Blackhawks 2015-16 Team Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattia

Liked Posts:
SchmAltz, Bickell, a first, a third, Dano, Rasmussen, Panik, Forsling, and Pokka for an Andrew Ladd rental, or Hartnell.

I may don't understand, how many players for a rental?

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Just realized that Ladd's contract expires after this season, which means Winnipeg could very well be looking to unload him. MAKE IT HAPPEN STAN.

Would take Ladd back in a heartbeat if we can afford his contract

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
I'd be more than willing to throw Andrew Shaw into a deal that would bring Ladd back.

Depends how contract negotiations are going with Shaw (scheduled to be a RFA this offseason). Shaw is a guy that, at $2mil, has shown that he can play anywhere in the lineup (lines 1 - 4) and can even sub in at center if needed. Pretty damn valuable to a Blackhawks team that is going to be up against the cap for the foreseeable future. Don't know where the Blackhawks would be if Shaw didn't magically slot into the 1LW role for the time being - and while I don't think he is the long term solution there, it has been a real nice stopgap. I wouldn't get rid of a guy like Shaw for a rental like Ladd.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Depends how contract negotiations are going with Shaw (scheduled to be a RFA this offseason). Shaw is a guy that, at $2mil, has shown that he can play anywhere in the lineup (lines 1 - 4) and can even sub in at center if needed. Pretty damn valuable to a Blackhawks team that is going to be up against the cap for the foreseeable future. Don't know where the Blackhawks would be if Shaw didn't magically slot into the 1LW role for the time being - and while I don't think he is the long term solution there, it has been a real nice stopgap. I wouldn't get rid of a guy like Shaw for a rental like Ladd.

But none of those future seasons are guaranteed to go as well as this one. If the Hawks have an opportunity to acquire a guy like Ladd, an actual legit top line guy, in exchange for Shaw, who had to "magically slot" (your words) into a top-line spot, you do that immediately. Shaw has been just fine, but if he were lost in a trade it would not exactly mortgage the team's future.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
I would of said no earlier but it's the contrast of how well he has been playing the latter half of the year.. Shaw is kinda because of that top 6 icetime earning the potential to arbitration argue for 3 Mil.

Unless Kruger has an outstanding post-season return, he has a weak negotiation spot while Shaw will have a high one. That may be the factor in how the roster RFA decisions turn out.. or maybe both would be gone anyway because Panarin is looking to be top 10 forwards in scoring earning that extra bonus muns.

mikita's helmet

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
2016 NHL trade deadline rumors: Trading for Andrew Ladd would make sense for Blackhawks

Acquiring Ladd would make a lot of sense for the Chicago Blackhawks, who have been in search for a true first line left winger nearly all season. Jonathan Toews and Marian Hossa have struggled to find consistent success this season in large part to the inconsistency they've experienced in linemates.

The good news for the Blackhawks is that Ladd's cap hit is within their affordable price range. Because salaries are prorated throughout the season in the NHL, Chicago has over $4 million in cap space as its disposal for the trade deadline. That means any deal for Ladd would really only require the movement of a smaller cap hit such as Brandon Mashinter, who could easily be sent to Rockford to keep the Hawks cap compliant.

http://www.secondcityhockey.com/201...ts-andrew-ladd-trade-rumors-analysis-nhl-2016

Last edited:

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'd be more than willing to throw Andrew Shaw into a deal that would bring Ladd back.

Nope. Shaw is so valuable in so many ways for this team. I do not want him to go, certainly not at this point.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
But none of those future seasons are guaranteed to go as well as this one. If the Hawks have an opportunity to acquire a guy like Ladd, an actual legit top line guy, in exchange for Shaw, who had to "magically slot" (your words) into a top-line spot, you do that immediately. Shaw has been just fine, but if he were lost in a trade it would not exactly mortgage the team's future.

