Start of the College Season Bears Mock Draft

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I know it is early and this is stupid, but with the college season approaching it might be interesting to look at some players and positions that the Bears will be scouting.

1[1] Cleveland Browns: QB Cardale Jones [Ohio St]
1[2] Washington Redskins: QB Conner Cook [Michigan St]
1[3] Tennessee Titans: CB Vernon Hargreaves [Florida]
1[4] San Francisco 49ers: DE Joey Bosa [Ohio St]
1[5] Jacksonville Jaguars: OT Ronnie Stanley [Notre Dame]

1[6] QB Christian Hackenberg [Penn St] 6'4" 246lbs.

The Bears regime has gone out of their way not to commit to Jay Cutler and I believe that they are in a hurry to find, and start developing their guy. Hackenberg had a miserable junior season, but he should bounce back as a Junior with better protection and a 2nd year in the system. Hackenberg has every physical skill set that you could ask for and could be developed into a special talent.

ncf_u_hackenberg_b1_576.jpg

2[38] OT/OG Vadal Alexander [LSU] 6'6" 330lbs.

Alexander has played OG and will play this season at RT. He provides the Bears with size, power and versatility. Alexander can step in at RT, he can step in at RG if Kyle Long is moved. Alexander comes from a power run, pro style offense and he has a number of starts under his belt. If you are going to draft a young QB you need to protect him and run the ball.

vadal-alexander.jpg

3[70] S Jeremy Cash [Duke] 6'2" 210lbs.

Even if Adrian Amos locks down the FS position the Bears are still thin at safety and they need more young starting level talent at the position. Cash brings the size and range to be a starting safety. Cash can learn from Rolle, before ideally replacing him.

jeremy-cash.jpg

4[102] CB Taveze Calhoun [Mississippi St] 6'1" 190lbs.

The Bears also need to continue to add to their CB depth and talent. Fuller is still an unknown and it does not appear that Jennings or Ball are long term members of the group. Calhoun has the size, length, and comes from an aggressive defense. Fangio and Donatel had success with not highly drafted CBs in San Fran.

BHDFFYJSFCHUGPX.20131121195821.jpg

5. TE Nick Vannett [Ohio St] 6'6" 250lbs.

The Bears TE depth is garbage and they need to add more capable blockers to the unit. Vannett will be a first time starter and already is a strong blocker. If he can add a little to his receiving skills he may be a nice backup TE.

Nick+Vannett+Miami+Ohio+v+Ohio+State+W8OdDMbkZ2sl.jpg

[5]6. NT Darren Lake [Alabama] 6'3" 334lbs.

The Bears DL has been a surprise up to this point in the preseason, but the NT depth may be exposed with Ratliff out and at 34 next season Ratliff may not have much more left. Lake is big and strong and has experience in the 3-4.

Justin%2BWorley%2BDarren%2BLake%2BTennessee%2Bv%2BAlabama%2BMbpj1QPg4exl.jpg

7. OT Jason Spriggs [Indiana] 6'7" 300lbs.

The Bears OT position looks like it will be a mess in 2015. The Bears should continue to add players until they find some young players worth building around. Spriggs has the size and length to be a developmental OT.

Jason-Spriggs.jpg

Last edited:

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
i really like it, windy. well done.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
No way in hell on the LSU kid, that dude is way too fat I'll pass on him all day long. You have to be a somewhat nimble athlete in the NFL and he looks closer to 370 especially if he's a legit 6-6.

PAPABEAR77

Liked Posts:
that's all wrong we will have the last pick in each round but the picks are right on

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
The Titans will most likely not be selecting Stanley because they already have Lewan at LT.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
Nice work as always Windy. No OLB though? Allen likely off the books next year and aside from McPhee not a lot of heat to be brought. Houston can set the edge and is strong against the run and Acho is serviceable but in a league and a system where you can never have enough pass rushers I would say the Bears could use more.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Nice work as always Windy. No OLB though? Allen likely off the books next year and aside from McPhee not a lot of heat to be brought. Houston can set the edge and is strong against the run and Acho is serviceable but in a league and a system where you can never have enough pass rushers I would say the Bears could use more.

If they do not go OLB early in the draft than I do not think they are getting someone better than Bass or Acho.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Windy,

What would you project Jimmy G's trade value to be when he plays well the first 4 games of the season?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Windy,

What would you project Jimmy G's trade value to be when he plays well the first 4 games of the season?

I would assume they would expect a 2nd/3rd for him if he plays well. That seem to be the talk about Cousins when he played well.

But, if he plays well I doubt they will trade him unless they are convinced that Brady plays 4 more years.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
No way in hell on the LSU kid, that dude is way too fat I'll pass on him all day long. You have to be a somewhat nimble athlete in the NFL and he looks closer to 370 especially if he's a legit 6-6.

There are a number of early 2nd round OLmen I am going to follow.

If the Bears are going to go with a young QB they need to just stack the OL and live with what it costs to do so.

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
If they do not go OLB early in the draft than I do not think they are getting someone better than Bass or Acho.

I do like Curt Maggitt out of Tennessee as a mid-round OLB though.

Here's a scouting report from Sayre Bedinger of NFL Mocks that I found: http://nflmocks.com/2015/07/16/nfl-draft-early-look-at-tennessee-edge-rusher-curt-maggitt/

Here are the main points from the article:
At 6-3, 250 pounds, he showed phenomenal burst off the edge and a great instinct for making plays behind the line of scrimmage. Between his moves off the edge and experience as an inside linebacker, Maggitt offers positional versatility at the next level to play either standing up or with his hand in the dirt. Coming off the edge, there aren’t many tackles that are going to be able to keep up with his quickness off the snap. Maggitt plays with really good leverage and has really solid hand strength to be able to move offensive linemen at will.

One aspect of his game that I really liked was the way he was able to re-direct and explode into the quarterback on an outside-inside rush move.
In the end, he reminds me of Pernell McPhee.

652af46a025f09a169041547c0d8bf3f.jpg

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I would assume they would expect a 2nd/3rd for him if he plays well. That seem to be the talk about Cousins when he played well.

But, if he plays well I doubt they will trade him unless they are convinced that Brady plays 4 more years.

You think his value would be 2nd/3rd when they took him in the 2nd round?

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
If we aren't in line for one of the top QBs, I'll have me some Scooby Wright please.