SI ranks the starting QBs 1-32, where is Cutler?

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Foles is good man. People like to forget he had 2 INTs all year and 27 TDs in 2013. Then he got injured in 2014. Kaepernick is better IMO because he has the legs. Very similar QBs between them 2 but he's younger, more time to improve + faster.

I didn't even have to include Kapernick but Foles is heading into year four and this Rams offense is ready to come together. The Bears tried to unload Cutler to the Rams but they wanted nothing to do with that garbage and chose Foles. I'll trust their evaluation and watch Foles take that next step.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
There's six QBs on that list who are or who will be better than Cutler by the end of the season so at best he's the 23rd best QB in the league, wooooooooop 23rd best QB inthe NFL! Playoffs here we come!

Well, if you're going to play that game, there are at least 3 QB's a head of Jay who should be behind Jay on that list, in my opinion. Cam Newton, Stafford and Romo.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Bears will draft a QB next year and early, first or second round. Unless Cutler has a CAREER season, this is probably his last year with the Bears, MAYBE one more as the rookie gets trained.

Mitchapalooza

Well, if you're going to play that game, there are at least 3 QB's a head of Jay who should be behind Jay on that list, in my opinion. Cam Newton, Stafford and Romo.

Newton has better stats, Stafford has better stats and Romo has much better stats.

Supercalifragilizer

Liked Posts:

Crazy talk.

Looking at that list there is no one 1-16 that Cutler should be above, no way. Personally i'd rank him about 20-21. Kaep & Foles > Cutler. I'd prob take Alex Smith over Cutler too. Limited maybe, but at least you know what Smith will do, thats virtually half the battle. If it wasn't for his post-season record i'd take Dalton over Cutler. Of course playoff record only matters once you get to the playoffs.....

Carr and Bridgewater haven't had time to show much. Personally i was unimpressed with Carr last season. Bridgewater winning OROY was just ridiculous, but he at least gives you hope, unlike Cutler.

So yeah, Cutler ranks definitely in the bottom half of starting QB's. And this from one of the highest paid QB's in the league last season. Absolutely hideous.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
Mistakes and leadership are problems, but there’s nothing a coach can’t ask him to do on the field.

Except dont make mistakes and lead.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
There's six QBs on that list who are or who will be better than Cutler by the end of the season so at best he's the 23rd best QB in the league, wooooooooop 23rd best QB inthe NFL! Playoffs here we come!

Is that just because he doesn't have Webb blocking for him oh great and all knowing swamie. The great predicktor. We should call you pricktor for short.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
Palmer and Eli I may not fully agree, but a reasonable case can be made...Ryan is a reach, no reasonable fan puts Cutler ahead of Ryan...and you are out of your mind with Tannehill, he is already much better than Cutler

meh that's why I said 14-15ish ryans a questionable one kind of a toss up because like Cutler he has failed to get it done but I take cutler over ryan because he has done more with less imo throughout his career

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Foles is good man. People like to forget he had 2 INTs all year and 27 TDs in 2013. Then he got injured in 2014. Kaepernick is better IMO because he has the legs. Very similar QBs between them 2 but he's younger, more time to improve + faster.

I am on board with Foles, But cannot share the Kaep-love. Dude has absolutely zero touch on his passes. everything is a laser with him. Too many tipped passes as a result.

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My corrections above and below Cutler would definitely be
Over Cutler- Bridgewater. I like what he does and think Turner will have him in a great spot this year. 2-1 td to int ratio for sure.
Foles- Shitty year last year, but he will rebound. The comments of him being "too medthodical" is exactly what the Rams need with that defense.
Smith- nothing special, but careful and will not kill you in a close game. I like him as a QB on a strong defensive team, would take him over cutler in a heartbeat if the defense was good, would be a coin flip given the d situation we had last year, so smith has a slight edge for me.
Carr- the kid came on strong last year. Gonna be a good player, has all the skills and is getting better weekly.

