Wine

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
No offense to RacerX, but this is exactly what I'm talking about as far as pretentiousness... A '96 such and such, blah blah. I think people try to make wine fancier than what it actually is... Fermented grape juice.

Again, not meaning to disrespect the post... I'm sure that is a great wine and you are only mentioning it here for others to possibly check out.

IDK, maybe I'm just being an asshole.

Personally I don't find the wine culture to be nearly as pretentious as rumored to be. I have lots of amazing bottles, but I don't mention them - other than this one time in time as an illustration - because I don't think it's impressive and I know no one gives any shits. I have them because I enjoy drinking them, usually with Mrs. Racerx, and with good food.

No offense taken by your post, I only referenced that Barolo because I had just greatly enjoyed consuming it, and I had purchased it as a future about 16 years ago and had stored the bottle all these years waiting for it to reach it's aging-peak.

Agree with you on Aussie wines and whites in general. Peace.

Unannounced Fart

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Southern California Trojans
Did you guys hear about the $300,000 wine theft from Thomas Keller's restaurant in Napa (I'm sure Racer X has, it's in his neck of the woods)? And the police actually recovered the wine in North Carolina... so wtf, do they have tracking devices inside the bottles??? Some of the bottles were valued at more than $15k each!

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
I hope he drank at least one. Gonna spend a lonnnng time in jail.

DC

Donator
Liked Posts:
Had a 2006 Clarendon Hills Syrah last night that our realtor gave us as a gift with our new house a couple years back. Super creamy, chocolaty, with perfect tannis. Went great with my steak!

DC

Donator
Liked Posts:
Got my n'finity red. Awesome machine. Charcoal filter for passive humidification. My case of Oakville Cab look glorious in it!

DC

Donator
Liked Posts:
DSCN0644.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DC

Donator
Liked Posts:
DSCN0645.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

DC

Donator
Liked Posts:
And yes, I'm wearing socks with flip flops because I ran down to the basement. And yes, my fly is open because I'm a fucking boss.

DSCN0646.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Did you guys hear about the $300,000 wine theft from Thomas Keller's restaurant in Napa (I'm sure Racer X has, it's in his neck of the woods)? And the police actually recovered the wine in North Carolina... so wtf, do they have tracking devices inside the bottles??? Some of the bottles were valued at more than $15k each!

The bottles have identifiable corks when viewed under UV light. Some of the highest priced, pedigreed wines from some of the greatest vineyards in the world (Domaine Romanee Conti). You just can't walk into a store or call an auction house with those wines. The thieves must have known enough to know their value but not enough to know they would be traceable and vary hard to sell. Great restaurant, too.

Last edited:

RacerX

Liked Posts:
The bottles have identifiable corks when viewed under UV light. Some of the highest priced, pedigreed wines from some of the greatest vineyards in the world (Domaine Romanee Conti). You just can't walk into a store or call an auction house with those wines. The thieves must have known enough to know their value but not enough to know they would be traceable and vary hard to sell. Great restaurant, too.

You've dined at French Laundry? Well done, pretty awesome experience.

Just got ressies for the two most impossible local restaurants to book: State Bird Provisions, and Al's Place. They each 60 days in advance, for both i logged on at midnight (60 days prior) and locked in. Drooling already....

Unannounced Fart

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Southern California Trojans

I think the police got lucky with this one because the wine was actually returned anonymously by the buyer, whom the police deemed an "unsuspecting buyer." If that buyer didn't return the wine and kept it for himself, then I don't see how it could ever be recovered, even with the tricked out corks. Here's what I read about it:

In mid-January, less than a month after the French Laundry’s wine went missing, Brian Walker, a lawyer in Greensboro, N.C., called the Napa County Sheriff’s office and told them he had an anonymous client who knew where to find it. According to Walker, his client had purchased the wine from a broker he’d worked with before, only to find out from news articles that it had been stolen from the French Laundry. “I do know how they came to possess the wine,” Walker says. “But I can’t say what that is.” Four deputies flew from Napa to North Carolina and found all but four bottles of the French Laundry’s wine sitting in Walker’s law office. Walker says he doesn’t know what happened to the other four; his client never had them and assumes they’ve already been drunk.

This is from a pretty cool article talking about how authorities track down stolen and counterfeit wine. It also talks about a $650,000 wine heist in Seattle, whom the perpetrators are serving 14 years in prison for. For those interested: http://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2015-wine-detective-french-laundry-heist/

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You've dined at French Laundry? Well done, pretty awesome experience.

Just got ressies for the two most impossible local restaurants to book: State Bird Provisions, and Al's Place. They each 60 days in advance, for both i logged on at midnight (60 days prior) and locked in. Drooling already....

I'm in Napa/Sonoma yearly on "business" so I've dined at a lot of places in SF/wine country. Really want to get to State Bird Provisions. Don't know much about Al's Place. The French Laundry is a world class dining experience. Though, being in Napa Valley you would think they would have a more reasonably priced wine list or have a reasonable corkage policy.

DC

Donator
Liked Posts:
Any good Bordeaux reds under $30 out there nowadays?

RacerX

Liked Posts:
Any good Bordeaux reds under $30 out there nowadays?

No, those days are long gone. The only wine varietal for my taste that works @ < $30/bottle is Sancerre. Good reds are a rip-off unless you can navigate through all the hype and BS.

For my taste, currently the best value-wines are Oregon Pinots and WA-state Syrahs in the $50-$60 range.

DC

Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd love to try some good Sancerre. Any vintners in particular?

RacerX

Liked Posts:
I'd love to try some good Sancerre. Any vintners in particular?

One of the great attributes of Sancerre, from a buyer's perspective, is that there isn't much variance in quality among the vintners and vintages. Very consistent in quality.

I would head to my most trusted retail purveyor of the grapes and get a recommendation or two, ask for something crisp and dry with some balance to it, you can find really good bottles in the $20-$30/bottle range. I've found some really tasty pours as low as $17/bottle. Can't say that about any other varietal.

Reactions: DC

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Recieved a bottle of Chardonnay as an Xmas gift from a co-worker. Don't know much about wine, looked it up on a web site, got a 90 rating and average price of $32.
The Calling Russian River Valley 2013 Dutton Ranch. What do you think. Regift or worth keeping/drinking?

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I can't say that I know the producer. That said, Dutton Ranch is a well known and very good chardonnay vineyard.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Where does one sell wine? Not a firesale, but to get a fair return.

I have a bottle from 1975, Chateau La Dominique. despite the age, it's not particularly valuable. A case of six was given to us as a christening gift when I was a baby. It just happened to be a meh year for wines across the board because the same blend is quite valuable in differing years, so w/e. Supposed to be a 20 year aged wine before drinking, which was why it was a gift. They were taken care of by my parents and myself(helps that my dad's side of the family made wines and liquor for many generations), so no vinegar. But the thing is, I don't care for wine and don't really care to drink it either. I had one bottle with family and the girlfriend a few years ago, and it was actually pretty damn good. I'm just not into wine anymore. It's a bordeaux, and I've seen prices all-over the map for these and have no idea where to sell something like this.