Wine

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Anyone here into wine?

I love wine. I am balls deep in wine culture and love it. That said, I'm not above any of it. Post your favorite wines or wine memories!

The first wine I fell in love with was Stonestreet Legacy, 2001. Opened my eyes and pallet to a whole new world. Nowadays, I typically go for reds first, but I'm not opposed to whites as long as it's something new for me-be it a region or varietal. No reason to drink the same white wine twice.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
why isn't this posted in the Bears forum?

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Not a big wine guy, but Chateauneuf-du-Pape is fucking amazing.

Reactions: DC

DC

Donator
Liked Posts:
Not a big wine guy, but Chateauneuf-du-Pape is fucking amazing.

Yes, it is. Old Vines, up to 13 varietals in a single bottle. I love L'Oratoire. CHECK OUT any other wines from Southern France.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I have never been a Wine drinker, I don't hate it.... but given my choice of alcohols I am going to pick beer or whiskey every time.

Though Wine is something most women will drink versus beer or whiskey which many of them hate....

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Anyone here into wine?

I love wine. I am balls deep in wine culture and love it. That said, I'm not above any of it. Post your favorite wines or wine memories!

The first wine I fell in love with was Stonestreet Legacy, 2001. Opened my eyes and pallet to a whole new world. Nowadays, I typically go for reds first, but I'm not opposed to whites as long as it's something new for me-be it a region or varietal. No reason to drink the same white wine twice.

Mostly agree, with a few exceptions, one being Saint Panteleimon, which is a rare medium-sweet white for me to love, but it's brilliant. Had it in Cyprus in the 90s. Don't generally like sweeter whites. Couple of the South African ones I've tried have been ok.

Usually I'll go for a robust cab or a merlot, especially if I'm having a steak.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I have never been a Wine drinker, I don't hate it.... but given my choice of alcohols I am going to pick beer or whiskey every time.

Though Wine is something most women will drink versus beer or whiskey which many of them hate....
I know a woman who will only drink mixed drinks.

DC

Donator
Liked Posts:
It's just my bias, mick. There are a lot of good whites (especially alsace) but there are sooooo many reds. Reintroducing myself to the Nebbilo grape this week.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I really have only liked red wines... never been much of a fan of whites that I've dried. I can't really tell you what I've tried.. But given my girlfriend loves wine, I've certainly had my fair share.

I'm definitely much more into beer and bourbon though.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I really have only liked red wines... never been much of a fan of whites that I've dried. I can't really tell you what I've tried.. But given my girlfriend loves wine, I've certainly had my fair share.

I'm definitely much more into beer and bourbon though.

not to stereotype, but a lot of guys can get turned off whites because they try their girlfriends', which are often sweeter. You might like a Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio better than a Riesling or Moscato, for example.

(I prefer reds myself, but there are some decent whites)

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
not to stereotype, but a lot of guys can get turned off whites because they try their girlfriends', which are often sweeter. You might like a Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio better than a Riesling or Moscato, for example.

(I prefer reds myself, but there are some decent whites)
I actually really hate dry whites, which are what the white ones I've had always taste like that weren't really sweet (like what my girlfriend gets with whites)... My dad gets a lot of the dry whites, and man are they awful. I have yet to find a decent white. Though maybe i'll try the names you suggested again.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Leave Bears forum in the Bears forum... oh wait.. Leave it in the Donators forum.

I moved this thread for you to the Food and Drink forum. Took me a while. You are welcome.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
My only experience with wine playing slap the bag and tornado'ing it at weddings.

1COBearsfan

Equinsu ocha
Donator
Liked Posts:
I fell in love with wine in college.

I chugged a few bottles of Boones Farm wine at the beginning of a zombie-drunk night and have been hooked ever since

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
I actually really hate dry whites, which are what the white ones I've had always taste like that weren't really sweet (like what my girlfriend gets with whites)... My dad gets a lot of the dry whites, and man are they awful. I have yet to find a decent white. Though maybe i'll try the names you suggested again.

I've been buying/selling/collecting/trading both wine bottles and futures for over 20 years, I know a fair amount about da vino.

First, all cheap wine is generally nasty and I would not draw too many conclusions for any type of wine if it's on the low-end of price. Kind of like going to Arby's and then concluding you don't like roast beef.

Most people have evolving taste over years with wine, with the majority of beginners preferring the sweeter and big-fruit bombs. I started that way as well, but now in terms of white wine only drink the dry, old-world varietals. Try a crisp Sancerre, not the cheap stuff - you can get a good quality Sancerre for $25/bottle. The fruit/sweet white wines don't pair well with food, and the extra sugars are the demon-spawn of hangovers.

My favorites after a long tasting evolution:
1. Burgundy/Pinot Noir
2. Bordeaux
3. Brunello
4. Super Tuscans
5. Syrah (Rhone varietals)

I only drink the traditional big-reds (e.g., Cabs) with meat and/or pasta, I find them too heavy for straight sipping.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
This is my go to wine for special occasions. I prefer the Mediterranean grape, and this is from a little town in Italy called Modesto.

CarloRossi-RedWine-1.gif