Should be below Cutler- Eli manning. Captured lightning in a bottle a couple times with a stellar d, but those days are over. Makes just as many bone headed decisions as Jay, and is spotty at best with the deep ball. Eli in chicago would be abysmal.
Cam Newton- this will be an unpopular choice i bet, but I just am not impressed by the running QBs. they are nice occasionally, but when the legs go, he is a lesser version of alex smith. Not gonna defend the choice of newton below Cutler, just an opinion.

As far as Kaepernick goes- I would drop him back behind Bradford, Bridgewater, foles and Bortles.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Clearly I'm responding directly to the person I just quoted but the general sentiment is also directed at the horde of apologists that are illogically terrified at the thought of Chicago Bear football life after Cutler.

But why? Why is this even necessary? It's 2015 not the 1950's where the passing game was new and kids didn't had exposure to it. The kids entering the NFL now a days have been slinging it all over since high school.

If you have a HOF'er like Brett Favre as your current QB, then sure, you obviously are in no rush and have the luxury of bringing the next guy along slowly. But when your current guy is Jay "fuck-stain" Cutler what exactly is the point of waiting? Answer: there is no point waiting.

Mental reps holding a clip board are vastly overrated. You get better by game experience. Let the new kid get out there as soon as possible and start the development process. It's not like he'll be walking into a team devoid of offensive talent and setup to fail. The Bears have a solid OL now and a nice stable of talent at the skill positions.

If Pace drafts a QB early like he should and not hope and pray for some UFA miracle then the next QB should absolutely be ready to start day 1. He might not set the world on fire right out of the gate and take his rookie year lumps but there's no guarantee that same thing won't happen after holding a clipboard for 2/3 years.

Hate to break it to you but holding a clipboard for Cutler and taking mental reps doesn't make it some guaranteed lock the new guy turns into the next Aaron Rodgers.

I'm curious, do you like the way the Cleveland Browns' approach finding the QB position? They draft QB with a high pick until it is obvious that the QB is not an NFL starting QB then they draft and start another one. The Browns would love to be able to draft an average QB or even a below average one, but it is not that easy. To the rest of the world the Browns approach is an embarrassment, but this is the formula that you think we should follow, just so we can cut an average QB in Jay Cutler?

Tim Couch, 1999-2003, drafted No. 1 overall by the Browns in 1999
Luke McCown, 2004, drafted by Browns in fourth round in 2004
Charlie Frye, 2005-07, drafted by Browns in the third round in 2005
Brady Quinn, 2007-09, drafted by Browns 22nd overall in 2007
Colt McCoy, 2010-12, drafted by Browns in third round in 2010
Brandon Weeden, 2012-13, drafted by Browns 22nd overall in 2012
Johnny Manziel, 2014- , drafted by Browns 22nd overall in 2014

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wow, RG3 at number 31. Thats gotta sting.

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Romo has the second highest career QB rating of all-time behind Aaron Rodgers, would you like to try again?

I literally cannot think of a single thing on a football field that Cutler does better than Romo.
Romo's worst season passer rating wise is better than Cutlers best.
He is coming off 2 consecutive seasons with a 3-1 td to int ratio, Cutler has never had a 2-1.

A lot of the homerisms and what ifs i can understand... But Cutler over Romo is a mind blowing stretch. I literally cannot even comprehend how someone can justify that statement.

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I'm curious, do you like the way the Cleveland Browns' approach finding the QB position? They draft QB with a high pick until it is obvious that the QB is not an NFL starting QB then they draft and start another one. The Browns would love to be able to draft an average QB or even a below average one, but it is not that easy. To the rest of the world the Browns approach is an embarrassment, but this is the formula that you think we should follow, just so we can cut an average QB in Jay Cutler?

So in your opinion, Would the Browns have been better off sticking with the average Anderson? After all, He just needed more time, right?
Besides, He was playing in a tough division- after all, 4 super bowl winners and one superbowl loser came out of that division during the time frame you are covering... should they have just accepted mediocre and hoped the steelers and ravens would stop having crushing defenses?

