Predict the Bears record

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
Do you see the worst defense in the league like last year? Because I don't and that's what they'll have to be to be a terrible team.

I refuse to use the preseason as a prognosticators for how things will go this year though. I mean, this same defense shut down Luck in the 2nd preseason game. So what gives here?

I'm still sticking with 9-7.

Yes, I do. I make this claim based on a) the lack of overall talent, b) the lack of any difference makers and c) the roster.

Seriously, who on that defense gets you excited? We assumed they'd be bad. We've seen them be bad.

And you are REALLY going to base anything on 'shutting down Luck' in a 2 series meaningless pre-season game?

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
Have you seen Pittsburgh's defense? They literally look worse than use through 3 preseason games. Green Bay's not much better. They have Rodgers though so I can't put them anywhere else until he actually takes a step back.

Teams have to play in their divisions. 6 of the 16 games are against divisional opponents. Pittsburgh is in a weak division.

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
Possibly, but their struggles were because our Front 7 killed their OL. I'd say we dictated a lot of that.

No, it was McPhee destroying their RT in one on one matches. Smart teams fix that.

Indy is one of the most prolific offenses in the league. I'd take the Indy offense over the Bears defense any day of the week.

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
M

If you had said they are weak on oline and that could affect the running game, I could have a conversation with that. But to say they are weak at RB, that is not very good or accurate info.

Who in that division do you see knocking them down?

SD is always an also ran. Maybe it's their time?

Oakland could possibly be better. Depends on Carr.

Who knows man - every year there are 5 of the prior 12 that don't make it. Just happens. Has to be someone. I picked the one with the so so running game (Anderson and Ball), the new coaching staff and the 39 year old QB who was injured and looking terrible at the end of last season.

Has to be someone right?

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
Think you're heavily overrating the Eagles.

I'm not.

Look at the teams in the NFC. Who are the best? Can't just be GB and Seattle every year. Someone has to rise. Their division will be weak. Giants will be the goofy lose 6, win 4 in a row Giants. Skins will battle the Bears for worst record in the NFC. Cowboys will drop off with injuries, suspensions and some talent losses. SF will be terrible. Ari comes back down to Earth. Rams make a surge. No one in the NFC south excites me.

So, I had to pick two teams from the NFC. Could have gone GB and Seattle, but that would be just too damn obvious. I had GB as the best team in the league two weeks ago, but the injury bug will really change that. SEA has to drop off eventually and they have some injuries and weird contract crap.

The more I think about it, the NFC looks weak this year.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
When has the NFL ever been chalk? Every year teams disappoint, surprise, have injuries, get lucky, etc. New player step up and become stars, past stars decline for no reason whatsoever. So why talk like everything is a given and everyone should know exactly what will happen?

Certain people think this team will suck and go 3-13. Others think it will be average and go 8-8. People have their opinions. No one is delusional thinking this is a superbowl team. So let everyone have their opinions. It means nothing because the results are going to happen and what people say now means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I'm not.

Look at the teams in the NFC. Who are the best? Can't just be GB and Seattle every year. Someone has to rise. Their division will be weak. Giants will be the goofy lose 6, win 4 in a row Giants. Skins will battle the Bears for worst record in the NFC. Cowboys will drop off with injuries, suspensions and some talent losses. SF will be terrible. Ari comes back down to Earth. Rams make a surge. No one in the NFC south excites me.

So, I had to pick two teams from the NFC. Could have gone GB and Seattle, but that would be just too damn obvious. I had GB as the best team in the league two weeks ago, but the injury bug will really change that. SEA has to drop off eventually and they have some injuries and weird contract crap.

The more I think about it, the NFC looks weak this year.

If the Eagles make the playoffs, I don't see them winning on the road, which they will have to do because Dallas is winning that division.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
SD is always an also ran. Maybe it's their time?

Oakland could possibly be better. Depends on Carr.

Who knows man - every year there are 5 of the prior 12 that don't make it. Just happens. Has to be someone. I picked the one with the so so running game (Anderson and Ball), the new coaching staff and the 39 year old QB who was injured and looking terrible at the end of last season.

Has to be someone right?

Lol, not at all, I just like to hear someone's opposing view and you do it like an adult, thanks.

GSH_34

Liked Posts:
No, it was McPhee destroying their RT in one on one matches. Smart teams fix that.

Indy is one of the most prolific offenses in the league. I'd take the Indy offense over the Bears defense any day of the week.
Well yeah, Indy is a much better offense than we are a defense, but we still stymied them for 2 Quarters.

