Way OT: How the Monstars could have won

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
...still as worthy of a debate as some had on this forum. Speaking as one who is guilty in contributing towards em

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I more so think you need to look at that the Monstars took the talent of Shawn Fucking Bradley.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Assuming the events took place after 1993 but before 1995, the ’94-’95 NBA season is our best indicator of player performance at the time of the Tune Squad-Monstars game. According to Basketball-Reference.com’s advance stats, the Nerdlucks didn’t steal the talent of a single player in the top five when it came to VORP ("Value Over Replacement Player"), PER (“Player Efficiency Rating”), or Win Shares Per 48 Minutes.Factoring all those advanced metrics, the best starting five the Monstars could have chosen would likely have been:
C: David Robinson (8.1 VORP, .273 WS/48, 29.1 PER)
PF: Karl Malone (6.1 VORP, .212 WS/48, 25.1 PER)
SF: Scottie Pippen (7.4 VORP, .188 WS/48, 22.6 PER)
SG: Clyde Drexler (5.9 VORP, .206 WS/48, 22.4 PER)
PG: John Stockton (5.4 VORP, .233 WS/48, 23.3 PER)

(You can argue for HakeemOlajuwon over Robinson—it's hard not to.)
By using those Win Shares per 48 minutes (the "average number of wins produced by a player per 48 minutes"—check this out for a more in-depth analysis), we can extrapolate that team's performance if they played all 82 games of an NBA regular season without missing a single minute and figure out total wins produced.
What about fatigue, you ask? These are alien monsters, so that argument is absurd. You are being absurd.
By taking their WS/48 and multiplying it by 3936 (the total number of minutes an NBA team will play in a season), the above team would have won 90 games out of a possible 82. Pretty good.
The actual Monstars line-up of Ewing (.157 WS/48), Barkley (.214 WS/48), Johnson (.126 WS/48), Bogues (.157 WS/48), and Bradley (.071 WS/48) would have won 60 games in that same NBA season. They wouldn't have even had the best record in the league in '94-'95, as the San Antonio Spurs (who had no alien monsters) won 62 games. Why wouldn't the Monstars go with a team that would win eight more games than was even possible?
​That was fun

Naptastic

Liked Posts:
To give them some credit, they had to choose star power over efficiency.

Michaels box score is pretty amazing tho: "he went 22-22, scoring 44 points (including the game-winning three-point dunk at the buzzer)"

Pretty awesome. :bowrofl:

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
To give them some credit, they had to choose star power over efficiency.

Michaels box score is pretty amazing tho: "he went 22-22, scoring 44 points (including the game-winning three-point dunk at the buzzer)"

Pretty awesome. :bowrofl:

Am I the only one who realizes that it is not possible to make 22 field goals with at least one three-pointer and not have at least 45 points?

(edit) I just re-watched and remembered that they only counted it as two points -_-

Last edited:

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
Am I the only one who realizes that it is not possible to make 22 field goals with at least one three-pointer and not have at least 45 points?

I believe the dunk is technically a two. Unless he released it and layed it in. Then it would be a 3.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I believe the dunk is technically a two. Unless he released it and layed it in. Then it would be a 3.

Well, it was counted as a two. But he didn't touch the rim. The last time any part of Jordan's body touched the court it was behind the three-point line. Therefore, it should've been a three.

But I guess it's not such a big deal seeing as how the Toon Squad somehow were credit for a mysterious 10 points that they didn't score in the last few seconds of the game.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Is this why Bulls fans think MJ could beat 5 HOF on the court at once?

Fucking Space Jam!

On another note, they make with Lebron. I am going to lose my shit. That was a one time greatness. Don't ruin it.

Naptastic

Liked Posts:
Speaking who of the new one, who gets to be on the new Toon Squad? obviously Lebron has his buddies, but D-Wade is too old.

Maybe Paul, Harden, Durant, Lebron, and Davis? That's star power and solid players. Both marketable and realistic. As much as keeping it real matters in a fictional kids movie.

Heinrich comes off the bench?

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
If Lebron is in the next space jam the monstars are fucked anyways. You see when Jordan was playing to free the looney toons, it was the 90's and the game was way more physical but now if the monstars try any of their shit against LeBron the whistle will be automatic

BearDen

High Ranking Member
Liked Posts:
If Lebron is in the next space jam the monstars are fucked anyways. You see when Jordan was playing to free the looney toons, it was the 90's and the game was way more physical but now if the monstars try any of their shit against LeBron the whistle will be automatic

Lebron would just team up with the Monstars anyway.

BearDen

High Ranking Member
Liked Posts:
Instead of a three pt dunk, he would win by flopping on the 3pt line, then sinking the free throws.

Nah he'll hit the gamewinner as time expires....during a timeout.