REPORT: Five teams have interest in Patrick Kane

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not gonna lie, there's a small part of me that would be excited with the cap space that would be created by trading Kane.

A team trading for him would have to probably trade equal or lesser that cap space to probably fit him in. That's basically 12.5% of your cap coming or going.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
A team trading for him would have to probably trade equal or lesser that cap space to probably fit him in. That's basically 12.5% of your cap coming or going.
Still, you can probably get like 2-3 good players plus picks for years if the deal was even remotely fair to reflect Kane's value as a player. Could fill a lot of holes in theory.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
If a guy is charged with rape.... you face a PR nightmare and a potential loss in revenue if you hang on to him.... and if he is convicted... then you are even more screwed for supporting a guy convicted of rape.

Give me a word or phrase you feel more comfortable with your holiness.....

When it comes down to it, you are not going to hang on to a player charged or convicted of rape.... I cannot imagine the backlash on a team if they did that.... they are basically saying "Listen we know he may have raped someone, but hockey is more important to us"... to the entire world. If Kane is charged with rape, whomever owns the rights to him is going to get rid of him, terminate his contract, do whatever they have to in order to shed him.

IF Kane is charged with rape (even convicted), there is no doubt in my mind that he will play in the NHL again as long as the league doesn't stand in his way with a life time suspension (not happening). A team will take a chance on him, say that he has changed, say that he is getting help, say that they believe in second chances, and say that he is helping their team on the ice.

TCD

Liked Posts:
No team is going to trade for Kane without a clear picture of what is going to happen to him, with him, etc.

Why would a team have to "release" Kane if he does get charged with something (not knowing how severe it would be necessarily)? Sure, it might not look great but for a lot of teams adding a player of Kane's caliber is going to outweight the baggage that he brings.

Also, can we stop using terms like "release" and "cut" when it comes to Kane or NHL players. Really not how their contracts work at all.

If, and i emphasize IF for the germ fuckers who cant read and think i am saying kane is guilty, kane is charged and found guilty in court. The league tosses him out. If not fans like myself will not watch nhl hockey anymore. Believe it or not even hard core long time hockey fans won't support a league harboring a rapist. This isn't a lock out where the league can be forgiven for contract disputes. Contracts don't play any roll or protect a player what so ever in criminal convictions and charges. Ask Voynov if his contract still allowed him to play for the Kings after being charged with domestic abuse. There are no clauses in contracts that say "you can play no matter what laws you break and lives you ruin".

Kane being charged with anything would be a pr nightmare and is devastating for the league and the team holding his contract if they allow him to continue to play. The NHL is a fragile league they don't have the fans in the palms of their hands like the NFL who are masters of manipulating the dumb fan base and doing damage control with the massive amount of money they make. NHL fans are different..we have a moral compass more so than not.

Besides if charges were laid and this goes to court Kane wont be around next season anyways. No time to play hockey during a rape trial for fuck sakes. So yah agree no teams going to go on a trade spree right now at this point in time. Complete nonsense.

TCD

Liked Posts:
IF Kane is charged with rape (even convicted), there is no doubt in my mind that he will play in the NHL again as long as the league doesn't stand in his way with a life time suspension (not happening). A team will take a chance on him, say that he has changed, say that he is getting help, say that they believe in second chances, and say that he is helping their team on the ice.

You are out of you skull on this one. Do you think this is 1985? Do you know how many activist groups esp womans rights and rape victim groups would be outside of every rink in NHL cities and elsewhere protesting every nhl game and bombarding social media and television? Holy shit there is no chance in hell kane ever plays in the league again if convicted of a rape charges (he will also serve jail time dont fool yourself). I highly doubt any european league would even take him (well maybe russia )There are no second chances with the way things work now..nobody is going to give him a second chance in this day and age when protest groups are loud and in your face 24 hours a day.

The NHL would neeeeever put themselves in such a situation how stupid to think they would it would destroy the league on so many levels to protect one player who isnt really that beloved in the first place outside of one large market. Kane would be done and rightfully so.

CRM 114

Premium Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Oh, absolutely. Probably not realistic but fun to think about.

Why, exactly? I would say Kane is the better player. Why would trading an elite player for a player of lesser value be fun?

Or do you want the extra salary cap room?

TCD

Liked Posts:
Advice to Kane when he gets to prison - Sleep on your back, or Bubba will

Fuck he is going to be the top selling jersey in prison. Those cute curls of his are going to get a lot of attention. Not talking about the curls on his head.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
You are out of you skull on this one. Do you think this is 1985? Do you know how many activist groups esp womans rights and rape victim groups would be outside of every rink in NHL cities and elsewhere protesting every nhl game and bombarding social media and television? Holy shit there is no chance in hell kane ever plays in the league again if convicted of a rape charges (he will also serve jail time dont fool yourself). I highly doubt any european league would even take him (well maybe russia )There are no second chances with the way things work now..nobody is going to give him a second chance in this day and age when protest groups are loud and in your face 24 hours a day.

