Patrick Sharp Traded

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Trading the overrated over paid Toews would have cleared much more cap space and brought back a much better return.

It's clear that once his current deal is up he's going back to Winnipeg anyways. Not sure what Stan is doing. May as well trade him for something now before he leaves for free.

I bet they could get Ladd, Bufflin and a 3rd for him.

Samurai

Ridiculum Anserini
Liked Posts:
Trading the overrated over paid Toews would have cleared much more cap space and brought back a much better return.

If we throw in a 2nd & 4th, (and Jay Blumpkin), maybe we can FINALLY get Kyle Turris (and an Asian amateur scout) in Chicago where his destiny has ALWAYS been.

Reactions: Ton

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
^^^ Exactly ... you have to apply the John Scott test to any 'purges' - if you are not forced to sign John Scott (and considering he just signed with Ariz, Chicago can't), then you are not in 2010 mode - or anywhere really that close to it.

And I have no idea why they can't resign Oduya ( -clear some more space... so what?!). Unless he magically signs tomorrow (well today I guess in North America)... then, there seems to be a bit more to it all.

But, yeah HF boards were a riot .... you'd have thought the team went like 50 years without winning or something.
I would think that Kruger's a higher priority than Oduya.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
I'm not even close to knowledgeable on the cap. What's the bottom line? Did you NEED to trade Sharp and save that 2.5 mil, or had they just made up their minds to part ways with him?

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
I'm not even close to knowledgeable on the cap. What's the bottom line? Did you NEED to trade Sharp and save that 2.5 mil, or had they just made up their minds to part ways with him?

Trading Sharp with Johns allowed us to get Daley and Garbutt. Right now, our forwards are set (outside of Kruger) and technically we have 6 d if you count Rundblad. I'm assuming Bickell is on his way out so we can sign Kruger and have some more room to bring up a guy like Pokka on defense.

Sent from my Texas Instrument Calculator

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
http://wgntv.com/2015/07/21/tough-to-watch-patrick-sharp-puts-on-dallas-stars-jersey/

Tough to watch: Patrick Sharp puts on Dallas Stars jersey

Posted 7:58 AM, July 21, 2015, by Pat Tomasulo

WGN Morning News anchor Pat Tomasulo is not a big fan of kelly green hockey sweaters and now poor Patrick Sharp has to wear that putrid color all the time.
On Monday, Sharp got his new Dallas Stars jersey, met the media and looked absolutely thrilled to be there.
It’s gotta be killing him to be there, but he’s a pro and he’s putting on the best face he can.
At least he gets to keep his number No. 10

[video]http://wgntv.com/2015/07/21/tough-to-watch-patrick-sharp-puts-on-dallas-stars-jersey/#ooid=Y0bG1kdjpX702bmcc5LI-CxWVe8GbwMC[/video]

italianbeef

Liked Posts:
It's funny that some Chicago fans still bemoan management after three Stanley cups and teams who haven't won a thing are holding pressers and photo ops when they sign our castoffs on the downside of their careers.

I mean, Dallas fans are actually celebrating getting Sharp and Oduya. Imagine being a fan of that franchise.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
It's funny that some Chicago fans still bemoan management after three Stanley cups and teams who haven't won a thing are holding pressers and photo ops when they sign our castoffs on the downside of their careers.

I mean, Dallas fans are actually celebrating getting Sharp and Oduya. Imagine being a fan of that franchise.

Sharp and Oduya are going to make their team better...so why wouldn't they celebrate and be happy about that?

Wasn't that long ago that the Blackhawks were holding the same pressers and photo ops...hell they still do it at times. It makes a lot of sense for a team to do...marketing...business...etc...

italianbeef

Liked Posts:
Sharp and Oduya are going to make their team better...so why wouldn't they celebrate and be happy about that?

Wasn't that long ago that the Blackhawks were holding the same pressers and photo ops...hell they still do it at times. It makes a lot of sense for a team to do...marketing...business...etc...

They're paying a ton of money for two players whose best years are behind them. Oduya will be their best defenseman.

They're kind of screwed.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
They're paying a ton of money for two players whose best years are behind them. Oduya will be their best defenseman.

They're kind of screwed.

Doesn't matter if their best years are behind them because they are still quality NHL players. Both of those players (cap hit aside and obviously the Stars can handle it) would help improve every single team out there. So, once again, it is obvious why Stars fans would be happy about their latest additions.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Doesn't matter if their best years are behind them because they are still quality NHL players. Both of those players (cap hit aside and obviously the Stars can handle it) would help improve every single team out there. So, once again, it is obvious why Stars fans would be happy about their latest additions.

Just let us revel in other teams soaking up our cast-offs who they have no choice but to overpay for.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:

They're kind of screwed.

Screwed? They've got two of the best forwards in Benn and Seguin, two still productive vets in Spezza and Hemsky. A very talented Russian who is on the verge of breaking out, a pretty stable defensive core already and then you add Sharp and Oduya. Sharp is still a 40-50 point player and Oduya is still a top 4 dman. They got two guys who are going to be in their top 9 and top 4 are proven winners and are still good players. Both will only be around for 2 years and they still have 2.3 million in cap space and who knows if they going to try and unload lehtonen and keep Niemi who are both solid goaltenders.

But yeah, their somehow screwed...

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:
Screwed? They've got two of the best forwards in Benn and Seguin, two still productive vets in Spezza and Hemsky. A very talented Russian who is on the verge of breaking out, a pretty stable defensive core already and then you add Sharp and Oduya. Sharp is still a 40-50 point player and Oduya is still a top 4 dman. They got two guys who are going to be in their top 9 and top 4 are proven winners and are still good players. Both will only be around for 2 years and they still have 2.3 million in cap space and who knows if they going to try and unload lehtonen and keep Niemi who are both solid goaltenders.

Comparing who Dallas lost compared to who they gained, I see them with a good shot at nabbing one of the WC slots in the West.

Remember after the lockout of '04-05? Hawks fans were happy with signings like Lang because Chicago was spinning their wheels every year.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
Comparing who Dallas lost compared to who they gained, I see them with a good shot at nabbing one of the WC slots in the West.

Outside of a stud defensemen, you could make an argument they are probably top 5 in the league.

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:
Outside of a stud defensemen, you could make an argument they are probably top 5 in the league.

They still need plenty of help on the blue line. Klingberg is good, and is getting better, but I still see holes on D.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
They still need plenty of help on the blue line. Klingberg is good, and is getting better, but I still see holes on D.

If they had a Keith or Doughty that alone would kick them into the next tier. Demers, Goligoski, Oduya, Klingberg and Oleksiak (who is still developing) could make a decent #2-6. I just still see them as a team without a #1 and possibly #2.

italianbeef

Liked Posts:

It does matter, because their defense is going to be worse than last year's. There's nobody out there even if they did have the cap space. If they had kept Daley and signed only defensive players, they'd be in much better shape.

Just let us revel in other teams soaking up our cast-offs who they have no choice but to overpay for.

Yeah, this is what I was saying.

Stable defensive core? It was one of the worst last year and arguably got worse. They'll be fun to watch, though - 7-5 games usually are.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:

Remember after the lockout of '04-05? Hawks fans were happy with signings like Lang because Chicago was spinning their wheels every year.

Hay, that Robert Lang signing has gotten the Blackhawks exactly a return of Marko Dano, Artem Anisimov, Tropp and Jeremy Morin.