Jay Cutler lacks poise, is inconsistent, needs to be accountable, Angelo says

AussieBear

Phuck JA, he traded for the man.. it's like i tell my wife, you married me... get over it

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Yeah, but I think there is a bit more truth to that statement by JA then we give him credit for. A QB can do a lot to make WRs and even OL look better than they are.

is angelo really the one to be offering such an opinion at this point? I think he could take a page from emery's book and just STFU. I mean, Occam's Razor, 20/20 hindsight, etc. Angelo is almost single-handedly responsible for launching Cutler to Grossmanesque proportions of ridicule (as is Cutler himself, of course), and Cutler hasn't had excuses since 2012 in terms of a "passable" o-line, but I said it when he got traded (someone desp me up and look this up), I said he was going to get David Carr-ed into mediocrity here at the time of the trade.

RisWell

Liked Posts:
Cutler sucks and those who still rides his %#!÷% will be reminded of that in a few weeks.

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
is angelo really the one to be offering such an opinion at this point?

admitting to being wrong or mistaken is so rare that I can't fault someone for doing it. Yeah, it would have been better not to screw up in the first place, and yeah it is easy to admit to it now since he's already been fired and disgraced. But a lot of people would still be riding the excuse train.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
admitting to being wrong or mistaken is so rare that I can't fault someone for doing it. Yeah, it would have been better not to screw up in the first place, and yeah it is easy to admit to it now since he's already been fired and disgraced. But a lot of people would still be riding the excuse train.

could you point out to me where he admitted wrong in lieu of getting paid to write an article for the hatertrain?

I follow angelo's post-career articles with a bit of schadenfreude because he never openly discusses his own trainwreck decisions, just offers gems from a maverick in his twilight. If he ever said "wow, I fucked up on that one", I would take note, too.

BOOGIEMAN

Liked Posts:
I don't blame Angelo for making the trade. Cutler was young, had the potential to grow, and all the tools to be elite. Orton didn't have the same ceiling, and you don't often get a shot at landing somebody with Cutler's potential. It didn't turn out the way we wanted, and that's a bitter pill to swallow. But in that situation I would have made the trade too, every time.

Ditto. I was stoked and shocked when we got cutler. I would not have given him the current contract. It's like having to swallow the bitter pill with a cat piss chaser.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't blame Angelo for making the trade.

Fuck that...I do. I did in 2009.

Nothing at receiver and a OL that was falling apart the previous two seasons. Obviously the answer was to trade a ton of picks for another quarterback who had not done anything in this league yet.

I still don't know how Lovie got on board...he was pretty desperate for his long lost pass rush too.

Colonel_Buendia

Liked Posts:
Yeah but as Aquineas said why bring someone in with Michael Angelo skills and give him crayons and broken paint brushes to work with. Cutler may or may not have ever been a great long term QB, but when your GM says the QB makes the receiver and gives him, Hester as a #1 and Webb to protect your blind side... Holy Fuck.

no argument here. JA basically said "okay i got a QB, offense fixed." it needed a LOT more attention than that, poor roster building and poor coaching both attributed to Cutler's poor development and performance.

Ej63090

Anti-Exultant Cruise Dire
Liked Posts:
I think another issue is that we have dealt with GB quarterbacks being HOF level for 23 years which gives us an unfair view of quarterbacks. Especially being in an era of Brady, Rodgers, Brees, manning. I would even throw Big Ben in that group. Cutler is not a bad quarterback. We never had a team good enough to carry him to a Super Bowl win. 3 teams have won a Super Bowl with quarterbacks not named above in the last 14 sb, all with historic defenses. Put cutler on the Bears last super bowl team and chances are they win.

I'd be fine with letting him go next year. I'd even be fine with drafting someone and letting him stick for a year or two to develop. I'd say his pay will be on par with performance by then.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
is angelo really the one to be offering such an opinion at this point? I think he could take a page from emery's book and just STFU. I mean, Occam's Razor, 20/20 hindsight, etc. Angelo is almost single-handedly responsible for launching Cutler to Grossmanesque proportions of ridicule (as is Cutler himself, of course), and Cutler hasn't had excuses since 2012 in terms of a "passable" o-line, but I said it when he got traded (someone desp me up and look this up), I said he was going to get David Carr-ed into mediocrity here at the time of the trade.

