Anyone listening to ESPN 1000 right now?

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
A possible elite bat? This team already has too much swing and miss power bats in the lineup. Situational hitting on this team is not there. Everybody loves everybody in that organization. It sucks to fire people. It sucks to trade them, too. Baez is the most tradable without upsetting the apple cart so to speak.
Yeah, the Cubs "situtational" hitting was bad this year. That's why they were horrible in close games....wait...they weren't.

You're cutting off your nose to spite your face with this stuff. The Cubs issue is starting pitching. The market for that in FA is deep. Why trade assets you don't need to in order to acquire it.

Too many knee jerk reactions to a playoff series loss.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Solar played himself into untouchable by coming back from injury and jacking taters in the playoffs.

I want guys on my team that might jack taters in the playoffs. Proving that in the playoffs, and just missing another....untouchable.

Baez is too interesting to let go. These rookies led the charge of a 6 homers playoff game. Keep them all. Add a CF rabbit....hell...Torri Hunter? Josh Hamilton? Wouldn't that be something?

I don't know...trade the unproven guys from the farm. Ones that come up and prove it you keep.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I will not be surprised id we see them trade for a 2B guy who hits for contact with a high OBP.

Why would we trade for a second baseman when you have a plethora of up the middle talent? Castro contact was phenomenal in the second half and good overall. He will never walk a lot but neither does Jose Altuve. This team is young. Don't shake it up much. Look at the Royals. They were the young team last year and now they are the grizzle vets. They tweaked their team. This is a core that played very well together. You want to keep that going.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Yeah, the Cubs "situtational" hitting was bad this year. That's why they were horrible in close games....wait...they weren't.

You're cutting off your nose to spite your face with this stuff. The Cubs issue is starting pitching. The market for that in FA is deep. Why trade assets you don't need to in order to acquire it.

Too many knee jerk reactions to a playoff series loss.
Doy diddly doy. They are going to be trading for a young, cost-controlled pitcher. Someone's gotta go. And yes. The Cubs issue was more than just pitching. Too much swing and miss. Young hitters have a lot of work to do in the mental approach at the plate.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
In all honesty I doubt anyone gets traded this offseason. Lots of assets. Trading a guy to free up space for a situational hitter? :aj:

You can get situational bats in the free agency market for peanuts. The biggest issue the team has is starting pitching and the FA market this year is fat with it. No need to swing deals.

You're all over complicating stuff.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Good lord, what is this untouchable? There are very few players in this league that are untouchable. Now, you can say that teams aren't going to give up what you want which makes a trade not likely but untouchable not at all.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Good lord, what is this untouchable? There are very few players in this league that are untouchable. Now, you can say that teams aren't going to give up what you want which makes a trade not likely but untouchable not at all.

"Untouchable" in the sense that it makes zero sense to trade them given what the team needs are and what is on the market.

I'm not saying Baez is Mike Trout. What I'm saying is that the moves the Cubs need to make aren't really sensibly made by trading possible elite every day players at this point.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:

I think at you have to look at "untouchable" in context. Of course no one is untouchable it's a matter of value. I think untouchable in terms of baseball discussion means "highly improbable". There are no impossibles.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
In all honesty I doubt anyone gets traded this offseason. Lots of assets. Trading a guy to free up space for a situational hitter? :aj:
Nice strawman. And yes, it's extremely likely someone is getting traded. We don't know who.

You can get situational bats in the free agency market for peanuts. The biggest issue the team has is starting pitching and the FA market this year is fat with it. No need to swing deals.

You're all over complicating stuff.
Wrong. You get a lead-off guy who actually gets on base and then your young players who swung and missed in too many critical points in the playoffs, whether due to umpires having relaxed zones or players being too picky. Like I said previously, the young hitters are going to have to use the bittersweet experience to tweak their mental approach at the plate. I've never heard anything more stupid in my life that someone trading for a "situational hitter". If that's the best argument you have for defending a player like Baez from getting traded...yeah, Maddon loves him so much, which is why he was playing behind both Castro and Russell and Bryant was staying at 3B, even though he's too tall defensively for the position. Come up with something better than a gross misrepresentation of my post next time. :rolleyes:

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why would we trade for a second baseman when you have a plethora of up the middle talent? Castro contact was phenomenal in the second half and good overall. He will never walk a lot but neither does Jose Altuve. This team is young. Don't shake it up much. Look at the Royals. They were the young team last year and now they are the grizzle vets. They tweaked their team. This is a core that played very well together. You want to keep that going.

This. Right now WAY too many people overreacting to losing in the NLCS.

Just relax.

