Russell Wilson Offered $21m/yr - He declines

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
He isn't a top five QB anyway. In my opinion that is overpay for him. Let him not sign the deal. He is an idiot to walk away from that. From a statistical standpoint he doesn't warrant that big of an offer

ppl. get caught up in srats. Look whats happened for them since he;s been there vs when he wasn't there

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
If I'm Paul Allen, I calmly and graciously inform his agent, we feel it is in Russell's best interest to play out his contract and we will talk after the season. I could see RW declining that much money as one of the largest contract blunders in pro sports history if Allen pulls back.

Wilson is a huge unknown. What he has done probably 8-12 QB's in the league could have done with the same circumstances.

God is trolling RW if he told him to turn down $20+M per.

What he has done probably 8-12 QB's in the league could have done with the same circumstances..

you are marginalizing his accomplishments

8-12 QB's in the league.....don't have he's rating over the last 3yrs.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
LOL Wilson is not only insane, he's delusional. A guy who's been carried by the best defense in football wants to be the highest paid player in the game. He should take that contract offer and run with it before that team breaks up and the league finds out whether he can win when he has to put 30 points on the board.

Huxster

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The question is, Does Russell Wilson make the team better? or does the team make Russell Wilson better? In Rodgers case it's the former in Wilson's maybe the FO have answered to the latter.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
LMAO at some of the morons on here that can't do simple math.

Seahags are offering him 21 m starting this year! That is 20 mill over and above what he is slated to make this year. he is not a free agent until next year!

Ergo, in order to just break even next year in free agency, a team would have to be willing to pay him 26 mil a year over the course of a four year contract just to break even. This can't be right, no one is that stupid...........

And then there's this, according to ProFootballTalk: "Word on the NFL grapevine is that the Seahawks have offered (Wilson) a package worth nearly $21 million per year, with significant guaranteed money."

This can't be all that it seems, there has to be something in the guaranteed money that has Wilson not willing to sign.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

He was asked to do a bit more this year and his performance went down. This offer is exactly what I thought it should be. They may move a small amount and put him into a top few type deal but no way he deserves to be the top paid QB. He will get PAID as the salaries are going up with every cycle and I think some are looking at yesterday's values but no way should he get more than low 20s. The guy can make chicken salad out of chicken shit at times but he can do what he did in the SB when asked to play it straight up as well. Other QBs can break a knee, come back and still be effective from the pocket. He's a good pocket passer but not great. If he loses any mobility, he's just good. Little guys need to move just see what's going on.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Seahags are offering him 21 m starting this year! That is 20 mill over and above what he is slated to make this year. he is not a free agent until next year!

Ergo, in order to just break even next year in free agency, a team would have to be willing to pay him 26 mil a year over the course of a four year contract just to break even. This can't be right, no one is that stupid...........

This can't be all that it seems, there has to be something in the guaranteed money that has Wilson not willing to sign.
Do you know it's not an extension as would be the normal course of events? Perhaps they're not redoing his rookie deal. The bonus could be his but his salary next year may not be affected though in effect, his actual income would be. He may also hold out instead of play which will force Seattle's hand. Lots we don't know. Perhaps the deal does not allow him to make $21m next year or average.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
LOL Wilson is not only insane, he's delusional. A guy who's been carried by the best defense in football wants to be the highest paid player in the game. He should take that contract offer and run with it before that team breaks up and the league finds out whether he can win when he has to put 30 points on the board.

Seahawks will be in cap hell and will end up losing pieces to their team. Wilson is taking way too much credit for the seahawks success

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I don't agree with your reasoning. He has three full seasons of tape, so he isn't fluke or a mystery but I do think that he should not turn down generational wealth. If I were him I try to guarantee all of it and take 21 for 4 and have at least one more prime career bite at the apple.
Steve Young was sort of in the opposite situation. He played for awful TB in 85 and 86. He was 3-16 as a starter with passe ratings of 56.9 and 65.5, he went to SF and led them to a record of 91-33 and averaged 101.4 the remainder of his career. R Wilson fell into the perfect situation that has created a chance to highlight every positive aspect of his game without him actually doing much of the heavy lifting. He is a good, maybe very good QB, but I have zero doubt $21+ M/yr is overpaying him. That is assuming the article is correct about significant guarantees.

Colin Kaep contract averages $19M but only $12 M guaranteed and only $15 and $16M in the 1st 2 years. So if Sea is going this route I could see the differences in opinion arising.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

But well over 12 have more yards, attempts, and completions over that time.

inchibearfan

Liked Posts:
Russell Wilson will get this money whether the Seahawks give it to him or another team will. He WILL become the leagues highest paid player. This is how NFL contracts work. He's a very good young QB on one of the best teams of the last 3 seasons. Whether he's better than Rodgers or not is entirely irrelevant. Thats not how NFL contracts work exactly. There are a lot of QBs Joe Flacco was worse than but still got more money.

Warden is exactly correct above - He has all the leverage. He'll get the contract he wants. Just depends on if the Seahawks will be the team that gives it to him. The Seahawks would be foolish to let Russell Wilson go.

The Hawks would be foolish to not pay the man, he averages 350 passing yards a game and carries the entire team. It is not like the Hawks are stacked on defense so Wilson's play on offense directly reflects on the outcome.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
ppl. get caught up in srats. Look whats happened for them since he;s been there vs when he wasn't there
Yeah, just ignore that the defense went from being ranked 26,25,7 the three year previous to 1,1,1 during his tenure That would have nothing to do with what has happened.
I hope he gets the money. One more team with an albatross QB contract could only be good for the Bears.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

This is what I was trying to say less well. Add in the franchise tags for us will ya bud? How much money is he leaving on the table with this? hahah....its insane to turn down when you are leveraged for 3 years.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Seattle can franchise him for two years. Can trade him during that time as well. Hell colts cut Manning to get Luck. If there is a sure fire QB in the draft I would trade Wilson for 2 1st rounders and take my chances. Seattle knows who to build in the draft like Baltimore.

CRM 114

Premium Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
What a selfish little bitch. I think Seattle may want to explore a different option at QB.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
OT: Russell Wilson Offered $21m/yr - He declines

Wilson made that team a SB contender. But if the rumor is true, he should probably take the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ptisme

Liked Posts:
He isn't a top five QB anyway. In my opinion that is overpay for him. Let him not sign the deal. He is an idiot to walk away from that. From a statistical standpoint he doesn't warrant that big of an offer

I don't understand what his endgame is. If they let him walk he'll get paid more but where will he find a team with the talent around him he has in Seattle?