Ole did say Cutler was the next Carr and unfortunately he was right

Last edited:

Colonel_Buendia

Liked Posts:
Fuck that...I do. I did in 2009.

Nothing at receiver and a OL that was falling apart the previous two seasons. Obviously the answer was to trade a ton of picks for another quarterback who had not done anything in this league yet.

I still don't know how Lovie got on board...he was pretty desperate for his long lost pass rush too.

That's a revisionist history. Rodgers' first year starting v. Cutler's second:

YearTeamGGSCompAttPctYdsAvgTDIntSckSckYRateAttYdsAvgTDFumLost
2008Packers161634153663.64,0387.528133423193.8562073.74103
2008Broncos161638461662.34,5267.32518116986.0572003.5252

Colonel_Buendia

Liked Posts:

pretty much. 38 sacks in his two years starting for the broncos. 87 sacks in his first two with the bears.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
That's a revisionist history. Rodgers' first year starting v. Cutler's second:

YearTeamGGSCompAttPctYdsAvgTDIntSckSckYRateAttYdsAvgTDFumLost
2008Packers161634153663.64,0387.528133423193.8562073.74103
2008Broncos161638461662.34,5267.32518116986.0572003.5252
What does that have to do with my post?

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
http://chicago.suntimes.com/bears-f...se-inconsistent-needs-accountable-angelo-says

WRITTEN BY RICK MORRISSEY POSTED: 08/19/2015, 03:20PM

cutler before reading:

P1CUTLER-CST-032515_52781212.jpg

cutler after reading:

:shibe:

Jerry Angelo deserves some credit. Too many NFL personnel people are reluctant to fully admit mistakes, even years after their blunders.

Not so with Angelo, the former Bears general manager who traded Kyle Orton, two first-round draft picks and a third-round choice to Denver for Jay Cutler in 2009.

Angelo ranks Cutler 21st among NFL quarterbacks in garysheltonsports.com. Here’s what he has to say about Jay the Coach and GM Slayer:

“Has the physical tools, but inconsistent, particularly in the clutch, mostly due to a lack of poise. He’s not comfortable reading defenses and consequently locks on to a favorite or predetermined target that may or may not be the right choice. The less he’s asked to see the better he is. A better half-field general than a full-field one. This will be his make-or-break year. Needs to be his biggest critic and hold himself accountable.’’

These are some of the same things we’ve been saying about Cutler since Angelo traded for him. Inconsistent? Check. Locks on to a favorite target? Hello, Brandon Marshall. Needs to hold himself accountable? Yes, please.

The Bears might be in a different place today if Angelo hadn’t decided Cutler was an elite quarterback six years ago. And they’d be in a better place if Angelo’s replacement, Phil Emery, hadn’t given Cutler a seven-year, $126 million contract extension, with $54 million guaranteed.

But it’s nice to know that somebody deeply involved in this mess is saying that our eyes haven’t been deceiving us all these years.

Jerry Angelo deserves some credit. Too many NFL personnel people are reluctant to fully admit mistakes, even years after their blunders.

enuff said

cjswan232482

Liked Posts:
Peyton Manning, Brees an only one ringd RRodgerse have failed to reach the Super Bowl with much better supporting casts than Cutler has had. Let's be real. For all of their greatness, only one ring for each.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Yeah, but I think there is a bit more truth to that statement by JA then we give him credit for. A QB can do a lot to make WRs and even OL look better than they are.

There's a threshold for that though. Can't make chicken shit look like chicken salad. The WRs, we can argue, but that OL was one of the worst I've ever seen, and definitely worst I've ever seen on the Bears.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Angelo should not be crucified for making the trade, the Bears inability to draft and develop their own QB demanded it.

But Angelo and Lovie treated Jay like an elite QB when he got here, they coddled him and didn't hold him accountable. He didn't develop because they allowed him not to.

JD was saying the biggest change is that this regime is treating Cutler like a replaceable QB.