OT: Power Rankings

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
What I meant was: for the sake of argument, if you were going to use the injury argument to make a case against Miami (Wade), you could do the same for Chicago (Rose, Noah, Gibson). "Injuries" are not a factor because it's a wash between the two teams.

As for the whole Whiteside/Russell/Cousy thing, maybe Cousy is senile or whatever. It's a strange comparison. But chances are that if you are being compared to a great player, you are probably at least pretty good.

Harold Minor was compared to Jordan.

Do we really need to start listing shitty players that were compared to great players that washed out?

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Not exactly power rankings, but a good indicator on team's positioning in the grand scheme of things. But I think this is from before Jordan flip flopped back to the Clippers.

070715_TitleOdds.jpg

The odds getting larger from 10-1 to 16-1 is pretty reflective of the oddsmakers opinion of the non-moves that Garfield has done.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The odds getting larger from 10-1 to 16-1 is pretty reflective of the oddsmakers opinion of the non-moves that Garfield has done.
Please GM RC Hawk Buford, what moves would give us the best odds?

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
1. SA
2. GS
3. Cle
4. Hou
5. OKC
6. LAC
7. Mem
8. Mia
9. Chi
10. Atl
11. NO
12. Was
13. Dal
14. Mil
15. Tor
16. Ind
17. LAL
18. Uta
19. Pho
20. Min
21. Bos
22. Sac
23. Det
24. Cha
25. NY
26. Bro
27. Por
28. Den
29. Orl
30. Phi

Last edited:

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
1. SA
2. GS
3. Cle
4. Hou
5. OKC
6. LAC
7. Mem
8. Mia
9. Chi
10. Atl
11. NO
12. Was
13. Dal
14. Mil
15. Tor
16. Ind
17. LAL
18. Uta
19. Pho
20. Min
21. Bos
22. Sac
23. Det
24. Cha
25. NY
26. Bro
27. Por
28. Den
29. Orl
30. Phi

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

Do we really need to start listing shitty players that were compared to great players that washed out?

Are you saying Whiteside is a wash out? He averaged a double double and 2.6 blocks last year. Those kind of numbers got DeAndre Jordan a max contract. WTF are you talking about? He is 26 and worked his way into this. Pat Riley loves the guy.

I don't think you watched him play more than two games last year.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wade managed to play 60+ games last year. He's only had a few marquee games/flashes (no pun intended) of his old self. But he's still a top 5 shooting guard in the NBA.

Then you have Dragic who is better than about half of all NBA starting point guards.

Bosh is easily top 10 at his position (whether it is a 4 or a 5).

Whiteside is maybe a top 20-25 center in the NBA off the top of my head - a worthy starter.

Deng is around a top 20-25 SF himself. Gerald Green is in that same category. And he comes off the bench.

Then you fill out your bench with Andersen. And Stoudemire, who has aged and has had injury problems, but might do well in a limited role. Bosh and Stoudemire on the floor together is going to be a lightning rod for dominant offense. He lacks the explosiveness he used to have but still a nice pick and roll and pick and pop option. When you have two bigs who can penetrate the lane and extend the floor... that is going to really let their perimeter players get easier looks.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Miner's dunking ability was compared to Jordan, but he wasn't exactly expected to be the "next" Jordan. There are many great dunkers out there right now who are better than Jordan in that one aspect who will never be good enough players to ever make the NBA. So I am sure you can think of better examples than that. Although I am not sure how it applies to this situation because Whiteside isn't shitty. Comparing him to the Bill Russell may be absurd in most respects, but this isn't that kind of situation.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wade managed to play 60+ games last year. He's only had a few marquee games/flashes (no pun intended) of his old self. But he's still a top 5 shooting guard in the NBA.

Then you have Dragic who is better than about half of all NBA starting point guards.

Bosh is easily top 10 at his position (whether it is a 4 or a 5).

Whiteside is maybe a top 20-25 center in the NBA off the top of my head - a worthy starter.

Deng is around a top 20-25 SF himself. Gerald Green is in that same category. And he comes off the bench.

Then you fill out your bench with Andersen. And Stoudemire, who has aged and has had injury problems, but might do well in a limited role. Bosh and Stoudemire on the floor together is going to be a lightning rod for dominant offense. He lacks the explosiveness he used to have but still a nice pick and roll and pick and pop option. When you have two bigs who can penetrate the lane and extend the floor... that is going to really let their perimeter players get easier looks.

