[Stein] Aaron Brooks sign 1 year deal with Bulls

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
LOL @ some of this bitching. The guy averaged over 11ppg off the bench, and had some BIG games for us. In the up-tempo, open court style of Hoiberg's offense, I expect Brooks to do just as well as last year, if not a little better. He was one of the best 3pt shooters on the team (ZOMG WE NEED MORE SHOOTERS!! is all I heard last year) and he's on a vet min contract. I don't see any reason for complaints at all.

Once again fellas, a couple secured rebounds, a couple made shots here and there, and we go up 3-1 on the Cavs last year, likely beating them, and heading to the ECF or even Finals. This is a top 6 team in all of the NBA right now. Sure there are question marks. There's question marks with every team, even the mighty Spurs. I'm giving the team at least a few months into the season with the new coaching staff before I starting making claims of the FO's ineptitude this off season.

BearDen

High Ranking Member
Liked Posts:
I like how people are talking about Brooks' defense and then mention Nate Robinson and DJ Augustine. What exactly did these guys do better than Brooks? Augustine was straight up trash in the playoffs that year.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I like how people are talking about Brooks' defense and then mention Nate Robinson and DJ Augustine. What exactly did these guys do better than Brooks? Augustine was straight up trash in the playoffs that year.
DJ had a pretty good Game 2. Game 1 he got to the line a lot but shot poorly, Wizards then put a bigger guard on him the rest of the series and he did much of nothing.

Nate had a big playoff in 2013, while Augustin and Brooks were more a like in the fact they kind of disappeared.

Either way, this move doesn't make or break the team, to me it just keeps us the same and gives us continuity as far as players go. The only major change we'll see is coaching philosophy and then we'll see if Hoiberg really gets this team to change or not while not sacrificing such things as playing great defense.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:

frankly i wanted to stay far away from any PG under 6'3

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'd argue both of those guys had better playoffs than Brooks. DJ is a much better passer...more of the traditional PG. Of course, when being guarded by Trevor Ariza, he was useless. That said, none of them would've had those huge roles that they had with Rose healthy, as was the case with Brooks. How well would they have done in less minutes? Who knows?

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
frankly i wanted to stay far away from any PG under 6'3
I truly believe the Bulls were going to take one of those 6'4+ PG's if they fell, but they didnt, so we ended up with Portis. There were really no FA's out there of that stature who would have signed MMLE money.

BearDen

High Ranking Member
Liked Posts:
I'd argue both of those guys had better playoffs than Brooks. DJ is a much better passer...more of the traditional PG. Of course, when being guarded by Trevor Ariza, he was useless. That said, none of them would've had those huge roles that they had with Rose healthy, as was the case with Brooks. How well would they have done in less minutes? Who knows?

I wasn't trying to downplay what they did for the team (aside from my comment about DJ in the playoffs), I'd say all 3 overachieved in the absence of Rose.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
I truly believe the Bulls were going to take one of those 6'4+ PG's if they fell, but they didnt, so we ended up with Portis. There were really no FA's out there of that stature who would have signed MMLE money.

yeah fuck the Knicks though for taking Grant

actually fuck the hawks for doing the trade for bumass Tim Hardaway Jr

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Man that draft board right before 22 was basically like "well, there goes every single player on the Bulls' radar..."

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Man that draft board right before 22 was basically like "well, there goes every single player on the Bulls' radar..."
Yep. So I don't blame the Bobby Portis pick because I certainly didn't want another undersized guard in Jones.

cjswan232482

Liked Posts:
Portis could very well be a better pick than Jerian Grant. The Bulls lost because of the frontcourt. When Gasol hurt his hamstring, the Bulls were doomed. Especially since Gibson needed ankle surgery. As for Noah, man I was ready to start Nazr Mohammad by the 4th game. If Gibson wasn't hurt, he would have likely been traded by now. Still could happen.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Actually...what you do at #22 when Portis and Tyus Jones are both available should be more like Minnesota. We should have drafted Portis and been on the phone negotiating with all our future seconds, next years first even, to trade back up and walk away with a cheap value haul.

I'd love to have Jones grooming and running the second team, but I see why you don't pass on Portis at 22 with that length and movement skills, plus an all around basketball game, and a late bloomer?! I'm in.

I just think Jones at #24 or whatever he went was a steal and the Wolves were smart to trade in and grab him.

I wouldn't have minded trading next years Bulls first away...because with the eastern conference we are going to finish with 50+ wins and pick 23 or lower next year. I'd wager a value like Jones won't be available at that spot.

I also don't mind trading it on the off chance Sacramento can pass a couple teams like Portland, and one other team that could implode with a key injury.

I think a Portis/Jones haul this year, along with Sacramento first, trading of Noah before season or before deadline for future assets because we don't need anything.

I'd like the Bulls to experiment with big power ball, and spread ball.

Offense-

Brooks-Butler-McDermot-Mirotic-Pau

defense- Hinrich-Butler-Snell-Noah-Portis

balance- Rose-Snell-Dunleavy-Gibson-Pau

stevethacreator

Liked Posts:
Honestly we need offense to be able to come off the bench, I seriously don't know what the problem is with this signing....

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Honestly we need offense to be able to come off the bench, I seriously don't know what the problem is with this signing....
There is no problem...everyone just wants to complain that we have the same exact team.

stevethacreator

Liked Posts:
Who exactly could we have gotten with teams offering bloated contracts left and right? :confused: If that were the case people would've been upset about Jimmy getting the contract that he did and not using that cash to look for something else, which would've been crazy because Jimmy hasn't even HIT his ceiling yet and can continue to be better through next season. Get what you can, build from there. I'm more concerned about building a good bench than what we have now, which isn't BAD, it isn't bad at all. The playoffs just showed to me is that Rose and Jimmy haven't played a lot of ball with each other in awhile and it takes a bit of time to work that chemistry back. Honestly, Aaron coming off the bench is great, I need offense when my two scoring guards can't play 30+ minutes.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Who exactly could we have gotten with teams offering bloated contracts left and right? :confused: If that were the case people would've been upset about Jimmy getting the contract that he did and not using that cash to look for something else, which would've been crazy because Jimmy hasn't even HIT his ceiling yet and can continue to be better through next season. Get what you can, build from there. I'm more concerned about building a good bench than what we have now, which isn't BAD, it isn't bad at all. The playoffs just showed to me is that Rose and Jimmy haven't played a lot of ball with each other in awhile and it takes a bit of time to work that chemistry back. Honestly, Aaron coming off the bench is great, I need offense when my two scoring guards can't play 30+ minutes.
We'll have to see what Hoiberg does. Offensively, Brooks is fine. It's defensively where he struggles (though there were a few games I thought his on ball defense was pretty good) and in Hoiberg's system, who knows how much more that'll be shown. That said, it's a bench PG....what do you expect? Not everyone can be a 3&D guy.

Welcome to the Bulls forum btw. Hope to see you around here lots. :)

Dumpster Fire

Liked Posts:
Brooks disappeared in the playoffs, but he was big for us at times during the season.

Yes, the team has basically the same roster, but I think Snell, McDermott, and Mirotic are poised to make huge strides in their game. The playoffs could have ended differently for us if those three (and Brooks) had been playing at a higher level.