Martysaurus: QB Isn't Always The Leader Of The Team

Milton Waddams

Liked Posts:
http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/13513324/martellus-bennett-chicago-bears-weighs-jay-cutler-leadership

Chicago Bears tight end Martellus Bennett doesn't think Jay Cutler necessarily was a bad leader during an embarrassing 2014 season. He just doesn't think the position necessarily requires a leader.

"Why does everyone always assume the quarterback is the leader?" Bennett asked during a wide-ranging interview for a Chicago magazine article that was published Monday. "Leading the offense and leading the team are two different things.

"Sometimes I like Cutty, and sometimes I don't. When I think of a leader, I think, 'If he started a company, would guys come to work for him?' There's a lot of guys on our team who, if they started a business, it'd be, 'F--- you, I'm gonna go work at McDonald's.' "

In the article, the question was posed whether Bennett would work for Cutler. His answer was vague.

"There are veterans that people follow, and then you've got guys that lead the offense, get everyone lined up, get to your spot, do what you need to do, let's do our plays," said Bennett, who gave the interview in May, while he was holding out of offseason conditioning sessions because he wanted a new contract.

Bennett also confirmed what was widely reported about former coach Marc Trestman, saying Trestman had lost his locker room last season. Trestman, now the Baltimore Ravens' offensive coordinator, was fired after the Bears went 5-11 last season and was replaced by John Fox. The Bears went a playoff-less 8-8 in Trestman's first year in 2013.

"Trestman was a cool dude, but he lost the guys," said Bennett, who enjoyed a career year and Pro Bowl berth last season. "He tried to play both sides of the fence. Other people did a lot of s---, and I was the only one who got disciplined all year."

Former Bears receiver Brandon Marshall recently said on ESPN's First Take that he was the only one to hold Cutler accountable last season. Meanwhile, Bears running back Matt Forte responded on "The Rich Eisen Show" by saying Marshall didn't really hold himself accountable.

So it wasn't surprising that Bennett described the Bears as a team that lacked cohesiveness.

"We had lots of mellow guys," Bennett told the magazine. "You didn't see a lot of guys running to the pile, helping their teammates up, or having each other's back. We weren't a bad team. A bad team is a team that doesn't have the talent to win. We did. We just sucked. Everybody sucked. Coaches, players, everybody."

The article also detailed Bennett's interest in creative arts, including a children's book series he created and an animated feature film he is working on.

http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/September-2015/Martellus-Bennett/

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Bennett would hold out for free Big Macs at break time.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He's right and that team reflected it's head coach. Passive. If Cutler got all up in Trestmans' or Kromer's face, that would have been bitched about as well. Jay is not that rah rah guy and never will be. He's got a temper and he's controlled it. Anybody with a monkey on their back knows you can't just turn this shit on and off. If you choose change, you can't flip that switch. I wish he were a better leader but I also wish he were Aaron Rodgers. Until we can find something better, I'll deal.

Reactions: 1ke

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
"You didn't see a lot of guys running to the pile, helping their teammates up, or having each other's back. We weren't a bad team. A bad team is a team that doesn't have the talent to win. We did. We just sucked. Everybody sucked. Coaches, players, everybody."

See Brandon/Matt/Jay...that is how its done. These guys want to throw little jabs at each other while Marty B just lobs a grenade at the entire team.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't care if Cutler is a leader or not. Aaron R. never comes across as a "rah-rah" leader, either. But AR doesn't throw four f-ing picks per game-ever. He doesn't throw two picks and lose two fumbles in a game, either. If Cutler adopted Rogers' "don't give the ball away" attitude things would be much, much different. As a talking head once said, "Rogers throws the ball in three different areas: Where only his guy can catch the ball, where the opponent can't cat the ball and where no-one can catch the ball. But he never throws it where the other guy is going catch the ball". He doesn't have a great arm or the Cutler's physical ability. What he does have is good decision making, a good enough arm to make all of the throws, and is not going to take risks with the ball.

