OT - What are your thoughts on Chip Kelly

HansGruber

INFIDEL
Liked Posts:
Well according to McCoy Chip hates black people so....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Well according to McCoy Chip hates black people so....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

According to Riley Cooper he wants to kick McCoy's ass :smug2:

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
Chip reminds me of one of those Madden players that takes advantage of all the glitches in the game. Not a guy that can out play anyone in a strait up match. I think he is bad for the game and I hope he fails badly. I like real football where you line up and outplay your opponent, I don't like the tricky dicky type of football. No tricks will give you a advantage for long at this level of football. Not giving the D time to get set or call a play takes away from the strategy of the game and that is what is so interesting about the game. We should all hope he fails or the league will copy cat him and then football takes another step backwards from the once great game it was.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Chip reminds me of one of those Madden players that takes advantage of all the glitches in the game. Not a guy that can out play anyone in a strait up match. I think he is bad for the game and I hope he fails badly. I like real football where you line up and outplay your opponent, I don't like the tricky dicky type of football. No tricks will give you a advantage for long at this level of football. Not giving the D time to get set or call a play takes away from the strategy of the game and that is what is so interesting about the game. We should all hope he fails or the league will copy cat him and then football takes another step backwards from the once great game it was.

Chip's certainly not the first to go with an up tempo offense to keep the D from substituting. See nothing wrong with that. Certainly not cheating on a Patriots level. His downfall will be with the players. He's getting a bad rep as a HC who not only devalues players but believes in system over players.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
As an offensive mind Chip is one of the finest in the game but as a personnel guy I have my doubts. Ego may have something to do with it because Reid/Former GM left him with plenty of talent that could thrive in his system and it would appear he has run most of them out of town for "his" guys.

Milton Waddams

Liked Posts:
I feel like his system is gimmicky and will not work long-term in the NFL (see: Wildcat formation). I see him going back to college for huge $$ within the next couple of years.

RisWell

Liked Posts:
I feel like his system is gimmicky and will not work long-term in the NFL (see: Wildcat formation). I see him going back to college for huge $$ within the next couple of years.
What is his gimmick? He has had a pure non mobile pocket passer going on 3 years.

Milton Waddams

Liked Posts:
I don't watch them much, but what I've seen of PHI:

-They line people up in really weird formations. They'll have O-Linemen split out wide, standing where a WR would stand (leaving 3 people on the line or something).
-They run a spread offense. It's proven successful in college. Not so much in the NFL. His having a traditional pocket passer is a result of not just being able to wish himself a mobile one. Vick is done. Tebow can run, but he can't pass. QB's who can run his system well don't grow on trees. I'm still surprised they didn't give up the farm to get Mariota (unless TEN just wouldn't bite).
-They have a very rapid rate of play. It's not just a hurry up offense, which most teams use at some point or another. Their goal is to run a shitload of offensive plays, subbing guys in and out to be fresher than the opponent. A previous poster made the point much better when they said his goal in college was to wear down the opposing star players, knowing that Oregon's depth was much better than the opponent's depth.
-He's jettisoned a lot of good players to build "his" roster. I'm all for having the best team (sometimes character trumps talent, for example). We'll see if this part works now.

He just seems to be way too much of a mad scientist. Some of the stuff I like (like the next-level fitness stuff) I don't think you can reinvent the wheel at the NFL level though. The players and coaches are too good. Tried and true works. Talent wins. You might be able to catch people off guard with something new, giving you an advantage for a short period of time. Over time it gets caught up with and the better coach, qb, team wins. I don't see him as an elite coach (as he was thought to be when hired). Granted, there aren't many great coaches (you can count them on one hand). I don't think the BEARS have an elite coach either. I think Fox is just good (more like Lovie's level). Hopefully he's exactly what we need after that clown show that just left town.

PHI has been better than the BEARS though. They're exciting (not for me, but for a lot of fans -- I don't get excited about anything non-BEARS related). We'll see what happens with him/them in the future. I just think he wanted the challenge of coaching at the highest level. Most of the great college coaches do (ego?). Eventually most of them fizzle out, go back to college, and kick ass again there. Even a guy like Carroll - I still don't think he's all that. I think his GM and talent people have done an amazing job and/or gotten lucky over a few-year span, building a team with a ton of talent.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It will be interesting to see if Kelly can bring that team together, get them to buy in, and work as a cohesive team after all the roster moves.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
My opinion is Chip Kelly has a massive ego, an ego so massive that he doesn't care if he fails in the NFL because he'll happily go back to the college game and make $6-million a year at a power-5 conference school. He could easily destroy the Eagles and make them irrelevant for the next five years and he could care less about that level of failure in the NFL.

That ego, combined with a soft landing cushion back in the college ranks could spell absolute doom. I wouldn't want him as the coach of my team because I don't see a desire for long term success, just a desire to prove his system and his style of play can work at some level. He wants to prove the naysayers wrong or he'll go back to college. His thinking is fundamentally flawed and dangerous.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
My opinion is Chip Kelly has a massive ego, an ego so massive that he doesn't care if he fails in the NFL because he'll happily go back to the college game and make $6-million a year at a power-5 conference school. He could easily destroy the Eagles and make them irrelevant for the next five years and he could care less about that level of failure in the NFL.

