IST: Cubs at Giants

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
OK, it's not quite "necessary" but it would be really nice and a confidence boost. I don't think it necessarily takes a full on collapse for the Cubs to be knocked out. Win 1/3 enough times while the Giants and Dodgers win 2/3 enough times and it could be a slow burn to a disappointing ending

Conventional wisdom is that 5.5 games at this point of the season takes 5-6 weeks to overcome. There are just over 5 weeks left in the season. It would take a lot of sustained losing on the part of the Cubs and a lot of sustained winning on the part of the Giants. I'd be surprised at the sustained losing by the Cubs. Nobody should be over confident but history does serve as a guide here. Teams have accomplished this and even greater deficits but not very often.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Cubs have a tough month. Last month was cake and they beat up who they should have. Right now they are going through teams that are legit. Except the Reds.

But they have the Cards coming up also. This is a good time to measure up.

I believe they are a starter short. 2 are solid. 2 are iffy. 1 is past his time.

Adding Rodney was not the answer needed. Adding a bat to replace Soler (Baez) is. The rotation is not fixable unless Cahill just puts it together all of a sudden

willycat

Liked Posts:
Agree about the pitching but that won't be addressed until the off season. However they should bring up Baez and tonight would be the time to do it.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Cubs have a tough month. Last month was cake and they beat up who they should have. Right now they are going through teams that are legit. Except the Reds.

But they have the Cards coming up also. This is a good time to measure up.

I believe they are a starter short. 2 are solid. 2 are iffy. 1 is past his time.

Adding Rodney was not the answer needed. Adding a bat to replace Soler (Baez) is. The rotation is not fixable unless Cahill just puts it together all of a sudden

Is it any less tough for the Giants?

They faced the Cubs, now the Cardinals, and then go to LA against Greinke and Kershaw, and face them later in the year too.

They have four more later in the year against the Dodgers, plus they are still hurt. They play 14 out of the last 33 games against teams above .500, and technically, you could probably throw Arizona as an above .500 team too, and they have 6 more against them and the Padres.

Being the Cardinal hater that I am, I would much rather see the Giants get healthy and win the West, as to me, they pose a much bigger threat to the Cardinals than do the Dodgers, assuming we don't knock them off first. :smug2:

If we take care of business, it doesn't matter what the other teams do.