You're the GM (Game)

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
So the Cubs are favorites among the public (vegas lines) and the projections that are released to the public (Pecota and Fangraphs) but they're not the favorites due a sampling on an unknown number of writers who haven't released their picks?

It sucks I can't block posters like that.

I didn't say that at all. Projections are interesting and we've all seen the various computer models showing the Cubs as the World Series favorite. PECOTA has them at 95 wins. ZIPS has them at 96. Both models have had some interesting successes and some interesting failures over the last few years, but they are a good resource. There are some huge discrepancies as well as ZIPS has the Indians winning 92 games and ZIPS has them at 86. These things are fun and are a good gauge, preseason on how good your team is and the Cubs are very, very good. My point was that I'm not paying a ton of attention to the varying projections from writers. As I said I think there is some Cubs fatigue and writers are all over the place for various reasons, often just for the clicks. I'm not sure who said that the Cubs weren't the favorites but it wasn't me, all I said was that the Giants are a viable pick that you can make a case for. Personally I'm picking Arizona in that division and, in the vast scheme of things, none of it means anything except that we are in dire need of baseball games.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Good Lord....who the hell cares what any of these clowns predict? No one remembers what anyone says in preseason anyway.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Does anyone know if the competitive balance picks teams get and can trade are subject to the qualifying offer stuff? Reason I ask is bleacher nation mentioned something I had thought about which was trading for those picks which are the only picks you can trade for. However, I was sort of under the impression it wouldn't really be worth while because presently the cubs are going to lose their first and second round picks and don't pick to the third round. In this scenario, They'd trade for a pick which would just free up their second round pick and they would in turn lose the pick they trade for. I'm a little fuzzy on the pool allotment but I think that pick would be around $1 mil which would take them from around $2.5 mil in pool to $3.5 mil.

I'm not entirely sure that would be worth while. The cubs gave Bryan Hudson $1.1 mil last year so that's essentially the level of player we're talking about. Seems to me that what you give up to get the competitive balance pick would probably be a player of that level. So, unless you're finding someone to give you one for say a redundant part like Christian Villianueva it doesn't makes much sense to me.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Good Lord....who the hell cares what any of these clowns predict? No one remembers what anyone says in preseason anyway.

Cards fans do. If they are picked to win they celebrate that they're the choice. If picked to finish 2nd or worse, "the whole world is against us".