72-10 watch

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I honestly don't know if they are above average anymore. We'll see how Fred handles everything during the season, as I imagine the offense will be better, but they are gladly an Eastern Conference team. In the East they can win 50+, in the West I think they are a .500 team.

This is all on paper. I understand we are seeing nothing but vanilla so far in the preseason.

I don't think any reasonable NBA follower expects anyone other than Cleveland to come out of the East.
Pretty much. I'd still rate them an above average team.

They'd probably finish 6th in the West at that rate. In the East they're a top 3 team until we see something that says otherwise for better or worse.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Unless I'm just a major dark cloud, I see three things new with this team:
1. Hoiberg
2. Portis
3. More minutes for Doug

Only one of those things will matter in the end. Admittedly, my opinion might change for the better come January.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Unless I'm just a major dark cloud, I see three things new with this team:
1. Hoiberg
2. Portis
3. More minutes for Doug

Only one of those things will matter in the end. Admittedly, my opinion might change for the better come January.
I'm of the opinion November will be a very rough month for the Bulls. They will take some time to get use to all these things...I think by January we'll know where this team is going and what they can do.

Regardless of what happens this season though, its wise to blow it up next season for the most part.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I'm of the opinion November will be a very rough month for the Bulls. They will take some time to get use to all these things...I think by January we'll know where this team is going and what they can do.

Regardless of what happens this season though, its wise to blow it up next season for the most part.
I would agree with that. You can jettison Rose, Noah, Taj, and Gasol. Build around Butler, Doug, and Portis.

payton 34ever

Liked Posts:
Who will be the first team to fall off in the race to 72 (the first to lose 11 games)? That might be an interesting discussion.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Who will be the first team to fall off in the race to 72 (the first to lose 11 games)? That might be an interesting discussion.
Then you've come to the right place my friend!

My guess: Philly

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't really believe they have a chance, or you guys have convinced me over the last couple years. I want to be bullish just because the East sucks so bad, or did last year. I think Miami is improved, Washington and Atlanta proved themselves. And the Cavs are the most expensive team in history and if anybody has a shot its probably them.

Where we disagree I think is on the state of the Bulls. I couldn't be happier. We have a seriously talented roster with amazing depth built over the years under the great Thibs defensively. Holberg played in the league, he isn't going to abandon defense any more than Kerr did.

You take a roster of playmaking talent like the Bulls and add in an offensive coach with actual plays rather than just ...."we have to shoot when we are open" Thibs and I don't know what we might get.

For how sacred 72 wins is, Golden State sure made a run at it for a while last year with their long winning streaks. Thats what it takes, is two long 20 game win streaks and health for your stars. Then you go 32-10 the rest of the way.

I agree with the state of the league and parity it will never be broken, but then again I didn't know you could spend 300,000,000 on a single season if you wanted to.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
As promised, here are the following teams (have played a game) who are in the mix for the elusive 72 wins:
Chicago Bulls 1-0
Detroit Pistons 1-0
Golden State Warriors 1-0
Atlanta Hawks 0-1
Cleveland Cavaliers 0-1
New Orleans Pelicans 0-1

14 games tonight, including our Bulls traveling to Brooklyn.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Here is your update on teams still eligible:
Bulls 2-0
Pistons 2-0
Heat 1-0
Knicks 1-0
Celtics 1-0
Raptors 1-0
Heat 1-0
Wizards 1-0
Nuggets 1-0
Trail Blazers 1-0
Thunder 1-0
Timberwolves 1-0
Warriors 1-0
Clippers 1-0
Mavericks 1-0
Cavaliers 1-1
Grizzlies 0-1
Spurs 0-1
Rockets0-1
Nets 0-1
76ers 0-1
Pacers 0-1
Bucks 0-1
Magic 0-1
Hornets 0-1
Hawks 0-1
Jazz 0-1
Lakers 0-1
Kings 0-1
Suns 0-1
Pelicans 0-2

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
Here is your update on teams still eligible:
Bulls 2-0
Pistons 2-0
Heat 1-0
Knicks 1-0
Celtics 1-0
Raptors 1-0
Heat 1-0
Wizards 1-0
Nuggets 1-0
Trail Blazers 1-0
Thunder 1-0
Timberwolves 1-0
Warriors 1-0
Clippers 1-0
Mavericks 1-0
Cavaliers 1-1
Grizzlies 0-1
Spurs 0-1
Rockets0-1
Nets 0-1
76ers 0-1
Pacers 0-1
Bucks 0-1
Magic 0-1
Hornets 0-1
Hawks 0-1
Jazz 0-1
Lakers 0-1
Kings 0-1
Suns 0-1
Pelicans 0-2
bulls vs pistons tomorrow should be interesting. Battle for first place. ECF preview.

Naptastic

Liked Posts:
Let me add Brooklyn as my pick for the first to be eliminated from 72-10. They looked awful and their roster was very unimpressive.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think the 72 watch is a joke for this reason.

Golden State won 67 last year and have stated a goal of winning more than 67. They aren't saying it, but their goal is 72. We know that because their fucking head coach was on the 72 team. He knows what it takes, he challenges them to greatness and dangles that carrot.

Look...IDK, but that feels like a threat.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:

Golden State won 67 last year and have stated a goal of winning more than 67. They aren't saying it, but their goal is 72. We know that because their fucking head coach was on the 72 team. He knows what it takes, he challenges them to greatness and dangles that carrot.

Steve kerr is also the Mercury Morris of that 72-10 team and doesn't believe it will happen again.

http://staatalent.com/Headlines/10/10/27nba.php

SI.com: Are you worried the Heat will top the 72-win record set by your Bulls team?

Steve Kerr: Not really. I've been asked this many times and I've mentioned I don't want to be Mercury Morris and have a champagne celebration when they lose their 11th game. This is just a difficult record to break and those circumstances in '95-96 were really unique because Michael [Jordan] came back from baseball and was like a man on a mission. There were 10 or 15 games that year that we had no business winning and he just decided we would win. This year you are already seeing injuries with Mike Miller and with Wade in the preseason. They will win a ton of games, but I don't think 72 wins is realistic.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
I wish people would stop having this discussion. Teams just dont win 70 games. It's hard to do. Its like that elusive 16-0 in NFL.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I wish people would stop having this discussion. Teams just dont win 70 games. It's hard to do. Its like that elusive 16-0 in NFL.
I'm just doing this thread out of boredom.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats

Steve Kerr's 72+ Win Plan
1. Sign a 32 year old Michael Jordan
2. Profit