Jeremy Langford will take carries away from Forte by mid season.HubArkush

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
I disagree. I think the whole rebuilding thing has been dead for a while now

I don't think the Bears are in a rebuild mode, when I think rebuild I envision the team starting from scratch...basically anyone that isn't you with potential or are already starter quality is at risk to be gone. SF and NO, especially NO, are rebuilding...the Bears have some talent on the offensive side of the ball and have potential on the defensive side, but one I (and assume when others) say the Bears are a few years out it is more about a new staff, a new defensive system, and young players coming into the starting roles. That is what will take the time in my opinion.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Forte is outstanding.. but doubtful he will still be in good shape when the bears return to competetiveness. It is a shame, he busted his ass for this team. But you are right- might be time to start looking ahead.
Ultimately you are correct- Forte is a luxury that helps now, not long term. and long term is where this team needs to put its efforts.

Come on, now. If there is one thing you bet the farm on its Forte showing up in not just "good shape," but PHENOMENAL SHAPE.

We also need to realize that turn arounds don't take 5 years. We should be back in playoffs NEXT YEAR. And once you're in the playoffs, anything can happen.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
They clearly do not see Forte in the future, not do I think Pace/Fox will be investing that type of money at the position in the future.

Langford has to be ready.

Did you just say that Fox doesn't believe in investing money in the RB position?

Cough... Cough... D. Williams... Jonathan Stewart...Mike Tolbert... Cough....

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I think the Bears should use Forte the same way Seattle used Marshawn and Dallas used Murray.

Run him into the ground. Don't care about 'wear and tear' because he won't be with the team that much longer. Sell a shit ton of jerseys, then move on. If the players shows he can survive the punishment and even prosper he's worth keeping around.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
If the kid earns carries, then by all means give him carries. Forte has certainly earned less carries.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think the Bears should use Forte the same way Seattle used Marshawn and Dallas used Murray.

Run him into the ground. Don't care about 'wear and tear' because he won't be with the team that much longer. Sell a shit ton of jerseys, then move on. If the players shows he can survive the punishment and even prosper he's worth keeping around.

If you mean run him between the tackles all the time, he isn't the wrecking ball type of back Lynch is, and we don't have the OL Dallas does. Historically he's actually far better than a lot of people realize between the tackles. He's a great one cut runner and his vision is excellent. In a zone blocking scheme with decent line play he's still a really good ball carrier. And obviously he's always been one of the best runners outside the tackles, but you don't want to just run him up the gut all day to move bodies.

If you mean using him as much as you want in terms of touches, they've been doing that throughout his career.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Langford won't see the field this season unless Forte gets hurt.. Fox used committee due to all his RBs either staying injured or sucking.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Forte probably isn't coming back on the last year of his contract, it's hard to justify to paying Forte $8M a year at his age.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Forte probably isn't coming back on the last year of his contract, it's hard to justify to paying Forte $8M a year at his age.

If he did re-sign it would likely be for far less money. By the end of the season he'll be 30 and nobody is paying him that elsewhere. If he's still the same player by the end of 2015 I could see them bringing him back on a modest 2 year deal to share work with Langford.

BearDen

High Ranking Member
Liked Posts:
Langford won't see the field this season unless Forte gets hurt.. Fox used committee due to all his RBs either staying injured or sucking.

Tell that to every team that Fox has ever coached.

twtw

Liked Posts:
Just as long as he earns those carries, and isn't just handed the opportunity because the team drafted him.

Don't want this to become another Benson/TJ situation.

I'm sorry but I've had it with Bears fans and this shit. Benson's and TJ's stats from the 2006 season were virtually identical (6 TDs, 4.1 YPC). They were a tremendously effective running back duo. Sure Benson had a rough year in 07, but the Bears don't get to the Super Bowl in 2006 without Benson. Benson was a pro-bowl caliber talent when he played for Cincy with a capable QB and legitimate NFL offensive line. He's no more of a bust than any other NFL RB that produces 3-4 high quality seasons (probably the league average these days).

And while TJ would occasionally gash defenses for a big run, 3 out of 4 times he would get tackled for a loss or minimal gain because he would be prancing around the line of scrimmage waiting for the perfect crease. Benson was much more efficient, and was able to produce more manageable 2nd and 3rd down situations.

Ultimately, RB is the most disposable position in the NFL. Unless it's Peterson or Lynch back there, any team giving a hefty contract to a RB over 30 deserves whatever salary cap hell is coming their way.

BearDen

High Ranking Member
Liked Posts:
I'm sorry but I've had it with Bears fans and this shit. Benson's and TJ's stats from the 2006 season were virtually identical (6 TDs, 4.1 YPC). They were a tremendously effective running back duo. Sure Benson had a rough year in 07, but the Bears don't get to the Super Bowl in 2006 without Benson. Benson was a pro-bowl caliber talent when he played for Cincy with a capable QB and legitimate NFL offensive line. He's no more of a bust than any other NFL RB that produces 3-4 high quality seasons (probably the league average these days).

And while TJ would occasionally gash defenses for a big run, 3 out of 4 times he would get tackled for a loss or minimal gain because he would be prancing around the line of scrimmage waiting for the perfect crease. Benson was much more efficient, and was able to produce more manageable 2nd and 3rd down situations.

Ultimately, RB is the most disposable position in the NFL. Unless it's Peterson or Lynch back there, any team giving a hefty contract to a RB over 30 deserves whatever salary cap hell is coming their way.

Hi Cedric Benson.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
You draft a RB that high you have to give him carries. Especially if he's backing up a 30 year old running back coming up on the last year of his contract. You have to see what he has and if you can move forward with him.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
Sure Benson had a rough year in 07, but the Bears don't get to the Super Bowl in 2006 without Benson

^^^

Holy fucking hell....

No really.

Someone actually wrote this...

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think one of my testicles is bigger than the other one.

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights
That usually means you have a hydrocele.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

You think that Forte is the only back that will get touches unless he is hurt?

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

There is always a glimmer of hope that Forte will recognize the risk in his age and sign a 3 year extension that is favorable to the bears. And I'm holding onto it dammit.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Here's a (not so) bold prediction: Forte will continue to distinguish himself as one of the best backs in the league.

As far as our other running backs, I still think Carey has a better chance at a good career than Langford. He had one of the best yards per carry among rookie running backs last year and looked to be more than capable both speed-wise and physically.

Langford has plenty of potential too, but let's not forget the good backup RB that was already on the roster before Langford's name got called.