#MLBFrontOffice: What's next for the Cubs?

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Sure you would. Epstein isn't going to get fleeced though, so that isn't going to happen. You could maybe get one or the other for Sale and that's it.
Not in the same ball park. Theo wants to fleece. But without a willing partner best of luck

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I say no thanks to Sale...period. He didn't look like the same guy towards the tail end of the season....perhaps the losing took it's toll, lack of runs, bad defense. He seems like a great guy, I hope I'm wrong but I wouldn't be surprised to see him take a step back next year.
You are wrong. Its his mo to test when things are done.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
well that's just homer thinking..Rizzo and top prospect or Soler and mutiple top Prospects ....Sale is top 3-5 pitcher in all of baseball and is on a hugely team friendly cap hit..You trade a ton to get him but then you have a #1 ace or #2 (with Arrieta) and then have a ton of cap room to sign a huge outfield upgrade like Heyward. If Cubs go after David Price or Greinke that is all they are adding to roster..If they get Sale they can then add Hayward with money saved. So think like this Schwarber, Castro, Edwards (maybe Almora) for Sale ..you get the number #1 pitcher who is better than David Price by the way and comparable to Greinke while younger and way cheaper and then get to add Hayward
Pass

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
For about 30 years, give or take....since the Dallas Green years, I've wanted this team to do exactly what they've done. Blow it up and build it up through the farm system, first...then supplement players through free agency. They have finally done it and on top of that did it in a way I would've never thought of.....build your core of position players in the draft and get your pitchers through trades and free agency. Just makes so much sense as 90% of the MLB GM's are stalking every big arm they see and passing on really good position players in the process during nearly every draft. They have built a team that should be a contender for years to come.....hopefully, they are smart enough to not fall back into the age old Cub's way of trying to win now....at any cost. You don't trade away what took you three years to build...you add to it. You don't trade away a kid who still has yet to reach his prime for some pitcher that...if he stays healthy...might have two or three good years left. It is just moronic.

I really need to just stay away from the trade threads....just way too annoying.

With you saying Sale has two or three years left you should stay away from baseball period

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Not in the same ball park. Theo wants to fleece. But without a willing partner best of luck
No. Theo expects a fair return. That's one of the reasons Castro didn't get traded.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Trade rizzo
Trade bryant
Trade schwarber
Trade soler

Ummmm...most of these guys have 300-500 Major Leauge at bats and are under 23.....they are NOT trading them away just yet.

They are a cheap, all under control for years, revenues will go up as will the major leauge payroll.

The cubs MAY trade one redundant player (baez or castro) to try and snag a young pitcher or short term cf but they likely will mostly stand pat and add thru fa and front load any deals to any high $ fa they sign (geienke zimmerman price).

My ideal off season

Grienke (4 or 5 years front loaded)
Lh or sh cf (span or Fowler) on a shorter term (2)
A lh bullpen arm
Minor fa signings to supplement roster (5th of, replacement for herrera, etx)
Possibly uograde back end starter via trade of hamell/hendricks and montero while eating some salary of montero

I can see this. Most likely

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Would love to have Sale, but not for that price.

Furthermore, if I could get Lackey for instance as a short term filler or bridge, and then trade Soler for a cost controlled pitcher, essentially I get two pitchers which the Cubs need for 15 million total.

So, the Cubs could get the two pitchers, sign Heyward and actually get better on the mound and right field for about the same price that they would have to pay Zach Greinke.

Sure Sale would give them one of the better rotations in baseball, but you don't need to dismantle a team like that, you just need to tweak a few of the weak spots in the line-up.

I hear ya.

But kyle goes to first, Heyward goes to right and now you have Sale. Thats very impressive

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
With you saying Sale has two or three years left you should stay away from baseball period

the point is pitching is the larger unknown in baseball. one injury to his twig of a left arm and its over for him. i personally(and i think theo is of the same mindset) would not trade away any of these young guys. there is plenty of places to play them all, joe proved that, and they provide the cubs with a lineup 1-8 that can hurt you at any time. they aren't far away from being a championship roster already, you add to that, you don't subtract pieces to the puzzle. i fully expect david price will be in a cubs uni next season giving the cubs a dominant 1 - 3 rotation come playoff time. then they will access where they are at come the trade deadline and make any moves they feel necessary at that point

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Or like the paid guys think he severely overvalued him
Those paid guys didn't get the Red Sox a couple of titles and turn around the Cubs a year before he even thought he would. IOW, whatever "paid guys" you are talking about, they and you are full of crap.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Those paid guys didn't get the Red Sox a couple of titles and turn around the Cubs a year before he even thought he would. IOW, whatever "paid guys" you are talking about, they and you are full of crap.

Failed analogy

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
I hear ya.

But kyle goes to first, Heyward goes to right and now you have Sale. Thats very impressive

I can't take away fifty plus HR's out of the line-up, both relatively patient hitters, and supplement it with Jason Heyward, and a pitcher that pitches every 5th day.

Heyward is good, don't get me wrong, but I can still get him while strengthening up the rotation and not trading away extremely valuable pieces.

Now, Soler I would be willing to deal, especially if I had Heyward, and I would say that Soler could headline a package or be a part of a three team deal to get some cost controlled pitching in here.

If they were willing to go after Shields, then I see no reason that they won't go after Lackey on a similar AAV, but not for four years.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I can't take away fifty plus HR's out of the line-up, both relatively patient hitters, and supplement it with Jason Heyward, and a pitcher that pitches every 5th day.

Heyward is good, don't get me wrong, but I can still get him while strengthening up the rotation and not trading away extremely valuable pieces.

Now, Soler I would be willing to deal, especially if I had Heyward, and I would say that Soler could headline a package or be a part of a three team deal to get some cost controlled pitching in here.

If they were willing to go after Shields, then I see no reason that they won't go after Lackey on a similar AAV, but not for four years.

I agree it is better to pick up a pitcher or so off of FA if possible. It only costs cash and isn't really that less than getting Sale.

I wouldn't call it a 50 homer loss though. You get Kyle full time at a position that won't cost you the runs defensively. You also get Heyward with his power and his defense blows past whatever loss there is between him and Soler. Plus the gain of Sale over Hammel/Hendricks/Haren. I think it's a huge improvement albeit a risk as well.

A pitcher that goes every five days is the equal at worse to an every day position player. Over the five days of baseball they have equal influence on the game really.