That ego, combined with a soft landing cushion back in the college ranks could spell absolute doom. I wouldn't want him as the coach of my team because I don't see a desire for long term success, just a desire to prove his system and his style of play can work at some level. He wants to prove the naysayers wrong or he'll go back to college. His thinking is fundamentally flawed and dangerous.

This is actually my greatest NFL fear. Personally I don't see him as having a big ego, more that he doesn't care about how things have been done by the previous regime or by the NFL in general. The reason why I say this is if it was all about ego he'd hire a bunch of 'yes men'. There are 2 hires specifically that don't fit that line of thinking:

Pat Shurmur - Current OC who's a former HC who is not a spread concept guy. He's more of a WCO, so on a pure schematic level there were was non fit. Kelly's logic for bringing him in was that he felt an understanding of WCO was missing from the concepts they were running and they both had the same base fundamentals in how they thought an offense should run (low turnover rate and high completion rate).

Ed Marynowitz - Vice President of Player Personnel - He was a hold over from the Andy Reid regime who was promoted under Kelly. He's regarded as a guy who will question everything and has strong thoughts/feelings on how a team should be run.

Chip overall talks about avoid 'group think' by surrounding himself with strong personalities. This could be him just saying things I want to hear, but most of the hires follow that mantra. Actually I thought the Shurmur hire was funny because on the surface he was a non fit. In his first press conference he was being asked about how Chip runs his offense and he didn't seem comfortable about the concepts or even onboard with what Chip wanted to do.

My personal thoughts on Chip is that he's a football robot. He process info with almost no emotional attachment. If something doesn't work it's cut and if he sees something new he thinks will work they will start implementing quickly. In that process he bruises a lot of other peoples' egos, but he just doesn't care. That's where all the racism talk comes from. In a very genuinely cold way he switches directions leaving players feeling like they were mislead. The end result is probably the same as being an ego-manic, but it's the opposite by design.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
This is actually my greatest NFL fear. Personally I don't see him as having a big ego, more that he doesn't care about how things have been done by the previous regime or by the NFL in general. The reason why I say this is if it was all about ego he'd hire a bunch of 'yes men'. There are 2 hires specifically that don't fit that line of thinking:

Pat Shurmur - Current OC who's a former HC who is not a spread concept guy. He's more of a WCO, so on a pure schematic level there were was non fit. Kelly's logic for bringing him in was that he felt an understanding of WCO was missing from the concepts they were running and they both had the same base fundamentals in how they thought an offense should run (low turnover rate and high completion rate).

Ed Marynowitz - Vice President of Player Personnel - He was a hold over from the Andy Reid regime who was promoted under Kelly. He's regarded as a guy who will question everything and has strong thoughts/feelings on how a team should be run.

Chip overall talks about avoid 'group think' by surrounding himself with strong personalities. This could be him just saying things I want to hear, but most of the hires follow that mantra. Actually I thought the Shurmur hire was funny because on the surface he was a non fit. In his first press conference he was being asked about how Chip runs his offense and he didn't seem comfortable about the concepts or even onboard with what Chip wanted to do.

My personal thoughts on Chip is that he's a football robot. He process info with almost no emotional attachment. If something doesn't work it's cut and if he sees something new he thinks will work they will start implementing quickly. In that process he bruises a lot of other peoples' egos, but he just doesn't care. That's where all the racism talk comes from. In a very genuinely cold way he switches directions leaving players feeling like they were mislead. The end result is probably the same as being an ego-manic, but it's the opposite by design.

I think he's an egomaniac from the standpoint that he feels he can plug Sam Bradford into his system and succeed.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I think he's an egomaniac from the standpoint that he feels he can plug Sam Bradford into his system and succeed.

I'm not disagreeing wtih you and I do value each persons response, but he's had success plugging Vick, Foles and Sanchez into that scheme. Come to think of it no QB has really failed in that system/scheme yet. That doesn't mean it's bulletproof, but in general he's made each QB perform better statistically then they have in other systems.

I'd add, even if he's not an egomaniac, but treats everyone like he is, what's the difference? Egomaniacs can fail because the people around them stop supporting what they are doing. If the way he acts has the same end result it's effectively the same thing.

I'd also add there have been many egomaniacs that have succeeded as NFL head coaches. Jimmy Johnson immediately comes to mind, but he's far from the only one.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I'm not disagreeing wtih you and I do value each persons response, but he's had success plugging Vick, Foles and Sanchez into that scheme. Come to think of it no QB has really failed in that system/scheme yet. That doesn't mean it's bulletproof, but in general he's made each QB perform better statistically then they have in other systems.

I'd add, even if he's not an egomaniac, but treats everyone like he is, what's the difference? Egomaniacs can fail because the people around them stop supporting what they are doing. If the way he acts has the same end result it's effectively the same thing.

I'd also add there have been many egomaniacs that have succeeded as NFL head coaches. Jimmy Johnson immediately comes to mind, but he's far from the only one.
That said, the only type of QB that could screw up Kelly's system is one that can't stay on the field... Enter Bradford lol.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
That said, the only type of QB that could screw up Kelly's system is one that can't stay on the field... Enter Bradford lol.

The way I see it is the Eagles have a high first round prospect at QB who's had some NFL success, are on his second team and came their undervalued due to injury. The nice part about positioning it that way is it covers both Bradford and Sanchez...

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The way to stop any form of hurry up offense is to make them go three and out