Shaw to me is a "glue guy" and glue guys are very important on every team and every sport. There are other ways to get Ladd which is fine with me certainly, but not as a throw-in to land a guy that you have no guarantee will stick on your team in the future.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

If Shaw is as worthless as you make him out to be, it'll take more than him to get Ladd. :harden::hawkstroll:

Also Shaw brings some chippieness that this team lacks on some nights, enough so to fire up the team when needed.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:

Another great side effect of the Saad agent blunder is that Stan doesn't care who you are or how much fans love you, if you aren't going to be reasonable your aren't going to be here. Still feel bad for the kid but at least he's getting paid

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:

Not a core guy, then not a long term priority. He's been great for what he is but for that kind of money you can find adequate replacement. The Hawks have shown they are a plug and play team.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
2016 NHL trade deadline rumors: Trading for Andrew Ladd would make sense for Blackhawks

Acquiring Ladd would make a lot of sense for the Chicago Blackhawks, who have been in search for a true first line left winger nearly all season. Jonathan Toews and Marian Hossa have struggled to find consistent success this season in large part to the inconsistency they've experienced in linemates.

The good news for the Blackhawks is that Ladd's cap hit is within their affordable price range. Because salaries are prorated throughout the season in the NHL, Chicago has over $4 million in cap space as its disposal for the trade deadline. That means any deal for Ladd would really only require the movement of a smaller cap hit such as Brandon Mashinter, who could easily be sent to Rockford to keep the Hawks cap compliant.

http://www.secondcityhockey.com/201...ts-andrew-ladd-trade-rumors-analysis-nhl-2016
They would have to over pay in prospects but would love to see them make a deal for Ladd that also sends Bick the other way.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Shaw to me is a "glue guy" and glue guys are very important on every team and every sport. There are other ways to get Ladd which is fine with me certainly, but not as a throw-in to land a guy that you have no guarantee will stick on your team in the future.

He is, but Ladd was a much better glue guy than even Shaws ceiling would be.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
He is, but Ladd was a much better glue guy than even Shaws ceiling would be.

I don't think anyone is trying to make a comparison of Ladd vs Shaw. Everyone would take Ladd over Shaw. The question is, is getting Ladd for 20 games + playoffs, worth losing Shaw for this season and the future when he still has a controllable contract? Ladd is a pure rental unless he drastically comes down on his asking price or the Blackhawks move Bickell+ more salary cap space.

You aren't replacing Shaw at $2mil - how much does he want going forward? Not too sure but I think Shaw brings a lot to this team and I wouldn't risk losing him for a rental.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
Also - something to note here is that Bowman has never been one to make a big splash at or around the trade deadline. Usually he trades for some forward or Dman depth and goes from there and doesn't really trade out useful roster players. Last year was easily the biggest trades he made around the deadline (Timmo and Vermette) and it was certainly under unique circumstances with Kane out.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
I don't think anyone is trying to make a comparison of Ladd vs Shaw. Everyone would take Ladd over Shaw. The question is, is getting Ladd for 20 games + playoffs, worth losing Shaw for this season and the future when he still has a controllable contract? Ladd is a pure rental unless he drastically comes down on his asking price or the Blackhawks move Bickell+ more salary cap space.

You aren't replacing Shaw at $2mil - how much does he want going forward? Not too sure but I think Shaw brings a lot to this team and I wouldn't risk losing him for a rental

This is the problem. Shaw is a heck of a value right now. But I worry how much more his contract will go up in the offseason. Not exactly a Bryan Bickell scenario but it could be similar.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
This is the problem. Shaw is a heck of a value right now. But I worry how much more his contract will go up in the offseason. Not exactly a Bryan Bickell scenario but it could be similar.

R-F-A = up it goes so the value jumps droves!!

I just don't see the addition of Ladd with the loss of Shaw a gigantic boost to this team because the flexibility Shaw has is still key in the playoffs. You lose a guy who can really slot anywhere on any line, can give right handed faceoffs in the dzone when Q wants that occasionally when it's a lesser guy centering, and without him on the bottom 6 you don't have anything at winger you can settle on but TT.

I don't think they can win with that weak bottom 6 even with Kruger in the POs. Unless crazily Bickell returns to the club and shows up suddenly.

Status
Not open for further replies.