Chicago White Sox: Jeff Samardzija on the move?

Ron Burgundy

jeff-samardzija-white-sox-tri.jpg

Since their paltry first half didn't fully convince the Chicago White Sox they were destined to be sellers at the deadline, the team's equally paltry performance against the Kansas City Royals and St. Louis Cardinals sealed the deal.What complicates the White Sox' buy/sell dilemma is that they aren't willing to walk away from the group of assembled players, as the majority figure to contribute across the next several years. In short, they aren't about to blow the whole thing up after a bad first half of season one.But they're apparently willing to trade Jeff Samardzija. Will the White Sox trade Jeff Samardzija?[/caption]The problem with Samardzija is that he's been billed as ace-caliber for the last couple of seasons. This strange phenomena started with the Chicago Cubs, who, before he actually*showed*it, swore he was an ace-in-the-making. And for some odd reason, the league believed it, and continues to believe it.Don't get me wrong, he's a*good*pitcher. But an ace? Doubtful.His career numbers as a starter are underwhelming by ace-standards. In 764 innings as a starter, he has a 3.90 ERA (3.64 FIP). Again, not terrible numbers (many of his peripherals are perfectly respectable), but this is not exactly a small sample size anymore, and that sample size does not indicate "ace." At what point does Samardzija reach the "he is what he is"*label?The point to be made here is that this presumed-ace label makes Samardzija a difficult piece to stick value on. He still carries that ace stigma, and has an especially fierce competitive reputation --"The Shark," indeed-- but the numbers ultimately leave you feeling like you got the short end of the stick, which is possibly part of the reason the White Sox are willing to trade him. His 4.08 is underwhelming, he's surrendering a .265 batting average, and his ground ball percentage is*ten*points lower than last year.All that being said, there are plenty of teams who would welcome Samardzija's services. The teams most likely to enjoy a thriving Samardzija would be ones that would keep him off of that ace-level expectations. Namely, the San Francisco Giants and the Los Angeles Dodgers.As reported by Phil Rodgers of MLB.com, teams like the Toronto Blue Jays, New York Yankees, and Houston Astros would be logical fits as well, but Samardzija would be asked to fill a more critical role within those respective rotations.The White Sox don't exactly care how each team would use Samardzija; they only care about who is offering the best deal.If recent history has shown us anything, it's that there's always someone willing to overpay for Jeff Samardzija.

More...

Last edited by a moderator:

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thanks Ron, keep up the good work !
Supposedly Houston made an offer but the Sox took too long to give a yes or no so they went and got Scott Kazmir instead.
images

Svic

Liked Posts:
Thanks Ron, keep up the good work !
Supposedly Houston made an offer but the Sox took too long to give a yes or no so they went and got Scott Kazmir instead.
images

The two guys that athletics got dont seem that bad. That catcher seemed like a good prospect hitting .280. Really wanted a pick out of that crop. I hope its not some Kenny BS to hold off until the last minute to see if the sox actually win.

Blue jays were interested. Do they even have any good prospects? I heard about some catcher they have and with martin there they might trade him.
What scares me is the report that the white sox what a high level pitcher and than an average bat.... I dont want a pitcher. I want this systems offensive skills to be refilled. Not the damn pitchers.

SweetHomeChicago

I have a Senior Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wonder is this little win streak has stalled them again.

Do you guys think that the next series will decide if they trade Shark or are they already decided?

Svic

Liked Posts:
Well the report now is that they will wait until 31st to see what they can get. With blue jays now trading for Tulo I dont know how much they are willing to give up now. Kenny Williams BS train keeps on moving. This guy sets white sox back every year for the last 5 years.

Do they have a chance? Yes. But I doubt this offense keeps up. Flowers will not keep hitting like that. His career says so. Sanchez we don't know. And no way Ramirez keeps it up. Especially when you can't beat the freaking twins and the royals. Especially with royals having cueto now. There are not bats in the minors... They can't draft bats

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I wish we did a better job with position players too. Been a long time since we had one...Magglio Ordonez, Carlos Lee and Frank Thomas?

Anyway

The team is beating the little sisters of the poor. They can sweep the Red Sox and that opinion does not change.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wish we did a better job with position players too. Been a long time since we had one...Magglio Ordonez, Carlos Lee and Frank Thomas?

Anyway

The team is beating the little sisters of the poor. They can sweep the Red Sox and that opinion does not change

Nailed it on the head!!
Still have a bunch of teams to pass over for the WC. You have a chance to pick up some young bats (pitching should be secondary IMHO) if they play it right. Only time will tell if they get it right.

Svic

Liked Posts:
Why is Jeff still in the 9th? He should have been done after 9. I dislike those decisions by Ventura.

Svic

Liked Posts:
9-3 now with two runners on no outs. An inning way to long. Dumb

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I agree, Robin should have pulled him after the first two baserunners. Sox still won. Too bad we aren't beating anyone. Now, if we take 1/2 from the remaining games from BOS and then 2/3 from NYY, that's a .500 club. It does not make me think of playoffs, but I'm glad the team did not quit.

Svic

Liked Posts:
I agree, Robin should have pulled him after the first two baserunners. Sox still won. Too bad we aren't beating anyone. Now, if we take 1/2 from the remaining games from BOS and then 2/3 from NYY, that's a .500 club. It does not make me think of playoffs, but I'm glad the team did not quit.

The thing I like about this hitting streak is that we are not getting Boston cheap hits. Other than Abreu's Hr and Eaton's HR into the RF all this hitting has been systematic. Single and double down the gaps and down the lines. Good contact base hitting

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
The Sox won't trade for Samardzija for three reasons:

1. They aren't ready to concede the season with the win streak.

2. The asking price is much too high for a #2 starter (he's not an ace).

3. They would lose their compensatory pick if he walks during the offseason.

Don't expect any major trades either. We are stuck with this roster, for better or worse.

Svic

Liked Posts:
I think today sox slump. I do t see how they cab hold this up. I hope we are ser up for disappointment and they crash and burn once they hit 500

Svic

Liked Posts:
Who was right. And with stupid Kenny Williams. They wont add and they wont sell. They will end the season with 75-80 wins and miss the plays. Shark will leave and we will get a comp pick and use it on a pitcher.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
The Sox won't trade for Samardzija for three reasons:

1. They aren't ready to concede the season with the win streak.

2. The asking price is much too high for a #2 starter (he's not an ace).

3. They would lose their compensatory pick if he walks during the offseason.

Don't expect any major trades either. We are stuck with this roster, for better or worse.

Pretty much my thoughts on this as well.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
Who was right. And with stupid Kenny Williams. They wont add and they wont sell. They will end the season with 75-80 wins and miss the plays. Shark will leave and we will get a comp pick and use it on a pitcher.

Yup