Long to T, am I missing something?

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
this is preseason.

If you're playing your best dudes every first team rep you should be fired.

The point of preseason is to evaluate not only your best guys but the guys behind them and the guys that may or may not make the roster.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Sorry about that. Should've clarified better.

I really don't like the sound of selecting a tackle in the second this year though. I would only take one if either Conklin, Ifedi, or Decker were available by then. But hey, anything can happen.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

My perfect world

1. QB
2. OT

Then spam the defense with the remaining picks and money.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
What else does the staff need to see from that waste of space Mills to make the move? You can not have an effective offense if you have an open door for the left defensive end to walk through. Am I the only one thinking this?

Hell yes. There are no doubt great and valuable NFL guards. But tackle is the most important position on the line and the truth is that it's easier to find a guard than a tackle.

How many times do offensive lineman get moved around in thier career? All the time. Kyle Long has the right body type, athleticism, and mentality to play any position on the line. He's an outlier and it's time to see how far he can go.

I get it. We finally have somebody good on the line and some of us don't want to "ruin" it. Come on Bears fans...use your head! If Mills could hold it down then great, but he cant. I was as big a Jordan Mills supporter than anyone. Since he and the RT position are struggling so bad, now is the time to make a move.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
We will not make the playoffs this year. Let him learn the position.

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
What you're missing is the three best players on the OL other than the starters are the OTs. There isn't a decent RG on the team so if Long struggles at RT you've compounded the problem by creating two weaknesses where you have just one.

So many have been anxious to move Long to OT, but if you've actually seen him try OT you'll realize how bad he is. Long despite his NFL Combine success is not an OT type of athlete. Long does bend well, he doesn't kick slide well, he doesn't work his way out to the edge in pass protection well as an OT needs to do.

The idea that Long can play tackle because he's 6-6 and runs a fast 40 and jumps really high in the vertical and broad jump doesn't mean that skill automatically translates well to him playing OT.

I have no idea why this simple fundamental gets lost with so many people on is board but it does, just because Long performed well at the combine and is tall doesn't mean he is the same type of OT athlete as Tyron Smith.

Butterball Webb was so much better at all these things. Glad you saw those traits in him.

Webb's kick slide >>>>>>

Jester

White Guy
Liked Posts:
Hell yes. There are no doubt great and valuable NFL guards. But tackle is the most important position on the line and the truth is that it's easier to find a guard than a tackle.

How many times do offensive lineman get moved around in thier career? All the time. Kyle Long has the right body type, athleticism, and mentality to play any position on the line. He's an outlier and it's time to see how far he can go.

I get it. We finally have somebody good on the line and some of us don't want to "ruin" it. Come on Bears fans...use your head! If Mills could hold it down then great, but he cant. I was as big a Jordan Mills supporter than anyone. Since he and the RT position are struggling so bad, now is the time to make a move.

Can always count on DeepChicago for rational and logical thought. Thank You !

Reactions: DC

Whateverest

So you want to take the pressure off Jay from the edge and then have pressure up the middle, because there is no one of class of Long ready to fill the void. It's bad enough watching Cutler panic when he does have time, taking Long out of there now would be insane considering the Bears don't have the luxury of depth on the line right now.

The interior of the line looks solid including Montgomery being in there At least at tackle you could give the tackle help in the form of a running back to chip or a TE on that side of the line (if need be) Not denying Longs talent and most likely his ability to become tackle, but with three Pre season games before they open up with the Packers, now is not the time.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What else does the staff need to see from that waste of space Mills to make the move? You can not have an effective offense if you have an open door for the left defensive end to walk through. Am I the only one thinking this?

Yes. Yes, I think you are missing something.

Yeah he is, about 15 other past threads suggesting the same thing.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
What you're missing is the three best players on the OL other than the starters are the OTs. There isn't a decent RG on the team so if Long struggles at RT you've compounded the problem by creating two weaknesses where you have just one.

So many have been anxious to move Long to OT, but if you've actually seen him try OT you'll realize how bad he is. Long despite his NFL Combine success is not an OT type of athlete. Long does bend well, he doesn't kick slide well, he doesn't work his way out to the edge in pass protection well as an OT needs to do.

The idea that Long can play tackle because he's 6-6 and runs a fast 40 and jumps really high in the vertical and broad jump doesn't mean that skill automatically translates well to him playing OT.

I have no idea why this simple fundamental gets lost with so many people on is board but it does, just because Long performed well at the combine and is tall doesn't mean he is the same type of OT athlete as Tyron Smith.

Crazy thought.

Long is an All Pro OG

Maybe he wouldn't be an All Pro OT?

Why turn your greatest strength into an okay player.

Both of you shut ur dirty whore mouths.... okay? We as fans know where the players belong.... Long at OT.... Tillman at FS.... Robbie Gould at P.... If the coaches would just listen to us fans, we would have won a hundred Super Bowls by now.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
My guess is that they are unsure that the unit overall will be better. Sure he's an improvement at RT, but will he be as much of an improvement as whomever plays guard will be a downgrade?

I'm thinking right now they know what they have in Long at guard and are happy with that. There maybe an area where he can jump over and help, but you can't ensure he'll be as good when moved to tackle and that you aren't just opening up a hole at guard.

OnemanWolfpack

Liked Posts:
The offensive line is fine. Mills is an issue, but that can be solved either by implementing Ola, or by keeping Bennett/Forte on the right side for extra protection.

If you have to do that every time then you are taking a lot of options away from the offense. It will solve the problem of Cutler getting sacked from the right before he can complete a 5 step drop but it will take 1 option out of the passing game and allow an extra double team

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Crazy thought.

Long is an All Pro OG

Same reason people thought Hester was a #1 WR. Every fan base does this and its called reaching out of frustration. Few teams don't have at least one weak(er) player on the OL. At least with Mills the Bears have an PB right guard.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Crazy thought.

Long is an All Pro OG

Same reason people thought Hester was a #1 WR. Every fan base does this and its called reaching out of frustration. Few teams don't have at least one weak(er) player on the OL. At least with Mills the Bears have an PB right guard playing next to him.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Would Evan Mathis help this situation in any way? or just make it more stupid because he is a guard as well.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

This is stupid and quit acting like you know more than you really do about what positions a guy can play on a oline. Long is a great football player and would be just fine at RT after some practice/game time there. I have absolutely no doubts about him being a good/great tackle.

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:
My guess is that they are unsure that the unit overall will be better. Sure he's an improvement at RT, but will he be as much of an improvement as whomever plays guard will be a downgrade?

I'm thinking right now they know what they have in Long at guard and are happy with that. There maybe an area where he can jump over and help, but you can't ensure he'll be as good when moved to tackle and that you aren't just opening up a hole at guard.

Pegger, serious question here: How much dumber are Bears fans than Eagles fans?