Yes. Teams struggle to get better at the QB position frequently.
But the Raiders look to be on the right track after the same history. And the Seahawks. And the Vikings. And the Bengals. And Dolphins.
Then you have the saints, Broncos, Cardinals and Chiefs that filled the void via free agency quite well.

You can play the what if game by pointing to the bottom feeder browns if you like.
But as for the reality of the situation, I challenge you to find another QB in the league that performed as mediocre as Cutler over a 6 year stretch and went in to year 7 as a starter.
Emery was a fucking bonehead to extend Jay like he did- it is an unprecedented move. Paying that much... or even extending for several years... a passer with Jays history was an unmatched move in the NFL. Ground breaking in a putrid fashion.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
So in your opinion, Would the Browns have been better off sticking with the average Anderson? After all, He just needed more time, right?
Besides, He was playing in a tough division- after all, 4 super bowl winners and one superbowl loser came out of that division during the time frame you are covering... should they have just accepted mediocre and hoped the steelers and ravens would stop having crushing defenses?

Yes. Teams struggle to get better at the QB position frequently.
But the Raiders look to be on the right track after the same history. And the Seahawks. And the Vikings. And the Bengals. And Dolphins.
Then you have the saints, Broncos, Cardinals and Chiefs that filled the void via free agency quite well.

You can play the what if game by pointing to the bottom feeder browns if you like.
But as for the reality of the situation, I challenge you to find another QB in the league that performed as mediocre as Cutler over a 6 year stretch and went in to year 7 as a starter.
Emery was a fucking bonehead to extend Jay like he did- it is an unprecedented move. Paying that much... or even extending for several years... a passer with Jays history was an unmatched move in the NFL. Ground breaking in a putrid fashion.

Emery made a bad decision and everyone knows it whether or not they want to admit it.

Here is the thing though - our CURRENT GM did not take a chance on a QB in the draft. He basically said he thought there was a huge drop after Mariota. So if you are not crazy about any QB that is left on the board, what do you do in that situation? Do you just straight gamble on one anyway since it is such an important position? Or do you try and add value in other areas where there is a higher probability of hitting on a player that you have a huge need for?

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:

So are you suggesting the Browns should just give up, never draft another QB, and settle for being a cursed franchise that starts bum QBs?

Listen, the problem with the Browns isn't the fact that they keep trying to solve their QB problem it's that they:

1) Consistently make poor evaluations and decision making at the QB position. They drafted Manziel because a fucking hobo told the owner he should for fucks sake. This was after spending $100,000 on an advanced analytic study which advised them that the best choice was Bridgewater. What kind of organization lets homeless bums dictate their decision making?!? Each and every player you listed were/are weak NFL prospects despite whatever college success they may have had and should have never been drafted in the first place. But since the Browns are always in desperation mode they make dumb reaches on marginal talent.

2) Consistently fail to put any talent around the QB dooming him to failure before he even has a chance. And when they do actually manage to unearth some skill talent they immediately flame out/wash out. Braylon Edwards, Kellen Winslow, and most recently Josh Gordon.

The Bears are simply not the same type of situation. They have a much better staff and decision makers in place now and actually have talent around the QB position to help enable success. They shouldn't need to keep going back to the well if Pace makes a good evaluation in next years draft and commits to addressing the position with an early pick (even moving up to get their guy if need be).

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish

Wow, that 22nd overall is their enemy.

Upgrading from average to elite is a nice goal, but it's not a plan.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:

That's a sad sack of shit list of QBs the Browns have drafted, but I can state without question the only QB out of pile of shit list that I would have even considered drafting is Tim Couch as I figured he was an Andrew Luck type future franchise QB born to play the position. Couch I figured was a can't miss, the rest of that list is hot garbage on another level.

Cutler has been around as long as he has simply because he's better than any QB the. Bears have ever had and not because he's been good enough to be retained during that period of time to help the Bears consistently win.

Cutler is good enough to get you beat, he's like Steve DeBerg but the Bears have been stupid enough to keep him around year after year.