Russell Wilson Offered $21m/yr - He declines

Mitchapalooza

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...fered-russell-wilson-nearly-21-million-a-year

Report: Seahawks offered Russell Wilson nearly $21 million a year
By Ryan Wilson | CBSSports.com
July 25, 2015 5:07 pm ET

Russell Wilson, who is in the final year of his rookie deal, is set to make $1.54 million in 2015. Ideally, the quarterback would make a lot more than that. The issue, however, is that he and the Seahawks aren't (yet) on the same page when it comes to his value. We've heard everything from Wilson wants to be the NFL's highest paid quarterback and he wants to be in Seattle for a "really, really long time," to he "would definitely consider" playing both football and baseball in the future.

As it stands, the NFL's top-earning quarterbacks, on average, are Aaron Rodgers ($22.0 million), Ben Roethlisberger ($21.85 million), Cam Newton ($20.76 million), Matt Ryan ($20.75 million) and Joe Flacco ($20.1 million).

And then there's this, according to ProFootballTalk: "Word on the NFL grapevine is that the Seahawks have offered (Wilson) a package worth nearly $21 million per year, with significant guaranteed money."

And so far, Wilson hasn't taken it. Which suggests that he's looking for more (and lends credence to the report that he wants to be the league's highest-paid player).

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Did the Bears offer that to him? Hmmmm????

FireFox

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He isn't a top five QB anyway. In my opinion that is overpay for him. Let him not sign the deal. He is an idiot to walk away from that. From a statistical standpoint he doesn't warrant that big of an offer

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
If I'm Paul Allen, I calmly and graciously inform his agent, we feel it is in Russell's best interest to play out his contract and we will talk after the season. I could see RW declining that much money as one of the largest contract blunders in pro sports history if Allen pulls back.

Wilson is a huge unknown. What he has done probably 8-12 QB's in the league could have done with the same circumstances.

God is trolling RW if he told him to turn down $20+M per.

Reactions: 1ke

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
If I'm Paul Allen, I calmly and graciously inform his agent, we feel it is in Russell's best interest to play out his contract and we will talk after the season. I could see RW declining that much money as one of the largest contract blunders in pro sports history if Allen pulls back.

Wilson is a huge unknown. What he has done probably 8-12 QB's in the league could have done with the same circumstances.

This is where the agent needs to stop being a pussy and be straight with the player. YOU DO NOT DESERVE MORE THAN THAT SO GO ON TAKE THE MONEY AND RUN. His agent should have been Steve Miller.

JDB_219

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I don't agree with your reasoning. He has three full seasons of tape, so he isn't fluke or a mystery but I do think that he should not turn down generational wealth. If I were him I try to guarantee all of it and take 21 for 4 and have at least one more prime career bite at the apple.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Seattle offered him a pretty fair contract. He isn't better than Rodgers. Plus with the number 1 defense in NFL and beast mode, Wilson maybe overestimating himself. To be honest, Seattle almost lost to Green Bay in NFCC game due to Wilson's lackluster play. Man Wilson doesn't care about winning, he is worried about himself. Let him go and start fresh. With that FO and coaching staff, it will be only a matter of time before Seattle will be good again.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
with a year left on rookie deal it is exactly like getting the biggest contact ever. Neither Aaron or Ben made that on their first big deal.

The Seahawks are leveraging a 19 million dollar difference in year 4 and still giving him 21!! Its the biggest deal!!

Aso

Liked Posts:
Russell Wilson will get this money whether the Seahawks give it to him or another team will. He WILL become the leagues highest paid player. This is how NFL contracts work. He's a very good young QB on one of the best teams of the last 3 seasons. Whether he's better than Rodgers or not is entirely irrelevant. Thats not how NFL contracts work exactly. There are a lot of QBs Joe Flacco was worse than but still got more money.

Warden is exactly correct above - He has all the leverage. He'll get the contract he wants. Just depends on if the Seahawks will be the team that gives it to him. The Seahawks would be foolish to let Russell Wilson go.