Report: cubs meet Eddy Julio Martinez's asking price

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
CF for next season?

No, he's too young. He's like 20 but he's not that far away. I'd imagine he starts next year in Mesa maybe south bend but could finish in Mertle Beach. That basically would put his ETA at about 3 years. Basically, I'd picture him similar to Torres this year going into next. Torres was only 18 this year but played almost all year at A ball and got called up to A+ for the playoffs.

With that being said, don't sleep on him. He's got a pretty good tool set and good speed. Given the overall lack of CF depth in the cubs system(especially if Happ who they drafted moves to 2B as he is in instructs) he's really a nice addition for more or less money.

To give you an idea of his tool set Kiley McDaniels of fangraphs gave him a potential grades of
Hit: 50
Game power: 45
Raw power: 50
Speed: 65
Field 55
Arm 55

The best CF in the past draft was apparently Andrew Benintendi who the Sox took at 7. He has the following potential grades
Hit: 50+
Game power: 50+
Raw Power: 55
Speed: 60
Field: 55
Arm: 50+

So basically you're looking at roughly an equivalent top 10 pick by draft standards. MLB.com liked Martinez slightly better based on grades. Giving him 60's on everything but run where he has a 70 grade. McDaniels is usually a bit more conservative than mlb.com but if you translate his scouting rankings into typically game stats you're looking at like .260ish hitter with 15ish HRs and probably 30ish steals and many think he can be pretty decent in CF. Obviously not mike Trout we're talking about here but definitely a decent CF prospect.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Really a lot of mixed opinions on this guy but with his tools he's close to a can't miss, not to be star, but to be a solid MLB player. He fits the high floor, high ceiling mold this FO prefers. Basically if he can stick in CF he's got star potential if not he's a 4th OF type because of limited 15-18 HR potential. Very nice signing. 4 years ago this team had the 28th or 29th ranked farm system and looked years away. Today the have what is likely to still be a top 5 farm system after having "graduated" a ton of talent and oh by the way they're in the NLDS.

GUSTER12345

Liked Posts:
I would've thought it would cost a whole lot more to sign this stud. Were not many other teams in the mix?

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I would've thought it would cost a whole lot more to sign this stud. Were not many other teams in the mix?

The story I've read is that he hired an agent that priced him too high looking for around $11 or $12 million and not everyone had him as the unquestioned best player in this international market. Teams started spending their budgets on other players and he was left out in the cold so he switched agents but again the market had shrunk and so had the money. If he is what he projects to be the Cubs got a bargain.

PickSix

Liked Posts:

The link above indicates $3 mill, but read somewhere the Cubs out of pocket will be $6 mill due to luxury tax on going over the international spending cap.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Just keep that talent train flowing. :yep:

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
The link above indicates $3 mill, but read somewhere the Cubs out of pocket will be $6 mill due to luxury tax on going over the international spending cap.

Yes, that's correct. $3 million to Martinez $3 million to MLB.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
First it seems like a nice find. Two things though. It looks like he agreed to a deal and then he and his dad became major tools and backed out. Why wouldn't any other teams like the Dodgers, Yankees, Red Sox go after him?

Whatever, $6 million is worth the risk based on the scouting that beckdawg posted.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
The other thing a signing like this does for the team is make them a little more comfortable trading a bat to get a young pitcher. Most young hitting prospects haven't moved lately (thanks for showing the risk of that Billy Beane) so maybe the Cubs willingness to move a bat or two can get them a young arm in the rotation and then they can say buy out Jake's arbitration years.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
The other thing a signing like this does for the team is make them a little more comfortable trading a bat to get a young pitcher. Most young hitting prospects haven't moved lately (thanks for showing the risk of that Billy Beane) so maybe the Cubs willingness to move a bat or two can get them a young arm in the rotation and then they can say buy out Jake's arbitration years.

Agreed. The stockpiling of bats in this year's draft and international signing period suggests exactly that.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
First it seems like a nice find. Two things though. It looks like he agreed to a deal and then he and his dad became major tools and backed out. Why wouldn't any other teams like the Dodgers, Yankees, Red Sox go after him?

Whatever, $6 million is worth the risk based on the scouting that beckdawg posted.

Red Sox and Yankee's can't go after him. They spent over the limit last IFA period and can't spend over I believe $250,000 on any one player. As for the dodgers, it's hard to say. Maybe they don't like him that much. Maybe they feel they have a ridiculous amount of OF already. They have already spent a boat load too so he would also cost them $6 mil like the cubs. They have already reportedly dropped $16 mil on Yadier Alvarez, $2.6 on Starling Heredia, $2 mil on Ronny Brito, and $500k on Christopher Arias. That then all gets doubled since they went over and there's still a number of cuban players who are still available. So, as shocking as it sounds they might just have run out of money to spend on IFAs.

Thing to remember is a lot of these are gambles at talent. Martinez might be less of one because he's 20 but some of these guys are 16 and all of the money is based on projection of what they might be at 18-20. So, it's rarely a case of anyone being a "sure thing." Eloy Jimenez and Torres were like #1 and 2 in the IFA period 2 years ago when cubs went nuts. Torres has skyrocketed to success really quickly . Jimenez hasn't been "bad" but he's not a top 100 guy yet either and they gave him like $3 mil IIRC.

Edit: I was inaccurate. That "all" doesn't get doubled. I'm not sure how much IFA slot bonus they have but it's like $2-3 mil. Anythign over that is doubled in cost.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I don't have insider but bleacher nation mentioned that Klaw thinks the cubs got a steal in Martinez. That being said, he's some what polarizing some liking him a lot(Klaw apparently said he would have been the top pick in the draft) where as others think he's ok but not a super prospect.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Looks like the latest on this is the giants are apparently alleging they had a binding deal prior to the cubs signing him. The story is basically a case of Martinez having multiple agents that apparently didn't know what the other was doing. It's supposedly in the hands of the league now but I would be surprised if the cubs lose him to this. Seems like this front office is pretty good about crossing their t's and dotting their i's.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Boobaby1;2294051[B said:
]Just keep that talent train flowing. [/B]:yep:

No worries there, it's the Epstein way!!!

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't have insider but bleacher nation mentioned that Klaw thinks the cubs got a steal in Martinez. That being said, he's some what polarizing some liking him a lot(Klaw apparently said he would have been the top pick in the draft) where as others think he's ok but not a super prospect.

It's always that way with prospects. I remember reading about some scouts shaking their heads in disbelief when the Cubs drafted Schwarber, claiming it to be the riskiest reach in the last 10 drafts. Who's shaking their head now!!!

chibears55

Liked Posts:
So does Martinez Join McKinney, Almora, Happ, Dewees, and Jiminez as potential trade bait or does he or any of these guys have the potential to knock out Soler or Schwarber by 2017..

One thing the Cubs have going for them now is a surplus of talented Outfielders...