No need to start trading guys like Baez or Soler and even talking about trading Rizzo or Bryant should be a bannable offense.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
"Untouchable" in the sense that it makes zero sense to trade them given what the team needs are and what is on the market.

I'm not saying Baez is Mike Trout. What I'm saying is that the moves the Cubs need to make aren't really sensibly made by trading possible elite every day players at this point.
Elite players are missed in a lineup. Possible elite players aren't.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:

Except that you built up a stockpile of them because of the volatility of drafting and developing pitchers. Bats were a safer bet and nobody had tried this before. You have to be willing to trade them when pitching value comes your way. That's not to say they will trade anyone but if they didn't listen and consider they wouldn't be doing their jobs.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
A possible elite bat? This team already has too much swing and miss power bats in the lineup. Situational hitting on this team is not there. Everybody loves everybody in that organization. It sucks to fire people. It sucks to trade them, too. Baez is the most tradable without upsetting the apple cart so to speak.

Boy would it be terrible to judge rookies who are at advanced ages as to whether or not they're going to be swing and miss type guys. The problem with this team isn't that they're swing and miss bats (hell Bryce Harper is a swing and miss bat) but they have a roster full of guys who aren't making good swings in certain situations. That's the hardest (and typically last) thing any good hitter learns.

Guys I absolutely wouldn't trade for what they'd get back
Rizzo
Bryant
Schwarber
Soler
Russell

that could be your 2-6 for at least the next four-six years easy.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nice strawman. And yes, it's extremely likely someone is getting traded.

:lol:

Like who?

Do you really expect the Cubs after ONE loss in the NLCS to start trading away key pieces of the core that got them there for no real reason?

Who are these young cost controlled pitchers they will be going after?

a
Like I said previously, the young hitters are going to have to use the bittersweet experience to tweak their mental approach at the plate. I've never heard anything more stupid in my life that someone trading for a "situational hitter".
That's what you're proposing.

which is why he was playing behind both Castro and Russell and Bryant was staying at 3B
Because All those guys are REALLY good players too or were playing really well at the time. You aren't just going to randomly bench guys that late in the year because you like a September call up a lot. It's very well known Maddon is extremely high on Baez. It's not like I'm saying something that isn't out there already.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Except that you built up a stockpile of them because of the volatility of drafting and developing pitchers. Bats were a safer bet and nobody had tried this before. You have to be willing to trade them when pitching value comes your way. That's not to say they will trade anyone but if they didn't listen and consider they wouldn't be doing their jobs.

The issue is in today's MLB for the most part there is more value in bats than arms. Plus for what the Cubs need...they can buy it without sacrificing the more valuable asset(bats)

Trading one of those valuable assets would be absurd.

The Cubs can keep their core and fill in the holes they need. No need to weaken one to achieve the other.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
:lol:

Like who?

Do you really expect the Cubs after ONE loss in the NLCS to start trading away key pieces of the core that got them there for no real reason?
It's possible. The thread title is about a radio program, not the personal opinion of Parade-Rain.

Who are these young cost controlled pitchers they will be going after?
LOL, Read all the trades people have already proposed along with trading partners. I'm not wasting my time repeating them to you.

That's what you're proposing.
No. That's not what I'm proposing. It's what you're misrepresenting in order to argue on the internet, thus making yourself look like a doofus.
Because All those guys are REALLY good players too or were playing really well at the time. You aren't just going to randomly bench guys that late in the year because you like a September call up a lot. It's very well known Maddon is extremely high on Baez. It's not like I'm saying something that isn't out there already.
It's not like anyone like Baez has never been traded before. There are any number of players, depending on who comes back that could be part of a trade.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
LOL, Read all the trades people have already proposed along with trading partners.

Please tell me who YOU think the Cubs should trade for.

No. That's not what I'm proposing.
It absolutely is. Your issue so far is situational hitting. So if you're trading a guy out you'd want that back.

Trading Baez out for someone who isn't a situational hitter wouldn't fix your issue with this team. So yes...it's absolutely what you're wanting

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Please tell me who YOU think the Cubs should trade for.
There are any number of pitchers being mentioned. I am through discussing this with you.

It absolutely is. Your issue so far is situational hitting. So if you're trading a guy out you'd want that back.
Wrong. I've specifically stated what I expect the young hitters to work on this off-season. Since you can't seem to do anything other than continue to misrepresent my position, I'm through discussing this with you.

Trading Baez out for someone who isn't a situational hitter wouldn't fix your issue with this team. So yes...it's absolutely what you're wanting
The Cubs are going to be trading for more pitching. This is your continued strawman. I'm finished discussing this with you, especially since you appear to be deliberately obtuse.