The Development of Bobby Portis

nbafan23

Liked Posts:

Oh yeah. Well I remember the Suns won 62 games with Amare at the C spot. Horford as I mentioned earlier been a center since coming into the league and was a power forward alongside Noah on those Florida teams. Also the Warriors won 3 straight games in the finals with 6'7" Draymond Green starting at center. Rasheed Wallace who Jalen Rose compared Portis too played center for the Pistons after Ben Wallace left.

I think Portis was the center at Arkansas in his 2 years there and played some center in SL and held his own against the #1 pick in KAT.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
He's the center of the future especially if Freddy sticks around. He may even grow another inch or so. I have a strong hunch the Bulls are looking at Portis and Niko as the future starters in the front court. Having your 4 and 5 being able to stretch the floor would be a nightmare for the opposition. Especially with Butler and Rose getting into the paint and another sharp shooter like Doug in the lineup, assuming he settles in.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Gone are the days where there is a real difference in positions. Could Bobby Portis play center? There is no doubt that in today's NBA that he could. There are really no more "true" centers in the NBA and honestly, you don't need one to win.

It's all about superstar's and versatility. Do you have a wealth of players who can guard and play different positions that allow you to exploit differences in speed, size and skill? Can you put a line up on the floor that neutralizes the other team's strengths and exploits their weaknesses? Can you construct a lineup to play a perimeter orientated offence and then another designed to penetrate and score inside? Do you have bigs that can bang in the middle and others that can step out and play on the perimeter?

The two best teams last year in GS and Cleveland could adjust their lineups and substitutions to suit and play any style they decided to play on any given night. I think the Bulls have the versatility and the creativity with Hoiberg...But do they have the talent? I am not so sure.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't hate Dunleavy. Just thought the signing was dumb due to the Bulls already having 2 young guys that need an opportunity. Especially McDermott since they traded 2 first round picks for him.

They did? I guess that I forgot that. I agree wit you about the re-signing though.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Dunleavy was the worst starting SF in the NBA last year

No way this makes any sense, The fallacy of all of these "ratings" is that they are based on subjective information that is really tainted to begin with. First of all, we have people who never played the game makes ratings on a particular player. How? What gives this person some cred to rate any player? First of all, they do not know the assignment of the player. Second sometimes one players performance is greatly influenced by another persons assignment carried or not carried. I could go on and on about what happens in an actual basketball game. When the SF releases a shot what if he was being double-teamed, was the passing lane open in the first place? Did the ball get tipped or the SF's arm hit because one of the center or guard missed a pick?

This shit is ridiculous. Statistics is only as good as the truth of the data itself. You can throw out all of the fucking numbers that you want to and "prove your case "statistically but it may be totally bullshit and this is the case with The Hawk entirely. IF they want to objectively rate a person's performance, then they should hire and pay people to rate players after hearing what the call of the play was and how the player reacted. I'd put credence on that, not having guys like me or whoever trying to judge objectively what a guy did on a given play.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I never really bothered to ask around draft time, but what is Gar's connection to Portis then?

Naptastic

Liked Posts:
Sounds like Hoiberg lives up to his rep of being player-friendly.

I cannot figure out how to embed tweets. Sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I didn't know what kind of rebounder Portis was... wow. He seems like he could be a very good player based on his rebounding alone.

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
Portis has been a rebounding machine thus far. Hopefully that carries over into regular season.

SweetHomeChicago

I have a Senior Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I didn't know what kind of rebounder Portis was... wow. He seems like he could be a very good player based on his rebounding alone.

I was about to post this exact thing. His rebounding has been exceptional. He always seems to be in the right position and the right time.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I was about to post this exact thing. His rebounding has been exceptional. He always seems to be in the right position and the right time.
His shooting leaves much to be desired though.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Oh man, I see where this is all going....

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Bobby Portis is the next Bull who could never be traded. Under any circumstances.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The problem with McDermott, Portis...etc. might be because of the absence of certain former employees. I have read 2 or 3 different articles about the impact losing scouts have had on Bulls' drafts

http://www.blogabull.com/2015/5/18/...draft-successfully-the-loss-of-matt-lloyd-and

I said this awhile ago and it is Gar's blood on the knife. Including bringing in a college coach like Hoiberg. Never knew Iowa and New Mexico were the basketball centers of the world.

Troy23

Liked Posts:
Being in Australia, I've only seen youtube highlights of Bobby Portis. So based on that, he reminds me a bit of Kevin Garnett. Anyone else have that kinda take on Portis?