly now.

what we have to ask ourselves is why is it so far into a kid like sheas career that the bears as an org are just now putting him in the position too succeed

Specifically, what are his top 5 football talents in your opinion?

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

Holy shit!!! Dude, you need to get a hold of V Fang pronto. He has got that fool running with the 1's and calling the defensive plays. He needs to know to ditch that chump asap!!!!

Mitchapalooza

Burn in hell Ron, you can't even format correctly. Worst bot ever.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
my prediction for shea this season stats wise will be somewhere around 50-60 tackles 4ish sacks and we will see him get a couple ints even in this defence. is that stellar world breaking play no but it will be a vast improvement and show exactly the signs of things to come in this defense

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
Holy shit!!! Dude, you need to get a hold of V Fang pronto. He has got that fool running with the 1's and calling the defensive plays. He needs to know to ditch that chump asap!!!!

**looks at Omega wristwatch and realized it's the beginning of July**

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
ill ad work ethic

and speed speed speed

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
dude has football iq.

his speed

motor never stops

versatility

his measurables

Football IQ?

He hasn't displayed great field speed at all.

He plays with fine effort, but just isn't good.

Versatility only comes when you're a quality player at different positions, not an inferior one.

Measurables/Speed......really, so you can't even name 5 without overlap? Also, measurables aren't football skills.

Does he beat OT's off the snap often?

Does he shed and tackle well?

Does he pursue efficiently to the ball well?

Does he hold the POA well?

Does he fight off blocks from backfield players well?

Does he have good counter moves in the PRush game?

Can he win 'RIGHT NOW" in the run game and be disruptive?

Do i need to keep going?

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
Football IQ?

He hasn't displayed great field speed at all.

He plays with fine effort, but just isn't good.

Versatility only comes when you're a quality player at different positions, not an inferior one.

Measurables/Speed......really, so you can't even name 5 without overlap? Also, measurables aren't football skills.

Does he beat OT's off the snap often?

Does he shed and tackle well?

Does he pursue efficiently to the ball well?

Does he hold the POA well?

Does he fight off blocks from backfield players well?

Does he have good counter moves in the PRush game?

Can he win 'RIGHT NOW" in the run game and be disruptive?

Do i need to keep going?

he can and has done all of those things your hating on him now but just wait after this season your gonna see the kids took a lot of fucking shit he hasn't deserved

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
he can and has done all of those things your hating on him now but just wait after this season your gonna see the kids took a lot of fucking shit he hasn't deserved

I hope so, I really do, but he hasn't done any of those things well in the NFL consistently up till now.

You can't honestly tell me you think he holds off blockers well at the POA and uses good counter moves in the pass rush game as far as his career so far, cmon now, don't make yourself look like a homer.

It's one thing to think he has untapped potential, but you can't simply make up stuff he hasn't shown yet.