Win 10 - Whats your plan?

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Are you gon do an upgrade? Clean install? When? Or will you avoid it?

Personally, I am pretty excited about win 10.

Right now, I have win 7 on my gaming desktop and win 8.1 on my laptop.

Obviously, win 7 is great. But, once the dust settled (and I installed classic shell) imo, 8.1 turned out pretty great. Its very subjective, but 8.1 seems lean and fast compared to 7. And I have not been able to get usb speeds in 7 like I have in 8, though maybe thats my fault.

Anyway, beyond all the new upgrades, if win 10 is a refined version of 8 that returns focus to desktop (or gives you the option) imo, it could be pretty great. Even without getting into dx12 or universal api and whatnot.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I kinda want to get 10 sooner than later, but don't really want to be in the first wave of adopters. I would like to make sure at the very least that the games I play will run.

Wintermute

Liked Posts:
lol, NO

Maybe in 5 years when they knock the bugs out. I have Win 8.1 on my new laptop and it's anything but fast or great after I installed all the updates. Maybe I'll try it on my SSD when it comes, but really doubt it.

Windows 10 is a chocolate covered turd until proven otherwise.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
lol, NO

Maybe in 5 years when they knock the bugs out. I have Win 8.1 on my new laptop and it's anything but fast or great after I installed all the updates. Maybe I'll try it on my SSD when it comes, but really doubt it.

Windows 10 is a chocolate covered turd until proven otherwise.

What if win 10 is like the change from vista to 7? It would be following the every other OS trend. Not sure why you would stick with 8 if you dont like it.

Wintermute

Liked Posts:
What if win 10 is like the change from vista to 7? It would be following the every other OS trend. Not sure why you would stick with 8 if you dont like it.

Just to clarify: Meant to say might give 8.1 another chance on my SSD, otherwise I'm looking at downgrading back to 7. Yes, I agree, they seem to go turd-mode every other OS. Hell, I even gave ME a chance. Derp.

Regards 10, hope this is the case with the every other OS trend, but again, not likely to jump on board until I see some strong reviews.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Reviews for something like this don't matter. Microsoft has it's PR team all over the place, actually had it all over the place hyping things up for some time. When you see 100 paid review sites pushing the same talking point (must be good, because MS has a trends of every other Windows release being good <-talking point for this one) without any objective testing, then you know it's a hype campaign.

But IMO if you follow subversions, then everything should make more sense, like 95A sucked, 95B and OSR was okay for what it was. 98 was worse than 95B, but 98SE was good. ME was abandoned and purposefully botched to push users to the NT kernel for 2000 and IMO 2000 was okay after SP1. XP SP1 + was good, but XP was really bad before SP1(something forgotten quickly). XP64 was Server 2003, and that also worked very good after a few major updates, but not before. Vista SP1 is 99% windows 7, which was good all around for those who gave it a chance after a bad launch with nightmare compatibility issues. 8 sucked, but then 8.1 fixed most of those issues, even if some features need to be hacked a bit. So really, it's not an every other release deal, this is about the initial compatibilities and annoyances getting worked out.

Heck, look at how many sites kept giving all of those Lumia Phones high marks. But in the end, nobody bought them because they were locked down and slow.

I think it's going to go down like this, mainly because I've already used 10 previews and final. The backlash over certain features will slowly spring up, the instabilities and incompatibilities will get fixed. But the small features and design elements will be more than enough to keep a large chunk of users pissed off. Those users will go with 8.1 with metro deletes(yes, this is faster and works like 7) for as long as they can.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Strong run game, better defense, and limit turnovers.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
When I get around to building my next pc ill probably go 7 or 8 and wait and see how things go with 10 before upgrading, unless things are going well with 10 by then and theres no reason not to go straight to it. I dont care for the forced updates at all though, and honestly the only thing about 10 that interests me in dx12. I wish I could go without windows all together. it pisses me off that to have a practical pc i have to have some forced overpriced bs on it.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I am upgrading to 10 on my little sister's laptop I just bought her to fuck around with the OS and give it a try. As for my gaming rig I am going to have a 2nd SSD with a fresh Windows 7 install and will upgrade to 10 on the other SSD so if things become unstable for me while gaming in Windows 10 then I will have my Windows 7 installation to fall back on.