The NHL would neeeeever put themselves in such a situation how stupid to think they would it would destroy the league on so many levels to protect one player who isnt really that beloved in the first place outside of one large market. Kane would be done and rightfully so.

Point in case, the NFL (of all leagues) doesn't even have a team that will touch Ray Rice with a 6 foot stick. The guy has admitted his mistakes, done a ton of charity work and speaking engagements, tons of positive PR, has gone on National Television and basically talked about what happened, how it's affected him, how genuinely terrible he will always feel about it and how that while he will keep trying to right his wrong, nothing will ever fix his mistake. Yet, the guy would easily play for the league minimum and is more talented than half the starting RBs in the league. Yet, he slugged his wife and no team wants that PR.

IF, Kane is convicted of rape, no way in hell does he play in the NHL ever again. If he gets charged, I doubt McD and Co. Will want him around regardless if he ends up cleared afterwards. All about the brand....

Sent from my Texas Instrument Calculator

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Why is it not realistic?

Because I don't think the Stars would be parting way with Benn for Kane, mainly because of all the baggage Kane now has with him, conviction or not.

Why, exactly? I would say Kane is the better player. Why would trading an elite player for a player of lesser value be fun?

Or do you want the extra salary cap room?

Kane is obviously the better player. No one's going to dispute that. I thought it'd be fun because the Hawks would have some cap space to play with the for the first time in years. Three Cups has been a pretty healthy consolation prize for the lack of cap room, though.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:

Does anyone know of a professional athlete that was played a game with a rape conviction on his record? I can't think of one. Most of the cases that come to mind (Roethlisberger, Kobe, etc.) didn't have convictions, IIRC.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Because I don't think the Stars would be parting way with Benn for Kane, mainly because of all the baggage Kane now has with him, conviction or not.

Kane is obviously the better player. No one's going to dispute that. I thought it'd be fun because the Hawks would have some cap space to play with the for the first time in years. Three Cups has been a pretty healthy consolation prize for the lack of cap room, though.

That doesn't make it unrealistic. That means that you personally are of the opinion that the baggage would be too much.

Don't try to troll me like you do to tribar.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Point in case, the NFL (of all leagues) doesn't even have a team that will touch Ray Rice with a 6 foot stick. The guy has admitted his mistakes, done a ton of charity work and speaking engagements, tons of positive PR, has gone on National Television and basically talked about what happened, how it's affected him, how genuinely terrible he will always feel about it and how that while he will keep trying to right his wrong, nothing will ever fix his mistake. Yet, the guy would easily play for the league minimum and is more talented than half the starting RBs in the league. Yet, he slugged his wife and no team wants that PR.

IF, Kane is convicted of rape, no way in hell does he play in the NHL ever again. If he gets charged, I doubt McD and Co. Will want him around regardless if he ends up cleared afterwards. All about the brand....

The Ray Rice comparison doesn't work so well IMO because he was pretty damn terrible during his last season of actual football. Kane is coming off what may have been the best regular season of his career (obviously shortened by injury).

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
That doesn't make it unrealistic. That means that you personally are of the opinion that the baggage would be too much.

Don't try to troll me like you do to tribar.

Yeah, that would be why I think it's an unrealistic move. Just my $ .02.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
The Ray Rice comparison doesn't work so well IMO because he was pretty damn terrible during his last season of actual football. Kane is coming off what may have been the best regular season of his career (obviously shortened by injury).

Just go with it brah.

Sent from my Texas Instrument Calculator

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Just go with it brah.

I guess the point is that this could be unprecedented territory for the Hawks, should Kane run into any serious legal problems. I can't think of an athlete of this caliber having this situation arise. The Kobe situation ended when the accuser refused to testify. Doesn't appear to be the case in this scenario, so far.

TCD

Liked Posts:
Furthermore if you are kane and you get convicted serve your time and pay your punishment. Do you even want to return to the NHL where fans will be spitting and throwing shit on you everywhere you go? probably not. You buy a remote property in Alaska and you go crazier than you will be once going through the process of a rape conviction. So not only will the league not allow him to play (anyone who thinks otherwise is out to lunch as there are zero benefits for the league at all and any talk about merchandising kane can easily be replaced esp with mcdavid entering the league and a great pool of unbelievable talent) but Kane himself would probably not want to return and may not be able to emotionally and knowing that he will never be the player he once was anyways and he would be a marked target.

I cant fathom how anyone could believe that if convicted and charged that kane would have any positive impact on the league any team or even his own self being as a pro hockey player. Bizzar mind set.