What do you think is the best lineup the bulls can put together this season?

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
with the current roster

pg rose
sg butler
sf snell
pf portis
c gasol

nbafan23

Liked Posts:
with the current roster

pg rose
sg butler
sf snell

pf portis
c gasol

Portis is interesting. The 4 bolded is what some Bulls fans that I have seen on other sites say they want out there on the court.

nbafan23

Liked Posts:
Id be ok with it if you replace him with mirotic

Is Taj at this point just better off the bench for the Bulls then he is starting for them? Will he remain on the Bulls for the entire season?

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
From what we know at the moment:

Rose and Butler are obvious

SF - Snell. Potentially the only 3&D player we have on the roster. If he can get somewhat consistent output under Hoiball, he'll surpass Dunelavy with ease. He'll get minutes early on in the season too, probably will open as our starting SF so this may happen sooner rather than later.

PF - Taj. As of now, our only 2 way big man. If he's reasonably healthy his game can mesh with any big man we use and he'll give us a defensive presence as well.

C - Gasol. Unless Noah magically starts putting up near triple doubles again, Gasol is the best option. Paired with Gibson, we can somewhat cover a little more of the defensive void. His offense speaks for itself. He can work high-low with Taj in either spot. I do think Noah can take this spot if he regains offensive competence (ie doesn't miss layups, doesn't force ridiculous passes) and returns to the defensive presence we know he can be.

Imo this gives us the best offense/defense balance.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Haven't even seen Portis play NBA players, haven't seen Noah who played a second straight year with injury, one year out of DPOY. Haven't seen Hoiberg put his system to the test with this team(which will take MONTHS if not almost the entire year). And not sure how motivated Butler will be in a non-contract year.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
PG - Rose
SG - Butler
SF - Dunleavy(if he is healthy)
PF - Gibson
C - Gasol

rose, butler, gasol are all givens to start. due to the inability to play well off eachother, noah comes off the bench to play with Niko(who I thought played well off eachother and allowed noah to just play down low and do what he does thanks to nikos spacing).

and everyone seems to like snell over Dunleavy and while I understand snell is a better defender, I think many of you undervalue what Dunleavy means to the team. when he plays they look so much better offensively...the ball moves around better and the "smart" play gets made when he gets the ball. he seemed to be one of the few that understood how to get the ball to gasol in the post without it getting tipped or stolen by the defender. its those little details that make him imo a key player for them this year. not to mention our best 3 point shooter :shrug:

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
PG - Rose
SG - Butler
SF - Dunleavy(if he is healthy)
PF - Gibson
C - Gasol

rose, butler, gasol are all givens to start. due to the inability to play well off eachother, noah comes off the bench to play with Niko(who I thought played well off eachother and allowed noah to just play down low and do what he does thanks to nikos spacing).

and everyone seems to like snell over Dunleavy and while I understand snell is a better defender, I think many of you undervalue what Dunleavy means to the team. when he plays they look so much better offensively...the ball moves around better and the "smart" play gets made when he gets the ball. he seemed to be one of the few that understood how to get the ball to gasol in the post without it getting tipped or stolen by the defender. its those little details that make him imo a key player for them this year. not to mention our best 3 point shooter :shrug:
I see you on Dunleavy...I just think Snell has the better potential if he were to improve. Snell showed flashes of being able to do everything Dunleavy does, but with the ability to drive on occasion as well as the benefit of better defense. No disrespect to Dunleavy though, he's huge for the team for sure.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I see you on Dunleavy...I just think Snell has the better potential if he were to improve. Snell showed flashes of being able to do everything Dunleavy does, but with the ability to drive on occasion as well as the benefit of better defense. No disrespect to Dunleavy though, he's huge for the team for sure.

agreed...snell for sure has a higher ceiling or what have you. Dunleavy is who he is, snell is still young and a really good athlete with freakish arm length. if hoiberg is going to want to run n gun or whatever then I could see both players playing very well in it and there will be minutes for both. especially with the injury to dunleavy

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
agreed...snell for sure has a higher ceiling or what have you. Dunleavy is who he is, snell is still young and a really good athlete with freakish arm length. if hoiberg is going to want to run n gun or whatever then I could see both players playing very well in it and there will be minutes for both. especially with the injury to dunleavy
I think also if you were to include Dunleavy in the bench unit with potentially Brooks, Niko, and Jo, there's a lot of spacing and ball movement there which works under Hoiball as well.

I do think Dunleavy will be the starter when he comes back unless Snell really shocks us with improvement, but Snell will be the better option to close out games. Based on what we know so far, Rose/Butler/Snell/Gibson/Gasol is my closing group.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
same as last year but with Taj starting for Noah

nbafan23

Liked Posts:
So you think the Bulls should try to run a team oriented offense like the old Bad Boy Pistons teams from 87-91? When they had all those guys averaging like 9-18ppg.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So you think the Bulls should try to run a team oriented offense like the old Bad Boy Pistons teams from 87-91? When they had all those guys averaging like 9-18ppg.
That wouldn't be a bad thing imo

nbafan23

Liked Posts:
I tell you what would be a fun lineup to put out there from time to time and possibly our future starting 5 (unless something remarkable happens by trade, FA, and/or the draft) would be Portis, Niko, Snell, Butler, and Rose.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
with the current roster

pg rose
sg butler
sf snell
pf portis
c gasol

Portis? That is a very high expectation for a middle of the road draft pick.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think also if you were to include Dunleavy in the bench unit with potentially Brooks, Niko, and Jo, there's a lot of spacing and ball movement there which works under Hoiball as well.

I do think Dunleavy will be the starter when he comes back unless Snell really shocks us with improvement, but Snell will be the better option to close out games. Based on what we know so far, Rose/Butler/Snell/Gibson/Gasol is my closing group.

Dunleavy as a starter is a big loss for the Bulls. He is at best an 8th or 9th player on a championship team. He can't create his own shot, can't post up his man and is only average as an assist guy. He sure as shit cannot play defense worth a damn. I just do not see why this guy gets all of these kudus from people on this board.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Rose
Butler
Gasol
Mirotic
Snell

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Dunleavy as a starter is a big loss for the Bulls. He is at best an 8th or 9th player on a championship team. He can't create his own shot, can't post up his man and is only average as an assist guy. He sure as shit cannot play defense worth a damn. I just do not see why this guy gets all of these kudus from people on this board.

dunleavys value doesn't show up in the stat sheet outside of his shooting. what I do know is the bulls record is much better with him than it is without him :shrug:

Naptastic

Liked Posts:
dunleavys value doesn't show up in the stat sheet outside of his shooting. what I do know is the bulls record is much better with him than it is without him :shrug:

Agreed. Dunlevy is worth alot more than his stats show. Im surprised no ones ready for Niko as a starter. Im hopeful that the lineup is this.

Rose
Butler
McDermott
Mirotic
Gibson/Noah share minutes

That would leave a good balance of defense with still alot of three point shooting, which will apparently be the focal point. Gibson will clean up and rebound. With less minutes, Noah should be back to his high energy self.