dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Sorry about that. Should've clarified better.

I really don't like the sound of selecting a tackle in the second this year though. I would only take one if either Conklin, Ifedi, or Decker were available by then. But hey, anything can happen.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

So you already have you're draft grades set on players who haven't even started their season yet?? I can promise that there will be players that you probably haven't even heard of yet with draft grades in the 1st in 2nd rounds after the college season.

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:
If you have to do that every time then you are taking a lot of options away from the offense. It will solve the problem of Cutler getting sacked from the right before he can complete a 5 step drop but it will take 1 option out of the passing game and allow an extra double team

Okay so what's your solution? Move Long to RT and then have pressure coming from up the middle? No other player on this team does better at his respective position than Kyle Long. As DeepChicago just stated, we're probably not making the playoffs this year. Let Long continue to make probowls at RG, and draft a tackle early next year.

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
Would Evan Mathis help this situation in any way? or just make it more stupid because he is a guard as well.
Mathis is better suited as a left guard which we already have one in Slauson.

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
My perfect world

1. QB
2. OT

Then spam the defense with the remaining picks and money.
If we had a high draft pick, would you be fine with the Bears drafting another corner in Hargreaves III even though we have Fuller?

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
Bold prediction: If the Bears don't take a quarterback in the first round next year, they're taking an offensive tackle.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Pegger, serious question here: How much dumber are Bears fans than Eagles fans?
The more I learn about all football fans the more I realize we are all the same. Every team has three distincts groups:

Meatballs - Have strong, poorly thought out opinions
Fair Weather - Here for the good, gone in the bad
Meatball Eaters - Generally have well thought out opinions and are typically pretty cool with learning new things from others

The main between difference is the weightings of each group, but on any given day you can be Meatballed by any specific team, so it's almost a moot point.

I'd also say some demographics and regional uniqueness changes the appearance, temperment and actions of the underlying Meatball group. For example, in Chicago if the team sucked and the ownership sent out someone dressed in a Santa costume you'd probably go get a beer/Polish sausage, but in Philly he got booed and sprayed with snowballs. That's not how all fans act, but more the demographic uniqueness to a specific area. Here's a good article that recalls how the snowball incident came to be and what were some of the factors leading up to it. Short, decent read.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Bold prediction: If the Bears don't take a quarterback in the first round next year, they're taking an offensive tackle.

Bold BBQ sauce prediction from Pegger - The Bears will draft a player next year. To provide a bit more detail they will be drafting a football player... Stay tuned on for more on this breaking story...

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Mathis is better suited as a left guard which we already have one in Slauson.

Mathis is also pretty system specific. He somewhat bounced around the league for a 7 years until he started taking his physical fitness seriously and found a zone scheme that ended up really working for him. I'd add he's spent all of his 'successful' NFL seasons next to Jason Peters, who some feel is a first ballot HOFer.

The reason for his cutting was not that he's a bad player, but just not worth the money. He was due to make $5.5M this year and $6M next. He was missing OTAs in hopes to get an extra $1M per season and that gave the Eagles reason to walk away. He's going to end up signing either a $2M/year 'prove it' type deal or maybe make $3M a season for the next 3 seasons. Overall he's finding out the hard way that he was misinformed by his agent and his market value is far less than what the Eagles were paying him.

Last note on him - He called into a Philly talk show shortly after being cut. He actually seemed really bummed that he wasn't going to be an Eagle and he made it sound like he'd be open to coming back to the Eagles at a lower price. Not sure if the Eagles are interested and I think they have moved on at guard, but overall he just sounded like a guy that realized that he fucked up a good thing in that he liked the culture, fit the scheme and was being paid relatively well.

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Hahaha.
Cutler, Leno, and Ola play awesome and we select a
CORNERBACK in the 1st

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
This is stupid and quit acting like you know more than you really do about what positions a guy can play on a oline. Long is a great football player and would be just fine at RT after some practice/game time there. I have absolutely no doubts about him being a good/great tackle.

Why did Long play LT for one game in college and then get shifted inside to guard?

So why then when Aaron Kromer was coaching Long and he took snaps at RT as a rookie did it last all of two practices before he was permanently moved to RG.

Why did Long spend practice time at RT this year from mini-camp to OTAs and now he's back at RG behind with three others vying for the RT spot, Mills, Ola and Leno?

Why is it that every time Long is tried at OT he is immediately moved back to guard.

Why is it that the only sign he ever showed he could be a tackle in the NFL was based on his performance at the NFL Combine?

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
Goddammit you don't move a guy from a position where he is pro bowl caliber and showing signs of becoming one of the very best at his position...you draft talent to put beside him.

jesus

henry-viii-throwing-a-fit-o.gif

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You are absolutely right! It's much easier to find a serviceable guard than a tackle and I'm 100% confident that Long would be a very good if not pro bowl right tackle! The impact of him at right tackle would be far greater than having him playing guard! It's a complete head scratcher!!!!!!!!

I think that you are correct. I also wonder if they could move Grasu to guard?

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
We all know Bushrod is most likely getting cut after this season so the Bears will have to look in house, in free agency, and in the draft to find his replacement.

There is Kyle Long as a potential option, but I think he stays at right guard for the foreseeable future. In free agency, there could be some interesting options available at the position if their respective teams don't resign them like:

• Trent Williams
  • Nate Solder
  • Anthony Castonzo
  • Russell Okung
  • Andrew Whitworth
  • Donald Penn
  • Kelvin Beachum
  • Cordy Glenn
In the draft, Ronnie Stanley and Laremy Tunsil could be available if they declare.

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
We would have never had this issue at right tackle had the previous regime picked Ricky Wagner instead of Jordan Mills.