If 1 Phil Emery Draft Pick could step up?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If 1 Phil Emery draft pick could step up and become really good this season who would it be?

For me it would be Ego Ferguson.

It seems that in Emery's drafts he blew either his 1st or 2nd round pick. I have essentially written off McClellin and Bostic, anything the Bears get from them is bonus.

With the razor thin depth and McDonalds release Ferguson becoming worthy of his 2nd round status would be huge.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
Don't count out shea bro for the first time in his career he is in the right defense at the right position

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It would be. It would also be huge if Shea was used as the 3-4 OLB pass rusher everyone thought he was most ideally suited for and managed to do well. I think the lack of pass rush is going to be a huge Achilles heel for the defense again. Right now the starting pass rushers are Lamarr Houston and a backup from Baltimore. Not exactly promising.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Don't count out shea bro for the first time in his career he is in the right defense at the right position

He can't cover and shouldn't be an ILB in a 3-4 or any kind of LB in a 4-3.

At the lower weight he isn't an NFL player period. He gets pushed around way too easily. His only use, if he has any at all, would be to get stronger and fight for a pass rushing spot.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
It would be. It would also be huge if Shea was used as the 3-4 OLB pass rusher everyone thought he was most ideally suited for and managed to do well. I think the lack of pass rush is going to be a huge Achilles heel for the defense again. Right now the starting pass rushers are Lamarr Houston and a backup from Baltimore. Not exactly promising.

I thought Jared Allen was a starter?

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
He can't cover and shouldn't be an ILB in a 3-4 or any kind of LB in a 4-3.

At the lower weight he isn't an NFL player period. He gets pushed around way too easily. His only use, if he has any at all, would be to get stronger and fight for a pass rushing spot.

Thank you.

I don't understand this blind optimism people have for McClellan. He's not a good football player. Period. He's done nothing to warrant the defense he gets here.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I thought Jared Allen was a starter?

The depth chart isn't out yet but everything I've read has had Houston and McPhee as the provisional starters. I would rather it be Allen than Houston.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Thank you.

I don't understand this blind optimism people have for McClellan. He's not a good football player. Period. He's done nothing to warrant the defense he gets here.

Looks like a corn-bred Midwestern white kid people went to school with, and has become somewhat of an underdog. I think it's mostly that. Identification more than analysis.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
The depth chart isn't out yet but everything I've read has had Houston and McPhee as the provisional starters. I would rather it be Allen than Houston.

Hopefully, they utilize a system that A) rotates the pass rushers to keep them fresh as the game goes on and B) has packages that allows for multiple pass rushers to rush on the same play in given circumstances.

So you want to have your strongest pass rushers on the field at the same time, but at the same time, you want to keep them fresh. It's a challenge and they have to find the right middle ground.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Do you mean other than Jeffery, Long, and Fuller?

Jeffery and Long have already stepped up.

Fuller is a good one. We definitely need a big step up from him from year one to two.

Don't Care

CCS Jesus
Liked Posts:

How can the lack of a pass rush be an "Achilles heel"? Achilles' heel implies that something is a small weakness in comparison to a larger showing of strength. You make it sound like the Bears defense is perfect except for rushing the pass. Superman being brought down by kryptonite is an example of an Achilles' heel. If a football defense lacks a pass rush that pretty much implies the whole defense is shit.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
How can the lack of a pass rush be an "Achilles heel"? Achilles' heel implies that something is a small weakness in comparison to a larger showing of strength. You make it sound like the Bears defense is perfect except for rushing the pass. Superman being brought down by kryptonite is an example of an Achilles' heel. If a football defense lacks a pass rush that pretty much implies the whole defense is shit.

I mean that regardless of how decent the line is, or if the ILBs are solid, or if Fuller has a breakout year and the secondary is better than expected, the lack of a pass rush is what I see as the significant issue that will lead to their downfall regardless of what else happens.

Larsonite

Guacamole Taco
Liked Posts:
If 1 Phil Emery draft pick could step up and become really good this season who would it be?

For me it would be Ego Ferguson.

It seems that in Emery's drafts he blew either his 1st or 2nd round pick. I have essentially written off McClellin and Bostic, anything the Bears get from them is bonus.

With the razor thin depth and McDonalds release Ferguson becoming worthy of his 2nd round status would be huge.

I think Ego will have a great year. I saw enough last year from him to be confident he's an acceding player.

I'd really like to see mills step up his game. Not that he will, just that it would mean a lot to our whole offense.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Emery had some evaluation traits for sure. The guy was a scout. I don't think he left us empty handed at all with free agents or picks. Long, Jeffrey are stars.

Fuller, Bostic, Wilson, Ego have the athletic talent to contribute.

Allen will bounce back this year and have fun in a 3-4. 10 sacks.

I will write off Shea...we just got a bad apple.

Emery just completely fucked up the coaching search because he wanted organized, cerebral individuals who fit his personal zeitgiest for success. Sometimes we can't see out of our own box, and he should have realized the qualities of a great scout are not an NFL coach. Charisma. He missed that one entirely.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think Ego will have a great year. I saw enough last year from him to be confident he's an acceding player.

I'd really like to see mills step up his game. Not that he will, just that it would mean a lot to our whole offense.

and yes...Emery was better at seeing character in players. and Trestman had high character, just couldn't keep the locker room with that alone and no charisma to command respect. Long, Jeffrey, Fuller, Bostic, Ego....I mean I think all those guys want it, and will make it eventually because they do.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:

I thnk Shea is a great fit....

For the CFL....

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
The guy I'd like to see step up for the Bears from the Emery drafts is Brock Vereen. He's around a cast of average at best safeties, so he can move forward. He flashed a bit last year and with an offseason to adjust to the speed of the game he might be a steady starter.