If Cutler didn't have one of the worst turn-over ratios in the league no one would be talking about his leadership or attitude. If last year he threw 28 tds (as he did last year) and 5 ints (as Rogers did last year) no one would be talking about his shortcomings. But that sadly isn't the case.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Man, when Martellus and Michael Bennett retire, they honestly need to do their own NFL talk show. That would be some entertaining stuff to watch because you know they would tell the truth.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
giphy.gif

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Man, when Martellus and Michael Bennett retire, they honestly need to do their own NFL talk show. That would be some entertaining stuff to watch because you know they would tell the truth.
NFL Network does give them a weekly segment that is a hoot.

"Bro to Bro" on NFL AM...believe they have it streaming on NFL.com.

geneatals

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
someone needs to take BMarsh's trolling ways for this team...thanks for stepping up Black Unicorn

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
NFL Network does give them a weekly segment that is a hoot.

"Bro to Bro" on NFL AM...believe they have it streaming on NFL.com.

Thanks! I used to watch NFL AM but I kinda stopped in protest when Nicole Zaloumis left. I'll have to check out the "Bro to Bro" stream.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
So, if Cutler started a business Marty would go work at McDonalds.

Okay...

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/September-2015/Martellus-Bennett/

But in the NFL, training camp is a funny thing. Some rules get enforced, others don’t. Bears players were told not to tackle each other on the practice field in Bourbonnais, 60 miles south of Chicago, but for two days Bennett got hit over and over. “I felt like guys were taking shots at me,” he says. Toward the end of the second day, after rookie cornerback Kyle Fuller pulled Bennett to the ground, the tight end jumped up and body-slammed him. Bennett was suspended and fined an undisclosed amount, which he called “a ridiculous overreaction.” No one came to his defense—but no one would question his motivation and competitiveness again, either. “It wasn’t Fuller I was mad at,” Bennett says. “He just happened to be the last guy that day that did something. I told him, ‘Man, I could be punching you in the face right now, but I’m not.’ ”

Then again, a genius probably wouldn’t throw down the gauntlet with the Soldier Field faithful by saying that the Philadelphia Eagles have the best fans in the NFL (“Those motherfuckers are crazy,” he tells me) or that Bears followers tend to be more interested in the past. “It’s ‘ ’85 Bears’ this and ‘ ’85 Bears’ that,” says Bennett. “ ‘Oh, if you had just done this or that like the ’85 Bears.’ Same with the organization. They stress the team’s history instead of the present.”

Bennett’s plan is to play three to five more years, then retire with enough money and connections to make animated films for the rest of his life. That’s the dream. He sees Pixar as his rival as much as he does Gronkowski. But he’s still trying to break in. “He has all the ingredients to be successful in this business,” says Minshew of Powerhouse Animation. “He has attacked these endeavors with the same drive and ferocity that you would expect a football player to use on the field.”

Which leads to an interesting conundrum. Basically, Bennett will need his hands and his brain in his next chosen career, and those happen to be two of the body parts most likely to be damaged in his current one. His fingers hurt constantly, as do his ribs, back, shoulders, and legs. But his brain, he claims, is secure. “I’m fortunate,” he says. “I don’t take a lot of hits to the upper body because I’m tall. But honestly, you have to consider retirement every year. I’m an essentialist. I only do the things that are essential to my life. And one day, football won’t be anymore.”

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The 3 Cutty supporters left are not going to like this from Marty!

He didn't even say anything defamatory to get anyone up in arms. It takes a special kind of person to try and makes something out of nothing

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Great article. I'd buy the #83 jersey if I wasn't afraid that doing so would mean he'd be off the team next year.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
He didn't even say anything defamatory to get anyone up in arms. It takes a special kind of person to try and makes something out of nothing

Excellent point. Saying Cutler is so Not a leader that he'd rather work for McDonalds than be lead by him is not that bad...

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Excellent point. Saying Cutler is so Not a leader that he'd rather work for McDonalds than be lead by him is not that bad...

Except he didn't say that. I thought reading comprehension was mandatory in school?

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
And yet, he pretty much did.

Whether you you interpret it otherwise is on you.