#MLBFrontOffice: What's next for the Cubs?

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Schwarber, Castro, CJ Edwards for Sale...get stud pitcher on huge club friendly contract and White Sox get back Blue Chip Player in Schwarber and legit young upgrade in Castro. CJ Edwards can come in and compete for #4 or 5 slot.

I'd also take Rizzo and Soler for Sale.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Sure you would. Epstein isn't going to get fleeced though, so that isn't going to happen. You could maybe get one or the other for Sale and that's it.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
No thanks. Not interested in Castro or Edwards. Edwards is not better than what we have already. I like Kyle and he can DH for us. Throw in Soler and a couple of great minor league prospects.

I say no thanks to Sale...period. He didn't look like the same guy towards the tail end of the season....perhaps the losing took it's toll, lack of runs, bad defense. He seems like a great guy, I hope I'm wrong but I wouldn't be surprised to see him take a step back next year.

hester247

Liked Posts:
Sure you would. Epstein isn't going to get fleeced though, so that isn't going to happen. You could maybe get one or the other for Sale and that's it.

well that's just homer thinking..Rizzo and top prospect or Soler and mutiple top Prospects ....Sale is top 3-5 pitcher in all of baseball and is on a hugely team friendly cap hit..You trade a ton to get him but then you have a #1 ace or #2 (with Arrieta) and then have a ton of cap room to sign a huge outfield upgrade like Heyward. If Cubs go after David Price or Greinke that is all they are adding to roster..If they get Sale they can then add Hayward with money saved. So think like this Schwarber, Castro, Edwards (maybe Almora) for Sale ..you get the number #1 pitcher who is better than David Price by the way and comparable to Greinke while younger and way cheaper and then get to add Hayward

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
well that's just homer thinking..Rizzo and top prospect or Soler and mutiple top Prospects ....Sale is top 3-5 pitcher in all of baseball and is on a hugely team friendly cap hit..You trade a ton to get him but then you have a #1 ace or #2 (with Arrieta) and then have a ton of cap room to sign a huge outfield upgrade like Heyward. If Cubs go after David Price or Greinke that is all they are adding to roster..If they get Sale they can then add Hayward with money saved. So think like this Schwarber, Castro, Edwards (maybe Almora) for Sale ..you get the number #1 pitcher who is better than David Price by the way and comparable to Greinke while younger and way cheaper and then get to add Hayward
The Cubs are not trading away their team leader for Sale. It simply isn't going to happen. The Cubs are not trading away two of the players who played significant roles this post season and are part of the young core. Why would they spend so much time acquiring so much young talent that got them to the dance, only to dismantle a significant portion of that team? That's dumb. It isn't going to happen and that isn't "homerism".

hester247

Liked Posts:
The Cubs are not trading away their team leader for Sale. It simply isn't going to happen. The Cubs are not trading away two of the players who played significant roles this post season and are part of the young core. Why would they spend so much time acquiring so much young talent that got them to the dance, only to dismantle a significant portion of that team? That's dumb. It isn't going to happen and that isn't "homerism".

Why would they acquire mulitple players who play same position? Baez/Russell, Almora/Eddy Julio Ramirez...in order to get a top player you will have to trade a top player..not quite sure what about that you are not understanding. If that's not the route they want to go then yes just OVERPAY and get Price or Grienke and hamstring future cap for players like Arrieta, Russell, Bryant....but hey you have all the answers figure it out

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Why would they acquire mulitple players who play same position? Baez/Russell, Almora/Eddy Julio Ramirez
The answer is to provide the team with talent to trade away along with a continuous pipeline of talent, should a player get injured, traded or signed elsewhere as a FA.

...in order to get a top player you will have to trade a top player.
No shit, sherlock. Both Rizzo and Soler are top players. They aren't both getting traded in the same imaginary deal thought up by a Sux fan for Sale.

.not quite sure what about that you are not understanding.
You seem to be the one with a misrepresenting posts problem.

If that's not the route they want to go then yes just OVERPAY and get Price or Grienke and hamstring future cap for players like Arrieta, Russell, Bryant....but hey you have all the answers figure it out
They won't be handicapping themselves by signing Grienke or similar. The organization has money and will make even more when the new TV deal is complete. This isn't a small market team like the White Sox, let alone a mid-market team like the Cardinals. They can sign a top pitcher, sign Heyward and trade a solid player away along with some other young farm talent for a young TOR and not bat an eye at this juncture.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Why would they acquire mulitple players who play same position? Baez/Russell, Almora/Eddy Julio Ramirez...in order to get a top player you will have to trade a top playe

Prospects fail. SS and CF are arguably the 2 most difficult positions to find players for. The rest you can figure out later but you need to be strong there.

hester247

Liked Posts:

