Salary Cap Thoughts

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Maybe a franchise tag on a player. Desingnate one UFA/RFA per season with the tag. Guaranteed one year contract at a pre-determined amount. Not sure how you wound come up with the amount. Maybe an average of the top 10 players with that level of experience at the position of the player? Could also work in some cap relief into that salary determination somehow.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
I don't see the NHL doing that as they've cramped down and made it much harder in this current league setup over the last few years. You can no longer easily save yourself from cap hits by burying guys in the AHL or Europe, can't insanely long term sign a guy, can't structure contracts to a you retire here point, etc. The rules are becoming harsher for making mistakes and risky signings so I don't think they will want to see it lessening.

Is the current cap removing incentive for teams to develop players?.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't see the NHL doing that as they've cramped down and made it much harder in this current league setup over the last few years. You can no longer easily save yourself from cap hits by burying guys in the AHL or Europe, can't insanely long term sign a guy, can't structure contracts to a you retire here point, etc. The rules are becoming harsher for making mistakes and risky signings so I don't think they will want to see it lessening.
Exactly. I think the league if anything would 1st try to find a way to get rid of the albatross, overpaid lummoxes that don't add much to the game except maybe an occasional well-deserved beatdown to ass-bandits like Cooke or Torres; than to implement a system that de-levels the playing field and allows rich and/or successful teams to accumulate a fuckton of good players into a core system and run roughshod over the league for the better part of a decade.

Our fans are blithering out it now because we are on top and anyone not named Toews, Kane, or Keith is at risk of being shipped out to be a franchise player on another squad and make the big cash--and the club is again facing potential mediocrity down the line. And, that's the very key to it. The league wins big the closer games are. When you have games going to triple overtime in the playoffs because both teams are so evenly-matched the league and fans win. The only way to do that is make sure that the talentm is spread across the league.
Is the current cap removing incentive for teams to develop players?.
I don't think so for a few reasons:

1: Decline in play. We've seen it in Sharp and a bit in Hossa, but even Keith, Toews, Kane, Seabrook, etc. are some day going to start declining. While there are general rules about when a player could decline, the question is always when specifically, and how much. A guy like Keith could very well be the next Chelios and bring something to the table into his mid-40's, or, he could also face a career-ending injury in the next couple of seasons. If you develop talent from within, you see how they work in your system. If you don't, it's a crapshoot as to whether or not they'll work regardless of their skillset.

2: As aforementioned, acquiring talent from outside of the organization is a crapshoot. The three major pieces we've acqured this offseason (Dano, A², and Daley), all have aspects of their games which can help the 'hawks based on their play on their original clubs, respectively. However, it may not translate to the 'hawks well. We won't know until they've actually taken the ice.

3: Players that are in the EL/RFA portions of their development tend to be cheaper developed inside, as opposed to outside of the organization. which leads to:

4: IMHO the key to winning the cup in a cap world is always going to rely on a few key players playing far above and beyond what they make. 2010 it was Toews, Kane, and Keith. 2013 it was guys like Frolik, Bickell, Kruger, etc. This past year Saad, Dejardins, Kruger, T² stepped up. it's difficult to be in the position to have assets playing above their cap value if you get them from outside of the club.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah....I am wrong in thinking Keith should be making 10 million?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Exactly. I think the league if anything would 1st try to find a way to get rid of the albatross, overpaid lummoxes that don't add much to the game except maybe an occasional well-deserved beatdown to ass-bandits like Cooke or Torres; than to implement a system that de-levels the playing field and allows rich and/or successful teams to accumulate a fuckton of good players into a core system and run roughshod over the league for the better part of a decade.

Our fans are blithering out it now because we are on top and anyone not named Toews, Kane, or Keith is at risk of being shipped out to be a franchise player on another squad and make the big cash--and the club is again facing potential mediocrity down the line. And, that's the very key to it. The league wins big the closer games are. When you have games going to triple overtime in the playoffs because both teams are so evenly-matched the league and fans win. The only way to do that is make sure that the talentm is spread across the league.

