Charles Leno practicing with 1st string offense

buckaroo2311

Liked Posts:
Not sure if posted. About time.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/7/71/894586/tackle-charles-leno-practices-bears-1-offense

INDIANAPOLIS – Second-year offensive tackle Charles Leno Jr.’s strong training camp has earned him a big opportunity.

Leno worked with the Bears’ first-team offense during the second of two joint practices with the Colts on Thursday at the Indiana Farm Bureau Football Center.

Jordan Mills, who has started 29 games over the previous two seasons, worked with the second team before leaving late with a calf injury.

Coach John Fox wouldn’t commit to starting Leno against the Colts in their preseason game on Saturday night, saying he needed to speak to his staff. Mills’ injury will be factor, but Leno also has impressed the Bears’ coaches throughout camp.

“[Leno has] been playing with the two’s all camp, and he’s been performing well,” Fox said.

Leno, a seventh-round pick in 2014, has earned the support of offensive line coach Dave Magazu because of his versatility. Earlier in camp, Leno played in place of left tackle Jermon Bushrod, who had been limited by a back injury.

“Love Charles,” Magazu said at Olivet Nazarene University. “He’s done a great job. He’s working his butt off. He’s played every position along the offensive line in this camp. I think he has a ton of ability and he’s going to be a good football player here.”

Follow me on Twitter @adamjahns
Email: ajahns@suntimes.com

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Remember that time Phil Emery rebuilt and fixed the offensive line in one off-season?

buckaroo2311

Liked Posts:
This from WGNradio.com

1. Charles Leno Jr. was bumped up to the starting offensive line, and not just because Jordan Mills got hurt. Mills suffered a calf injury Thursday, but before he left practice, he was working with the second unit while Leno saw time with the starters.

“(Leno) has been playing with the twos all camp, performing well, and when Jordan Mills went out, he was the logical guy to stick there,” Fox said.

But Leno was stuck there before Mills went out, which makes the right tackle situation very interesting to watch Saturday night. Mills might not play because of the calf injury, but even if he does, it’s possible Leno starts the game. And if Mills doesn’t play, it will still be a huge opportunity for Leno — a seventh round draft pick out of Boise State in 2014 — because Mills has struggled at the position this preseason.

Wintermute

Liked Posts:
I think the real question is how long has Pace known about his calf, and why hasn't he held a press conference to explain the details.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I think the real question is how long has Pace known about his calf, and why hasn't he held a press conference to explain the details.
Yes I am appalled. I have the God given right to be told every detail of his health history,HIPPA be damned!!!! I mean I pay for the Bears product. They owe me!!!!

God, Guns, and 'merica

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
The one thing I really like about Mills is his mean streak. Is Leno mean? It's good to have mean guys on the line.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Meh. I know people get excited about Mills being replaced, but ultimatlely he might still be the best option on this roster.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I thought Leno played well in the pre-season last year. Late in the year, he took over the Britton role as the "blocking TE" and held up reasonably for a rookie. I'm interested to see what he can do. Mills opened this door with penalties and less than average play.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
What do you get when you cross Jay Cutler with Charles Leno?

Jay Leno :smug2:

Thought for sure you would have gone for Chuck Cutler.

chuck_cutler_mug_0.jpg