I present to thee: The Hob Goblin

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He is difficult to find on youtube, his Russian name is TNXOHOB with backwards letters and shit. Hence the "hob".

Just look at him poach goals due to the presence of Kovulchuk, riding his curtails around and making his name. (he was already a local hero before Kovulchuk showed up)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7DgFlELyaw

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:
this-fucking-guy-gif.881

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
I thought that title was for him:

[video=youtube;gJfI3FePqVI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJfI3FePqVI[/video]

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Anyone see #14 last night?

Damn...he botched a near goal where he made a great play and timing to intercept and carry puck across the goal. Just barely missed the back hand flick, needed another half second of patience. The Wings counter breaker and he sprinted down the ice and disrupted a 3 vs 2 fast break at the last second, showing good timing of play development again and great hustle. Had he thought about his missed goal for a fraction of a second he wouldn't have made it back in time.

2) He showed great spacing and puck handling. Looked like a pro playing with scrubs. He opened things up several times on offense, and pushed the puck himself with excellent handling and possession.

3) The bad: I thought his conditioning looked poor by American standards. He was quick to leave the ice most shifts. They scored on one of these early shifts in the second period. I don't think that was his fault but rather the defense and other guys shifting.

Also...his top speed was not ideal. He showed a strong burst suffecient to hold the puck with his skill level, but not to really pressure the D. He didn't show much physicality, though he is always in the right place and willing to body.

All in all I thought he was good enough to be on the bench to start the season.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I saw enough of Hobgoblin to have concerns about his top speed and stamina. I also would want to see more of him as a player and as a season progresses were I a GM. He showed some high hockey IQ, elite level spacing, and a good stick. I think he can be a savvy veteran who gives us quality veteran minutes through the long stretches of an NHL season and be in the mix for the 12th or 13th spot come playoffs.

Thats probably the ceiling. I'd want to see more against NHL competition and see him paired with real NHL line mates before I ruled out the positive effect his intangibles may have in a game. He creates for others and doesn't do anything stupid. final factor is if the translator is part of making Panarin happy, or AA is capable of that.

He is a former first round pick, and since we lost on some Hayes/Benn/Saad/Sharp/Buff salary cap and depth losses, I say we take a chance and keep looking at him.

Seems Stan should have no issue shipping the young kids back to Rockford for a week or a month while we look closely at what this guy might be capable of bringing to the Hawks if he can play himself into shape.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I guess I'm frustrated cuz half the forum probably blocks me, but NOBODY will talk Vicktor "el Hobgoblin"Tikhonov, destroyer of the flowing locks, with me?

On a hockey level. What have you guys seen? I'm not born and bred hockey, though born Blackhawks and mostly ignored for 15 years until 2008 resurgence. He seems heady to me with a good stick. Physical only when situation forces him to be, I might not say reluctant to scrap it up, but he picks his spots.

He is a sound professional mind on both ends. Spacing is excellent on offense, he will show up at the right spot and time on defense. I am calling him sluggish, because it looks to me like he has more speed than he has shown, but is poorly conditioned and comes off the ice quickly.

Tough to judge in just 10 minutes with such short shifts. But is he a guy who is happy playing his role as well as a good locker room guy and good for Panarin? He is on the edge of the roster seemingly and may be lost, but I hope not until I see more.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
He's a bottom 6 forward. He might chip in 5 goals on the season, but he'll play sound defensively and probably can chip in on the PK if need be.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
But he's a really good interpreter....