I don't think so for a few reasons:

1: Decline in play. We've seen it in Sharp and a bit in Hossa, but even Keith, Toews, Kane, Seabrook, etc. are some day going to start declining. While there are general rules about when a player could decline, the question is always when specifically, and how much. A guy like Keith could very well be the next Chelios and bring something to the table into his mid-40's, or, he could also face a career-ending injury in the next couple of seasons. If you develop talent from within, you see how they work in your system. If you don't, it's a crapshoot as to whether or not they'll work regardless of their skillset.

2: As aforementioned, acquiring talent from outside of the organization is a crapshoot. The three major pieces we've acqured this offseason (Dano, A², and Daley), all have aspects of their games which can help the 'hawks based on their play on their original clubs, respectively. However, it may not translate to the 'hawks well. We won't know until they've actually taken the ice.

3: Players that are in the EL/RFA portions of their development tend to be cheaper developed inside, as opposed to outside of the organization. which leads to:

4: IMHO the key to winning the cup in a cap world is always going to rely on a few key players playing far above and beyond what they make. 2010 it was Toews, Kane, and Keith. 2013 it was guys like Frolik, Bickell, Kruger, etc. This past year Saad, Dejardins, Kruger, T² stepped up. it's difficult to be in the position to have assets playing above their cap value if you get them from outside of the club.

And Panarin is a "major" piece. He may even surprise and out produce Saad. That would be nice. We have no shortage of third liners, and if Bickell stays he is a logical Kane pairing with A2.

Ton

Liked Posts:
I think it's hilarious how good you think Panarin is... he might not even make the team lol

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
This Panarin love fest is getting old. Let's see if he even makes it through training camp before we announce that he's a "major piece".

I mean, Fabian Brunnstrom was supposed to be some great NHL player that everyone missed on when he came to the Stars back in 08-09. Guy had a decent rookie year and then basically went to shit. He's been out of the league now 3 seasons and nobody even remembers him.

Sent from my Texas Instrument Calculator

Reactions: Ton

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:
This Panarin love fest is getting old. Let's see if he even makes it through training camp before we announce that he's a "major piece".

I mean, Fabian Brunnstrom was supposed to be some great NHL player that everyone missed on when he came to the Stars back in 08-09. Guy had a decent rookie year and then basically went to shit. He's been out of the league now 3 seasons and nobody even remembers him.

Sent from my Texas Instrument Calculator

Holy shit. Forgot about him.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
I think it's hilarious how good you think Panarin is... he might not even make the team lol

While no one knows how good he is going to be when it comes to the NHL, I think there is an extremely high likelihood that he makes the team out of camp. Knowing the salary cap position the Blackhawks are in (and likely will be in come the start of the year), how his contract is constructed, and what they need to replace...I'm thinking he is going to be on a long leash and have all the opportunities to succeed. There are factors outside of his play that are going to dictate if he is here or not to start.

Ton

Liked Posts:
While no one knows how good he is going to be when it comes to the NHL, I think there is an extremely high likelihood that he makes the team out of camp. Knowing the salary cap position the Blackhawks are in (and likely will be in come the start of the year), how his contract is constructed, and what they need to replace...I'm thinking he is going to be on a long leash and have all the opportunities to succeed. There are factors outside of his play that are going to dictate if he is here or not to start.

Yes, he could make the team. But anointing him to the top line LW role before even training camp starts is just... well, a bit premature, no?

Let him make the team first, again, there is a chance that he doesn't.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
Yes, he could make the team. But anointing him to the top line LW role before even training camp starts is just... well, a bit premature, no?

Let him make the team first, again, there is a chance that he doesn't.

It is going to take a lot for him to not make the team...and a lot for him to not get a chance (for however long) at the top 6. I'd just get used to the idea/thought of that and see how it plays out. I've seen people on here saying that there is a better chance that he won't make the team...but you simply have to look at all the factors going into this decision. There are more than simple hockey decisions here.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It is going to take a lot for him to not make the team...and a lot for him to not get a chance (for however long) at the top 6. I'd just get used to the idea/thought of that and see how it plays out. I've seen people on here saying that there is a better chance that he won't make the team...but you simply have to look at all the factors going into this decision. There are more than simple hockey decisions here.
Prearranged marriage with Q's daughter?:harden:

Hawks won't want to hurt his feelings because he came all the way from Russia.:marshmallow:

Last edited:

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

What factors ? Simple hockey decisions?....... Enquiry minds want to know, do tell please !