That's encouraging, no?

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've gone from 8-8- to 6-10 (losing White, and other injuries that will probably linger) to thinking it might be 4-12. Top five pick, I think. We are going to have some good games, flashes of greatness here and there, but we'll lose a lot of close games, and even against "bad teams" we're going to struggle. SO MANY HOLES on this team.

GSH_34

Liked Posts:
Yes, I do. I make this claim based on a) the lack of overall talent, b) the lack of any difference makers and c) the roster.

Seriously, who on that defense gets you excited? We assumed they'd be bad. We've seen them be bad.

And you are REALLY going to base anything on 'shutting down Luck' in a 2 series meaningless pre-season game?
For the same reason people are freaking out at how they played against Miami and Cincinnati with a vanilla defense.

There are some things to like. There are also some things to dislike.

The defense is not void of talent, especially with the front 7. I'm putting my faith in these guys being fundamentally sound and well coach as to why they won't be the worst defense in the NFL.

You don't have to have Pro Bowlers to be a solid defense in the 15-20 range, which I do think is attainable.

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
Well yeah, Indy is a much better offense than we are a defense, but we still stymied them for 2 Quarters.

That's encouraging, no?

Pre-season? Nope. I take nothing from that. Teams are trying not to get their starters hurt, doing nothing resembling a normal playbook and oh, trying not to get their starters hurt.

Means nothing.

GSH_34

Liked Posts:
Pre-season? Nope. I take nothing from that. Teams are trying not to get their starters hurt, doing nothing resembling a normal playbook and oh, trying not to get their starters hurt.

Means nothing.

So the performance against Miami and Cincinnati have no weight in how you project the Bears' roster and record this year, right?

Also, couldn't it be said that the Bears had no scheme and were trying to preserve their players?

1000ftditka!

Throbbing
Liked Posts:
Civilization, also known as Massachusetts
4 -12 Still vomiting from Saturday evenings debacle in Cincinnati. Gonna need to drink a whole lot more Koolaide......and some sedatives.....

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
For the same reason people are freaking out at how they played against Miami and Cincinnati with a vanilla defense.

There are some things to like. There are also some things to dislike.

The defense is not void of talent, especially with the front 7. I'm putting my faith in these guys being fundamentally sound and well coach as to why they won't be the worst defense in the NFL.

You don't have to have Pro Bowlers to be a solid defense in the 15-20 range, which I do think is attainable.

Not freaking out about vanilla - freaking out about a lack of talent and making football plays.

Seriously, who are the front 7 that you like? Outside of Jared Allen (who is 170 years old, playing a new position and bad), no one around the NFL can even name a guy on the Bears front 7.

If we look at the PPG as the defensive stat that matters (not, YPG), Bears were 31st last year with 27.6. Seattle was #1 with 16.3. Keep in mind, Bears D stats are always going to be a bit skewed because the Cutler turnovers often translate into points and terrible ST and offensive penalties translate into short fields for opposing offensives, but the stats are the stats.

So, if we look at teams 15-20 last season - Dallas, STL, Denver, Indy, Miami, Carolina.

All but one were playoff teams. ALL have big name talent/difference makers on their rosters - Dallas has Hardy, McClain. STL has Quinn, Long, Donald, Brockers. Denver has Miller, Ware, Marshall, Talib, Ward. Indy has Jackson, Cole, Toller. Miami has Wake and Suh. Carolina has Kuechly and Davis and Lotuelei.

What does you see on the Bears roster from a talent standpoint that equals those players?

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
If the Eagles make the playoffs, I don't see them winning on the road, which they will have to do because Dallas is winning that division.

How do you see that? Great offense, but the loss of a 784 carry a game back like Murray will hurt. The D is suspect with Hardy's suspension and Scandrick being out. Fortunately they get to play Wash and NYG twice.

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
So the performance against Miami and Cincinnati have no weight in how you project the Bears' roster and record this year, right?

Also, couldn't it be said that the Bears had no scheme and were trying to preserve their players?

The performance against Cinci was telling. That was starters against starters for two quarters. Most of which against a scrub (McCarron).

If I take anything away from a pre-season game, is the first half of the 3rd game because of starters against starters. What I saw was bad. Couple that with the Ratliff suspension and the backfield depth issues = not good.

It's very simple - this team lacks talent as compared to other teams in the NFL and even their division. It will be ugly.