The Development of Bobby Portis

McGREGOR__

Liked Posts:
Does Bobby Portis have the tools to develop into our starting center? I've heard nothing but PF so far. The guy is listed at 6-11. (same as Joe)

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I wouldn't bet on that. Of course, the biggest think in all of this is what kind of offense Hoiberg runs. I know some posters here have a much better idea than I on that. I don't personally see him as a 'center.' Thing to keep in mind though; the idea of positions in NBA offense doesn't really mean anything. In defense it's all about matchups.

nbafan23

Liked Posts:
With the way the game is set up now with this so called new small ball type of play that they are trying to do I think he would be a fine center in that type of system.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He is much shorter than that, or at least his body type plays shorter than that.

He is a stretch 4 like Niko.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
This is what we do.

Let him play a few years in the league, then you'll know how his body reacts to the NBA, the position, and the training. If KG can start his career at SF then slide to C later on, then who knows? To come remotely close to making a quality guess if he can, will take a LONG TIME.

If you're not patient (ie: base conclusions on rookie years), then the answer is likely that he wont be any good matching up against legitimate Centers.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is what we do.

Let him play a few years in the league, then you'll know how his body reacts to the NBA, the position, and the training. If KG can start his career at SF then slide to C later on, then who knows? To come remotely close to making a quality guess if he can, will take a LONG TIME.

If you're not patient (ie: base conclusions on rookie years), then the answer is likely that he wont be any good matching up against legitimate Centers.
this is a wise and good answer and I endorse the message. Portis is tough and willing, both him and Niko hussle up the floor and will try to defend whoever you ask them to. Mirotic has some great length. Let's see how much strength they can add, how much weight they can gain and still be quick. What's to like is the quality of three ball they both possess for their age, and height. Their hussle, and desire to be great. I was sad we missed on Dieng from Lousville for Snell, but with Hoiberg all these shooters is what we need. The clippers look nasty on paper and versatile. We have younger lesser knowns but as of right now I think we are less polished but more lethal from deep potentially. I think dunleavy is redundant partly because he is the all around guy. Whereas snell is your defense, McDermott the offense at same position.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
this is a wise and good answer and I endorse the message. Portis is tough and willing, both him and Niko hussle up the floor and will try to defend whoever you ask them to. Mirotic has some great length. Let's see how much strength they can add, how much weight they can gain and still be quick. What's to like is the quality of three ball they both possess for their age, and height. Their hussle, and desire to be great. I was sad we missed on Dieng from Lousville for Snell, but with Hoiberg all these shooters is what we need. The clippers look nasty on paper and versatile. We have younger lesser knowns but as of right now I think we are less polished but more lethal from deep potentially. I think dunleavy is redundant partly because he is the all around guy. Whereas snell is your defense, McDermott the offense at same position.

You guys see a lot more in this team than I do obviously. Dunleavy is not an all around guy and McDermott hasn't shown anything as someone to be counted on to score let alone play defense. And Snell? I think that those counting on him are going to be very disapointed. We are a team about 7 players deep and that is it. The Bulls better hope like hell that Mirotic steps up to all-star level and Rose is healthy and regains an ability to shoot well. Butler will again be a solid two way all-star. Gasol is healthy and solid. But this team lacks the bench to make a serious run. Once again, that is on Gar/Pax. Penny wise and pound foolish.

nbafan23

Liked Posts:
If Al Horford could play center in the nba for as long as he has. Then I think Portis could play center.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Al Horford could play center in the nba for as long as he has. Then I think Portis could play center.

Al Horford is a powerfully built man with hops.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You guys see a lot more in this team than I do obviously. Dunleavy is not an all around guy and McDermott hasn't shown anything as someone to be counted on to score let alone play defense. And Snell? I think that those counting on him are going to be very disapointed. We are a team about 7 players deep and that is it. The Bulls better hope like hell that Mirotic steps up to all-star level and Rose is healthy and regains an ability to shoot well. Butler will again be a solid two way all-star. Gasol is healthy and solid. But this team lacks the bench to make a serious run. Once again, that is on Gar/Pax. Penny wise and pound foolish.