Let's compare that to Chicago for a moment:

Rose has the capability of becoming a top 5-10 player and a top 5 point guard again (possibly). But we can only count that chicken after it hatches.

Butler is a top 5 shooting guard himself, and is certainly on the rise in the league while Wade is on the decline. But the backcourt disparity between MIA and CHI is not as one-sided as many here would like to believe.

Dunleavy nor Snell are as good as either of Miami's small forwards.

Chicago has a clusterfuck of power forwards with capability. But Miami's are still better.

Whiteside is probably a better center than Noah at this point.

Coaching is a question mark at this point.

Back-court edge: Chicago

Front-court edge: Miami

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
1. SA
2. GS
3. Cle
4. Hou
5. OKC
6. LAC
7. Mem
8. Mia
9. Chi
10. Atl
11. NO
12. Was
13. Dal
14. Mil
15. Tor
16. Ind
17. LAL
18. Uta
19. Pho
20. Min
21. Bos
22. Sac
23. Det
24. Cha
25. NY
26. Bro
27. Por
28. Den
29. Orl
30. Phi
Surely these needed to be updated with the announcement that Kyle Anderson was named Summer League MVP!

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Please GM RC Hawk Buford, what moves would give us the best odds?

1.Give Hinrich away for a decent jock strap.

2. Trade Noah for a good shooting guard. Wes Matthews for example. Portland might be interested. It might take Snell or McDermott or a number one pick.

4. Trade for a ball distributing pass first point guard to come off of the bench.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Surely these needed to be updated with the announcement that Kyle Anderson was named Summer League MVP!

-1. SA
2. GS
3. Cle
4. Hou
5. OKC
6. LAC
7. Mem
8. Mia
9. Chi
10. Atl
11. NO
12. Was
13. Dal
14. Mil
15. Tor
16. Ind
17. LAL
18. Uta
19. Pho
20. Min
21. Bos
22. Sac
23. Det
24. Cha
25. NY
26. Bro
27. Por
28. Den
29. Orl
30. Phi

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:

Kyle Anderson may be the slowest player (non big) ive ever seen

your average joe off the street that can run faster than him

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Okay, I missed the Portland trades of Matthews and Afallo. However, my point is still valid. Trades are hypothetical before they are done and all I did was base my suggestion on where these guys played last season. And the fact is that either Matthews or Affalo would be exactly what the Bulls absolutely need to be a competitor. Other than Rose and Butler(see SF suggestion), who can play above average guard on this team. Instead they have an assortment of too old, too small, and too slow guards on this team. The ridiculous thing is that this has gone on for now 4 straight years.

BearDen

High Ranking Member
Liked Posts:
Okay, I missed the Portland trades of Matthews and Afallo. However, my point is still valid. Trades are hypothetical before they are done and all I did was base my suggestion on where these guys played last season. And the fact is that either Matthews or Affalo would be exactly what the Bulls absolutely need to be a competitor. Other than Rose and Butler(see SF suggestion), who can play above average guard on this team. Instead they have an assortment of too old, too small, and too slow guards on this team. The ridiculous thing is that this has gone on for now 4 straight years.

Yes, Matthews coming off a VERY serious injury on a huge contract or old/bad Afflalo would be absolute game changers for the Bulls.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Comparing him(Whiteside) to the Bill Russell may be absurd in most respects, but this isn't that kind of situation.

Yes it is. Comparing HASSAN WHITESIDE to BILL RUSSELL is absurd in ANY situation.

Cousy is a fucking senile dope.

Stop.

The Heat have a chance to be better than the Bulls next year. It has zero to do with some comparison by a geriatric saying Whiteside is like Bill Russell. Whiteside has the potential to be a pretty good NBA center and have a nice career. Right now he's kind of a headcase one year "wonder". That's it. Why do we have to pull bullshit player comps to guys like Bill Russell into the conversation?

Stop.

DaRev

Liked Posts:
Does the Ty Lawson trade make a difference to these rankings?

Personally I love what the Clips have done adding prices for depth, which is what they obviously needed so I would put them ahead of the Thunder (just barely) because so much is resting on KDs return and I am not convinced that he is going to come out at MVP level right away. Plus Russ probably isn't going to want to take a drastic step down in the offense. But I'd keep Houston at 6 despite the deal