IST: Cubs at Giants

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Huge series here fellas. We could almost crush the Giants playoff hopes with this series. They have a tough stretch. They aren't completely healthy and they are a very up and down team. I would assume they are going to play this series like a playoff series. They know they need it. Cubs have to bring their A game. No better way to start it off then with our ace.

Game 1: Jake Arrieta vs. Matt Cain

Game 2: Hendricks vs. Peavy

Game 3: Haren vs. Bumgarner

We need to take game 1. Game 2 is a toss up and Game 3 heavily favors Giants.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
We need to take game 1. Game 2 is a toss up and Game 3 heavily favors Giants.

I absolutely agree with the need to win tonight and your assessment of the series. 2 wins in SF essentially puts the Giants away or at least makes their task of catching the Cubs pretty monumental. Of course a sweep would be a beautiful thing but with Bumgarner facing Haren on Wednesday I think that's unlikely.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
I absolutely agree with the need to win tonight and your assessment of the series. 2 wins in SF essentially puts the Giants away or at least makes their task of catching the Cubs pretty monumental. Of course a sweep would be a beautiful thing but with Bumgarner facing Haren on Wednesday I think that's unlikely.

The Giants task is not to catch the Cubs, but to catch the Dodgers. While they naturally would want to beat the Cubs and pick up ground, they stand a better chance of beating the Dodgers as they play them a lot more, and they will start to get healthy soon.

Like I said. Just take one game for sure in each series in both SF and LA.

The Giants won't sweep the Cardinals following the Cubs, so it will be hard to gain ground if the Cubs do what I said.

aleclere1044

Liked Posts:
Having Jake on the bump tonight is huge! He is our momentum setter!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The Giants task is not to catch the Cubs, but to catch the Dodgers. While they naturally would want to beat the Cubs and pick up ground, they stand a better chance of beating the Dodgers as they play them a lot more, and they will start to get healthy soon.

The Giants won't sweep the Cardinals following the Cubs, so it will be hard to gain ground if the Cubs do what I said.

It's all a matter of how you look at it. To the Giants, it's a chance to gain immediate ground.....to the Cubs it's a chance to drive nails into a coffin. I don't think the Cubs will be happy with one or none although as fans, we could live with one.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:

At this time of the year everyone's task is to get into the playoffs. If the Cubs sweep the Giants one path for that is essentially closed (although not mathematically). That would lead to them having to catch the Dodgers and win the Division to get in. I hate the current rules of the playoffs because the Prates and Cubs are the second and 3rd best teams in the NL and yet one of them will get shut out of a series in a one and done. The teams should be reseeded at playoff time, but I digress. The Cubs job here is really to bury the Giants in the WC race and more generally to keep on winning games. It's not likely that they're going to repeat they're 21-5 clip that they're on right now so any distnace they put between themselves and another team is huge. Also any ground they make up on the Pirates is huge. The goal is the playoffs for all these teams.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
We can pretty much put the Giants away in this series. And then just hope the Cards and Bucs will start losing somewhere.

Why does our rotation always end up with Haren going against the other teams ace? That's not fair and almost a guaranteed loss each time.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Amazing how the team was on a 3 game tail spin and Jake stopped the fall in dominance. Now they are on a 5 game run using the momentum Jake gave them.

If there is any question if he is a staff leader you have to check your self. Lester is getting the cash but he has not taken control of the staff like Jake has.

That said Cain was that guy before so don't underestimate him. Still with the fire power going on with the team they should steam roll the Giants.

CRM 114

Premium Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Harren vs Bumgarner? You can pretty much check that one off as a loss. We should win tonight, though. Game 2 is the dealbreaker.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Wow....7 pitches...very unCublike.

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:
I'm not going to enjoy that Bumgarner vs Haren game, holy mother of pearls. Hopefully we can nab the first 2 though! :buttrock:

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:
Arrieta looked sharp as fuck in the first inning

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
Gotta take this game with Arrieta on the mound!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
That crack of the bat was loud, loud, loud!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

chibears55

Liked Posts:
MONTERO! !!!!!

Monty been eating his wheaties lately with all his big blast

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls