Bulls in trade talks for Rudy Gay?

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It would be nice to have gay, but I don't see the point as it doesn't push us into title contenders. Better to keep the young, inexpensive players and develop them. Trade Taj, but not our young players.

I just do not see McBuckets being a starter in the NBA. I think he is just too slow.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Bulls arent going to take that contract to have him come off the bench.

As long as he's getting minutes it doesn't matter. Think iggy in GS. Either way, I'm still not crazy about this deal because it hurts us financially for a player who is not "star" caliber. He doesn't put us over the top.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
As long as he's getting minutes it doesn't matter. Think iggy in GS. Either way, I'm still not crazy about this deal because it hurts us financially for a player who is not "star" caliber. He doesn't put us over the top.
Yeah...even with the cap going up I find it hard to justify that price for someone who isn't at least a legit All Star. To me the most concerning thing is how much better his former teams have played without him.

Naptastic

Liked Posts:
Yeah...even with the cap going up I find it hard to justify that price for someone who isn't at least a legit All Star. To me the most concerning thing is how much better his former teams have played without him.

True. Is it his personality, or just his amount of shots. The raptors were significantly better without him.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
True. Is it his personality, or just his amount of shots. The raptors were significantly better without him.
I have no idea. I do know that when I watched Team USA I was infuriated every time he was on the floor. Though idk if that was just because Rose wasn't putting up numbers and I was deferring the rage to him instead.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

He really doesn't have to be a "star". He just has to be much better than Dunleavy which he certainly is.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
He really doesn't have to be a "star". He just has to be much better than Dunleavy which he certainly is.

The question is.... is Gay 4.2 times better than Dunn. And, could the Bulls add someone else at the 3.2 salary increase? Furthermore, the new offense will place a priority on the 3 point shot, which Dunn brings to the table.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
The question is.... is Gay 4.2 times better than Dunn. And, could the Bulls add someone else at the 3.2 salary increase? Furthermore, the new offense will place a priority on the 3 point shot, which Dunn brings to the table.

Yes, exactly. It's not only a matte of him being better than dunleavy...it comes down to price. Gay would severely hamper us in the future and he's simply not worthy of placing that kind of financial restraint to the team. He also isn't an ideal floor spacer and you would be pretty much forced to play him off the bench. Rose, butler, and gay all need shots...and none of them are great 3 PT shooters. Jimmy showed a good touch, but he doesn't take many and it's definitely not his game. That's really the least of the problem though as I think he'd be good off the bench, it's more his salary and the tendency of teams to play better when he's off it.

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes, exactly. It's not only a matte of him being better than dunleavy...it comes down to price. Gay would severely hamper us in the future and he's simply not worthy of placing that kind of financial restraint to the team. He also isn't an ideal floor spacer and you would be pretty much forced to play him off the bench. Rose, butler, and gay all need shots...and none of them are great 3 PT shooters. Jimmy showed a good touch, but he doesn't take many and it's definitely not his game. That's really the least of the problem though as I think he'd be good off the bench, it's more his salary and the tendency of teams to play better when he's off it.

With the cap about to sky rocket over the next few years...he'll be worth that contract by the time hes up for his player option- just watch how much more ridiculous the NBA will get with contracts. To say he isn't four times better than Dun means we shouldn't get him- isn't the right way to look at this.

Now I do agree with bringing in Rudy wouldn't help our 3 point shooting. Rose, Butler, Gay & Niko might be around 30% from the 3 as a whole. Where if Dun & if Dougie actually played- they'd be able to space the floor A LOT better for Rose & Butler.

However, the Bulls should be done building this team around Rose's talents. Now in 2011 & 2012...I agreed...they should have gotten as many shooters as they could. Now? Its a really bad idea to have shooters everywhere, but no Rose. They have to bring in the very best players moving forward regardless of fit as Niko & Butler could be all-stars here on out. Putting a guy like Gay in between them would be huge for both of those players.

If the Bulls can do this deal...they need to.

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:
Really? I remember him having a couple decent games

The remainder of that series after Game 1- he shot 42% and 33% from 3 while being extremely wide open all series.

He didn't play well, but Shumpert & Smith outplayed him in a big way. His choke in Game 4 may have cost us that series IMO.

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:
I just do not see McBuckets being a starter in the NBA. I think he is just too slow.

Its obvious Thibs thought the same thing, but we didn't get enough sample size on Dougie to be able to tell. I doubt management agreed with the whole Snell > Doug Thibs stance.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
See this is my point with Gay...will he improve this team? I just don't think so. Never would I say that Dunleavy is a better player than he is individually, but playing a team offense and team defense game you're going to get more of Dun, imo at least.

Any move that is made should be done with the thought that it puts the team past Cleveland. A high usage player (based on his time with Sacramento) like Gay probably isn't going to have the greatest time adjusting to being the 4th option, especially if Niko is going to be heavy in the offense as well.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
With the cap about to sky rocket over the next few years...he'll be worth that contract by the time hes up for his player option- just watch how much more ridiculous the NBA will get with contracts. To say he isn't four times better than Dun means we shouldn't get him- isn't the right way to look at this.

Now I do agree with bringing in Rudy wouldn't help our 3 point shooting. Rose, Butler, Gay & Niko might be around 30% from the 3 as a whole. Where if Dun & if Dougie actually played- they'd be able to space the floor A LOT better for Rose & Butler.

However, the Bulls should be done building this team around Rose's talents. Now in 2011 & 2012...I agreed...they should have gotten as many shooters as they could. Now? Its a really bad idea to have shooters everywhere, but no Rose. They have to bring in the very best players moving forward regardless of fit as Niko & Butler could be all-stars here on out. Putting a guy like Gay in between them would be huge for both of those players.

If the Bulls can do this deal...they need to.

Even with the cap jump, I'm pretty sure adding gay will prevent us from going after a legit top tier guy.

Also, having good floor spacing has nothing to do with building around Derrick. It's just a necessity in today's game. I'd actually like to bring in another 3 PT shooter, not trade a young one away.

Another thing for the people who say Doug is too slow. He's actually extremely quick. He has a very quick release. he's lightning quick off the floor, he's very efficient with his movements, and he's very crafty. Now, is he fleet of foot defensively? Not really, but if guys like pierce, Korver, sczerbiak could get by in this league, Doug should be able to. I see him as a 6th man candidate or a decent starter.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The remainder of that series after Game 1- he shot 42% and 33% from 3 while being extremely wide open all series.

He didn't play well, but Shumpert & Smith outplayed him in a big way. His choke in Game 4 may have cost us that series IMO.
Right you are. Though I wouldn't say every game was atrocious. He had two duds and two decent games, but he definitely did choke in game 4. Still, he's the best 3pt shooter on the team and FWIW he did shoot like 48% from 3 overall in the playoffs last year. He torched Milwaukee like it was no one's business. And Milwaukee is a good defensive team. If Niko or Doug or Snell could be more consistent from 3 to get some PT alongside him, I think he'd be way more effective.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
Doug should shoot 38-41% from 3 this season. I think snell should be at around 37-39%

I don't have the same expectations for niko however. Maybe 33-35% tops...I'm gonna guess more like 33% though.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Doug should shoot 38-41% from 3 this season. I think snell should be at around 37-39%

I don't have the same expectations for niko however. Maybe 33-35% tops...I'm gonna guess more like 33% though.
Niko certainly isn't gun shy like Snell or McDermott were last year. Hopefully he can get up near the 35% mark with that volume. It'd open a lot of things up for us if he could.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Even with the cap jump, I'm pretty sure adding gay will prevent us from going after a legit top tier guy.

Also, having good floor spacing has nothing to do with building around Derrick. It's just a necessity in today's game. I'd actually like to bring in another 3 PT shooter, not trade a young one away.

Another thing for the people who say Doug is too slow. He's actually extremely quick. He has a very quick release. he's lightning quick off the floor, he's very efficient with his movements, and he's very crafty. Now, is he fleet of foot defensively? Not really, but if guys like pierce, Korver, sczerbiak could get by in this league, Doug should be able to. I see him as a 6th man candidate or a decent starter.
I don't think anyone would doubt that Doug has a quick release and offensively is fairly polished. The biggest issue last season, and obviously this may change with Thibs being gone, is that defensively he was a train wreck and that is why he didn't get a lot of burn. I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt and say the missed assignments (and let's be honest, for a good majority of the time he was playing against backups as well) were a product of not being able to recognize right away - which should improve - but his footwork on defense was awful.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
I don't think anyone would doubt that Doug has a quick release and offensively is fairly polished. The biggest issue last season, and obviously this may change with Thibs being gone, is that defensively he was a train wreck and that is why he didn't get a lot of burn. I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt and say the missed assignments (and let's be honest, for a good majority of the time he was playing against backups as well) were a product of not being able to recognize right away - which should improve - but his footwork on defense was awful.

He barely played though, how can you call him a train wreck defensively? He never had a chance to play through any mistakes. Don't get me wrong, I don't think he's going to be a defensive stopper by any means, but he's going to give maximum effort and that should at least make him an average defender over time.

Also, regarding his defense/footwork, he said that last year he was only able to squat 60 pounds. 60. That's insanely bad for anyone, yet alone a professional athlete....but now he's squatting his body weight...naturally his lower body is stronger this year and he should be at least marginally faster\quicker than last season. Like any young player, he just needs playing time and the chance to learn from his mistakes.

Niko certainly isn't gun shy like Snell or McDermott were last year. Hopefully he can get up near the 35% mark with that volume. It'd open a lot of things up for us if he could.

Niko is a very streaky shooter. His stroke isn't as good as I thought it was going to be...but he should improve. 35% might be asking too much from him next season, but if he could hit that mark, that would be a monster boost for the team.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Niko is a very streaky shooter. His stroke isn't as good as I thought it was going to be...but he should improve. 35% might be asking too much from him next season, but if he could hit that mark, that would be a monster boost for the team.
Yeah he isn't quite the sharpshooter we thought he'd be, but he can still make it rain every now and then. He did shoot the Euro 3 at a near 40% clip which, although it is a shorter line, leads me to believe he can make an improvement to around 35% in time.