How many guys deep do you think most teams go once the playoffs come around? We have the proper depth to get through the gruel and make the playoffs easily. We have the front 7-9 to compete with anyone in the playoffs.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
i don't know about starter but back up center seems possible

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
How many guys deep do you think most teams go once the playoffs come around? We have the proper depth to get through the gruel and make the playoffs easily. We have the front 7-9 to compete with anyone in the playoffs.

I just do not see this team being anykind of elite team. They are very thin at the skill positions. Two of the bigs are coming off injuries. As I see it, They have these no doubt quality players: Rose, Butler, Mirotic, and Gasol. Two additional IF they are sound are Gibson and Noah. That is six guys. Who is left? Dunleavy was the worst starting SF in the NBA last year and he's hurt and out til December. Snell is very inconsistent. McDermott is still basically a rookie and an unknown. The rest of the guards are pretty weak, We have a rookie draft pick who looks like he will be a solid player down the road but to depend on him is pretty iffy.

Thats what I am seeing. It may be not be what a lot of Bulls fans want to hear but that is okay. I think the Bulls management has been short sighted and weak in building an elite team. I think it reflects how cheap Reinsdorf really is. They had a chance, a real chance a few years ago to build a great team and pissed it away by not bringing in quality role players. Do not tell me that Hinrich, Snell, McDermott, the rest of the "guards" on this team are quality role players, please

And God forbid that any of the top six guys are lost because they are really thin.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I just do not see this team being anykind of elite team. They are very thin at the skill positions. Two of the bigs are coming off injuries. As I see it, They have these no doubt quality players: Rose, Butler, Mirotic, and Gasol. Two additional IF they are sound are Gibson and Noah. That is six guys. Who is left? Dunleavy was the worst starting SF in the NBA last year and he's hurt and out til December. Snell is very inconsistent. McDermott is still basically a rookie and an unknown. The rest of the guards are pretty weak, We have a rookie draft pick who looks like he will be a solid player down the road but to depend on him is pretty iffy.

Thats what I am seeing. It may be not be what a lot of Bulls fans want to hear but that is okay. I think the Bulls management has been short sighted and weak in building an elite team. I think it reflects how cheap Reinsdorf really is. They had a chance, a real chance a few years ago to build a great team and pissed it away by not bringing in quality role players. Do not tell me that Hinrich, Snell, McDermott, the rest of the "guards" on this team are quality role players, please

And God forbid that any of the top six guys are lost because they are really thin.
Show your work please.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
i'd agree Dunleavy is not really a starter but Clippers started Matt Barnes so that takes him out of the running for worst

who was Sixers starting SF last year? i don't even know...we need to look at possible upgrades forsure though

and our chances were pissed away because of Roses knees and his contract. if he had just got the regular max and not the "Rose Rule" max we would have been able to offer Carmelo a full max deal which he probably accepts...so yeah

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
who was Sixers starting SF last year? i don't even know

Robert Covington, who in all fairness, did punish teams who slept on him, but totally folded when anyone took him seriously.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Who are these teams with deeper rosters? The magical 300,000,000 Cavs? And the Clippers. Golden State who drafted well. The Spurs who got Aldridge. And then everyone else. We are one of the ten deepest teams for sure. But I think top 5 if you are talking depth.

nbafan23

Liked Posts:
The Dunleavy hate, from one particular person, is completely ridiculous.

I don't hate Dunleavy. Just thought the signing was dumb due to the Bulls already having 2 young guys that need an opportunity. Especially McDermott since they traded 2 first round picks for him.

nbafan23

Liked Posts:
Who are these teams with deeper rosters? The magical 300,000,000 Cavs? And the Clippers. Golden State who drafted well. The Spurs who got Aldridge. And then everyone else. We are one of the ten deepest teams for sure. But I think top 5 if you are talking depth.

The Bulls are deep. Just a matter of trying to find the right system for them excel in. Is it Hoibergs? Only time will tell.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I don't hate Dunleavy. Just thought the signing was dumb due to the Bulls already having 2 young guys that need an opportunity. Especially McDermott since they traded 2 first round picks for him.

Wasn't referring to you. Also, your earlier post in this thread raised a very good point.