Either way its not even that much of a problem. If I remember right you can just roll back to your previous installation if you don't like the current state of Windows 10.

Here is a list of known working games in Windows 10 as well as a short list of games not working: http://wccftech.com/windows-10-compatible-games/

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
I am upgrading to 10 on my little sister's laptop I just bought her to fuck around with the OS and give it a try. As for my gaming rig I am going to have a 2nd SSD with a fresh Windows 7 install and will upgrade to 10 on the other SSD so if things become unstable for me while gaming in Windows 10 then I will have my Windows 7 installation to fall back on.

Either way its not even that much of a problem. If I remember right you can just roll back to your previous installation if you don't like the current state of Windows 10.

Here is a list of known working games in Windows 10 as well as a short list of games not working: http://wccftech.com/windows-10-compatible-games/

I just read in some article online that rolling back will be rather difficult, if at all possible. who knows how accurate that is though?

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yeah I can't say with any certainty myself which is why I am taking the approach I mentioned instead to guarantee a headache-free operation.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
Ive never really looked into having more than one storage drive, how does that work exactly? particularly when people talk about having a small boot sdd and a large mass storage hdd? when they mention keeping their games on the hdd? whats the point if the games are on the hdd? do they transfer whatever game they happening to be playing to the sdd and then uninstall it when done with it?

It honestly seem like a hassle just to save a few seconds. unless I could afford a huge sdd it seems more convenient just to stick with one large hdd. but then I also heard you shouldnt write to a sdd regularly ,so... anyway, im just curious.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
SSDs have a limit of how many writes can be made to the memory. So ideally you don't want to use an SSD in a scenario in which you're constantly overwriting data or transferring large files on a consistent basis. That is why sometimes people will use a smallish SSD like a 128GB drive for their operating system then keep a secondary drive as their storage drive, be it mechanical or another SSD. Me, I give no fucks. I am just going to buy a new 512GB or 1TB SSD which is going to house my OS and games. I made the mistake of getting a piddly 256GB SSD which is frankly a pain in the ass for me since I am constantly having to uninstall and reinstall games. So by doubling or quadrupling the size I shouldn't have that issue anymore. I also keep a 1TB mechanical drive which is almost at capacity. Bitch has like 100GB left if that.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
My system runs 6 drives internally(plus external backup). But trying to explain it to a windows user is me just basically saying raid and backup solutions. When it's far more complicated than that.

ShiftyDevil

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Washington Huskies
I bought a new SSD during that Amazon Prime sale planning to replace my current OS drive with it, figured when I did that I'd install 10. Sadly my Steam/Music/other games drive decided it was time to start smashing the heads into the disk on Saturday so I replaced that with the drive I bought.

I'm happy enough with 7 that I'm not in a hurry to upgrade. I'll probably wait until any initial kinks are ironed out, I've heard mostly good things about it.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
SSDs have a limit of how many writes can be made to the memory. So ideally you don't want to use an SSD in a scenario in which you're constantly overwriting data or transferring large files on a consistent basis. That is why sometimes people will use a smallish SSD like a 128GB drive for their operating system then keep a secondary drive as their storage drive, be it mechanical or another SSD. Me, I give no fucks. I am just going to buy a new 512GB or 1TB SSD which is going to house my OS and games. I made the mistake of getting a piddly 256GB SSD which is frankly a pain in the ass for me since I am constantly having to uninstall and reinstall games. So by doubling or quadrupling the size I shouldn't have that issue anymore. I also keep a 1TB mechanical drive which is almost at capacity. Bitch has like 100GB left if that.

Have you ever seen Steam Mover? Its fucking amazing.

http://www.traynier.com/software/steammover