Well since you want to be incompetent and dissect everything let's start here. The Cubs like i illustrated below have been doubling up and drafting the best players available regardless of position so when an opportunity arises they can use that depth to trade for legit players ( Sale) is one of them. Soler in no universe would get Sale unless packaged with other players. Its not called dismantling as it is cashing in the bonus chips you have to make other moves..ie the example i gave of getting Sale accomplishes the need of a #1 or #2 legit pitcher while saving enough cap space to get an additional STAR like Hayward...i would personally take Hayward over Soler straight up..but hey that's just me. For the lame ass route of calling me a Sux fan well that's just lame..i am not a hater of the Cubbies in fact a quite admire the team Theo and Jed have assembled

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
For about 30 years, give or take....since the Dallas Green years, I've wanted this team to do exactly what they've done. Blow it up and build it up through the farm system, first...then supplement players through free agency. They have finally done it and on top of that did it in a way I would've never thought of.....build your core of position players in the draft and get your pitchers through trades and free agency. Just makes so much sense as 90% of the MLB GM's are stalking every big arm they see and passing on really good position players in the process during nearly every draft. They have built a team that should be a contender for years to come.....hopefully, they are smart enough to not fall back into the age old Cub's way of trying to win now....at any cost. You don't trade away what took you three years to build...you add to it. You don't trade away a kid who still has yet to reach his prime for some pitcher that...if he stays healthy...might have two or three good years left. It is just moronic.

I really need to just stay away from the trade threads....just way too annoying.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Trade rizzo
Trade bryant
Trade schwarber
Trade soler

Ummmm...most of these guys have 300-500 Major Leauge at bats and are under 23.....they are NOT trading them away just yet.

They are a cheap, all under control for years, revenues will go up as will the major leauge payroll.

The cubs MAY trade one redundant player (baez or castro) to try and snag a young pitcher or short term cf but they likely will mostly stand pat and add thru fa and front load any deals to any high $ fa they sign (geienke zimmerman price).

My ideal off season

Grienke (4 or 5 years front loaded)
Lh or sh cf (span or Fowler) on a shorter term (2)
A lh bullpen arm
Minor fa signings to supplement roster (5th of, replacement for herrera, etx)
Possibly uograde back end starter via trade of hamell/hendricks and montero while eating some salary of montero

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:

Would love to have Sale, but not for that price.

Furthermore, if I could get Lackey for instance as a short term filler or bridge, and then trade Soler for a cost controlled pitcher, essentially I get two pitchers which the Cubs need for 15 million total.

So, the Cubs could get the two pitchers, sign Heyward and actually get better on the mound and right field for about the same price that they would have to pay Zach Greinke.

Sure Sale would give them one of the better rotations in baseball, but you don't need to dismantle a team like that, you just need to tweak a few of the weak spots in the line-up.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers

LOLOLOLOLOL Irony.

PickSix

Liked Posts:
Anyone wanting to trade any of these young kids should be bitch slapped. Yes you pick up the phone and listen to offers in case some bozo offers you way too much, but the odds of that are nil. You are not the one picking up the phone and making calls.
The original plan is coming together perfectly. Theo knew when he was drafting that one day he would have to buy his pitching. That day is now. And the needed piece is Greinke. To get over the hump in the playoffs, Greinke is the answer. Adding another #3 and #4 would help in the regular season but does nothing for post season.
Adding Heyward would be priority #2, but that sounds like it would start hitting uncomfortable payroll numbers. Ultimately this addition is up to the Rickets. Roll with Span or Fowler if the owners don't step it up.
Back end of rotation and bullpen will work itself out and can be addressed as needed later or for the price is right FA. A lefty set up guy would be very beneficial.

AHSIllini32

Liked Posts:
No thanks. Not interested in Castro or Edwards. Edwards is not better than what we have already. I like Kyle and he can DH for us. Throw in Soler and a couple of great minor league prospects.

Schwarber, Soler and a couple great minor leaguers for just Sale? HA!

AHSIllini32

Liked Posts:

You also lose a ton of offense and in case you haven't noticed, this front office isn't about to give up a bunch of home grown players to weaken their future.

hester247

Liked Posts:
You also lose a ton of offense and in case you haven't noticed, this front office isn't about to give up a bunch of home grown players to weaken their future.

My point was to get Sale and then sign Hayward so you actually dont lose much if anything in Offense

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I think opinion 4 seems to make sense but in reality does not. Young relief pitchers seem to be the most volatile year in and year out. Piecing it together outside of a couple guys is a great strategy and doesn't really cost much on the open market.

I also like his idea of JA Happ at the back end of the rotation.

So would Happ's family. They could see him pitch lore often vs all his other stops. Already on 5 teams, heading for #6. I'd be OK with adding him at the right price, and if he is our second starter acquisition of the off season.